Three thousand foreign teachers waiting to return to Thailand - 165 Filipinos arrived at weekend

webfact

57 minutes ago, NoComment said:

I am sure any student would agree that a farang English teacher (L1 versus L2) is a far superior English teacher than a Filipino.

Me thinks Rooster would agree also.

However, if they have all of the correct paperwork etc I suppose a Filipino is better than nothing.

I'm a British person ethically English. I find Philippine people in general speak English phonetically good. Water is water not Wara or Warda as the Americans pronounce it or words beginning with TH pronounced with the phonetic sound of D when used in a word. Dhis, Dhat, Dhese and Dhoes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I have been here for over 10 years now. There is not any noticeable difference in English ability. I would question why we need these "teachers" most of whom are not qualified to teach in their own countries.I have met native English speakers from Kenya, Phillippines, Poland, Germany.....very few teaching qualifications, at best a TEFL.

How about some plumbers, drug addict hippies, and Joe six pack from English speaking countries? Is Phillippines or Philippines? I am confused. I will never get a job as English teacher in Thailand. My English is no goodie.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, zyphodb said:

I would have thought that the only farang teachers coming are for high salary international schools, I can't imagine any going to that expense and hoop jumping for a 35k gov. school job... No doubt some sort of deal over the quarantine hotel,(read camping in a football stadium) for the Filipinos who will, I'm sure be most of the numbers...  

Actually PhDs in the USA often (perhaps usually) can find only adjunct positions that pay by the class. Lucky to get 6 classes a year. In Thailand a teacher with a BA or preferably an MA can usually get a 12 month contract. Compare cost of living and a BA grad in Thailand is often better off than a PhD grad in the USA.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, redwood1 said:

So how did these 165 Filipino teachers get approved?.....And why are 3,000 farang teachers waiting?.......I would speculate most Filipino teachers would be less able to jump through all the hoops and pay the money compared to most farang teachers...

What are they going to teach ..

Inglish .. ?

Two of my past pupils are currently teaching in Bkk. Salary 90K each.....flights and insurance paid. To put that in perspective thats only a few hundred quid short of my salary here in UK and I've been teaching 23 years.

At present I am on a career break here...I have a job in Thailand but:

Covid test £200 (could be a little more or less)

Flight out of LHR £2800 one way (repat flight if I can get it)

ASQ Lucky if you can find any less than £1500

Fit to fly £30 - £50

Flight to LHR £150 - £250 

There is absolutely no way I am shelling out that amount of cash to head out to what was LOS and now seems to be descending into chaos.

The downside.......I'm not permitted to work here at home on a career break......Joy abounding!

8 hours ago, biggles45 said:

'And 100k insurance is a joke. 

The $100,000 cover is very small BUT the hard part is it has to cover Covid19. I am in the Philippines now and an insurance agent in Manila could not find any company here that would do that. Presumably the cover had to apply for the whole year as well. 

There are companies in Thailand to which you can apply. I am currently in contact with one of them based here in Thailand. The cost is not that prohibitive. PM me if you like ( I am not an agent and have no interest in promoting them )

8 hours ago, biggles45 said:

The $100,000 cover is very small BUT the hard part is it has to cover Covid19. I am in the Philippines now and an insurance agent in Manila could not find any company here that would do that. Presumably the cover had to apply for the whole year as well. 

Got Cigna coverage for Thailand, not including the US, and I did not get the cheapest plan.  About $225/mo and can cancel at any time.  Came with a COVID-19 certificate if you ask.

15 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Got Cigna coverage for Thailand, not including the US, and I did not get the cheapest plan.  About $225/mo and can cancel at any time.  Came with a COVID-19 certificate if you ask.

15/20,000 Baht per year certificate included with another company ( I have mentioned that I was looking into it...I will elaborate once I have made a decision ) but it is travel insurance not a health insurance.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile foreign teachers have already started arriving. The media said that 165 Filipino teachers arrived on a Philippines Air Asia flight at the weekend.

So the standard of English language & pronunciation will not be improving anytime soon.

Teaching broken English is more important than speaking with intelligence. None of them can put a well structured sentence together and don't even know the meaning of the words they are using. Did you ever notice when you speak with them you get the same look as you get from a fish on the other side of the glass in a fishbowl?

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Can't see any of those teachers affording the $100k insurance, period testing and paying for their quarantines as teachers usually not that flush with cash to say the least...

Plus they have a memory... a long one.

When this all started they were dropped like a red-hot-brick by the schools.

Thai teachers were paid salaries during the closure so they were happy regardless the length of time.

Foreign teachers were not paid anything, not even a retainer.

No help from the government, nothing from welfare [even though they pay taxes] nothing form anyone.

Why do you think they'll be beating down the door to come back?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, biggles45 said:

what happens if you bought a year to get in and then cancelled after...refund or would need it again next visa run?...do they actually confirm this with the company as i know LOS is all about fake documents-degrees

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

Can't see any of those teachers affording the $100k insurance, period testing and paying for their quarantines as teachers usually not that flush with cash to say the least...

Well.. coming from the philippines.. you can make a make up a fake insurance policy .However the USA and UK, it will be real and expensive.

It is only going to be for 90days until they get the work permit and insurance from the school.

the cheap quarantine is Bht 1000/day per person at Sattahip . I am sure the private school has provided hem with extra money.  Besides they are on the payroll because it is in their contract. they will get paid working in their cell hotel on shcool stuff or doing online classes for 2 weeks.

so it will work. Parent of students will afford to pay te quarantine service for these teachers. PRivate school at $25K per year can afford another $2k for quarantine too.

No sweat for teachers.

However nobody will come and work for public schools.. except philipinos.. unless they got some sort of a gimmick ..always possible when it comes to accomdate the government education.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

what happens if you bought a year to get in and then cancelled after...refund or would need it again next visa run?...do they actually confirm this with the company as i know LOS is all about fake documents-degrees

They will be fake health insurance policy just to get in. once the work permit is issue they should get health insurance from the school.-- they should be OK..

It will be my opinion that no smart teacher will spend Bht 20,000 just to walk into a job in Thailand. They can cancel the job any time contract or not.

the only issue is the upfront money to enter Thailand.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, smokinfun said:

While we farang are in Thailand for the foreseeable future (due to the inability to fly freely) why not give something back and teach?  The money is small but the rewards are great.

Indeed. I've been recommending this to everyone worried about their visa.

Walk into any school right now, they're all hurting for teachers. They'll want you to start immediately, and will get started on your Non-B. But only if you can, like Edward James Olmos once told me, Reach For The Power and Teach.

IMG-92e2895bc04e9ccb6a61db5729c42a6e-V.jpg

On 8/10/2020 at 7:53 PM, ezzra said:

It is like $80, I just got my COE and VISA approved from Consulate, I actually am about to go on a repat flight next week.

On 8/10/2020 at 8:26 PM, redwood1 said:

So how did these 165 Filipino teachers get approved?.....And why are 3,000 farang teachers waiting?.......I would speculate most Filipino teachers would be less able to jump through all the hoops and pay the money compared to most farang teachers...

Unless

Some one plans to pay the Filipino teachers less and does not mind footing the bill...

Philippines is in nightmare mode now, people starving, no work they probably sold everything they had so they could come to work.

20 hours ago, biggles45 said:

Super easy, there are tons of places that specifically offer covid coverage. Call up 7 corners insurance. I paid like $80.

22 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Ok so who is teaching now at the Thai EP and international schools at this time???

God USA and foreign teachers where CV IS ALIVE AND WELL?

im passing on sending my kids there to those schools

No one is teaching at the International Schools, because they are on school holiday.

17 hours ago, Percy P said:

What subjects are these teachers going to teach. If it English then they should be able to speak English phonetically and made to recite the alphabet letters phonetic sounds as spoken in a word  American English is not British English and should not accepted

Americans have butchered the English language and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near any schools in Thiland

On 8/11/2020 at 4:53 AM, ezzra said:

It's not the insurance that cost $100.000,....the insurance has to cover to a value of $100.000....I pay 312 Euro for a year long Travel insurance for my wife and I, that cover this.