Elevators In Bkk - Don't They Need Licenses Posted?

kuma

So my building was built not that long ago, on sukhumvit not far from asok. it is a low cost place but very nicely located so a good deal.

has some things not so good about it but one thing that interests me - since I live on the top floor, is that the elevator has no certificate of inspection, or whatever it is you want to call it, on the wall.

i thought about it and i thought all elevators had to post those. is that true? they cut all they could in terms of costs to build this place to keep it inexpensive, is it possible they are skipping elevator codes in some way?? or is it common to not post those certificates in every case, maybe just keep them filed on site.

the only other place i can recall now that did not have a license was in russia in my apt there, but it WAS a death trap! likely though, i am just nuts - what else is new :o

So my building was built not that long ago, on sukhumvit not far from asok. it is a low cost place but very nicely located so a good deal.

has some things not so good about it but one thing that interests me - since I live on the top floor, is that the elevator has no certificate of inspection, or whatever it is you want to call it, on the wall.

i thought about it and i thought all elevators had to post those. is that true? they cut all they could in terms of costs to build this place to keep it inexpensive, is it possible they are skipping elevator codes in some way?? or is it common to not post those certificates in every case, maybe just keep them filed on site.

the only other place i can recall now that did not have a license was in russia in my apt there, but it WAS a death trap! likely though, i am just nuts - what else is new :o

This is thailand :D:D:D

The walk up the stairs will keep you fit! :D

Ours has a certificate of maintainence, annual checks and recently the whole mechanism was replaced - cost obviously borne by the residents. I did complain that as we live on the ground floor there was no need for us to chip in :o

I don't think their is a legal obligation to have elevators inspected on a regular basis here. If there is the law is regularly flouted as is the case with most laws here. Some elevator companies advertise that they do their own inspections as part of their service package. I read one sign in an elevator the other day that said that technicians make monthly inspections, etc.

BTW, there have been more than a few elevator fatalities here. I recall a few years back seeing a picture of some african guy who got cut in half somewhere in Thonburi I think. Heads have been lost too. He who hesitates is lost, so get on, get off in a flash--don't tarry!

There are no legal obligations but it is a reflection on the quality of the property management. Send a letter to your Juristic Condonminium Management Committee for discussion at the (hopefully) monthly meetings or better still if you own units get involved at the AGM / EGM's.

Wow a lot of response.

we rent here so ther eis no board to speak to really, the option is to leave i would think.

we will on the top floor so i dont relish the walk everyday - esp at this time of year but i agree it would keep me fit!

what a shame and it is cause for concern - it si the only lift the building has (a normal building this size i think would have at least a service elevator as well) and it goes as hard during the night as it does in the day given the building demographics so it is really working. there is not even a sign regarding capacity limits, and it does get full

sigh, tit :o

There are no legal obligations but it is a reflection on the quality of the property management. Send a letter to your Juristic Condonminium Management Committee for discussion at the (hopefully) monthly meetings or better still if you own units get involved at the AGM / EGM's.

I don't think their is a legal obligation to have elevators inspected on a regular basis here. If there is the law is regularly flouted as is the case with most laws here. Some elevator companies advertise that they do their own inspections as part of their service package. I read one sign in an elevator the other day that said that technicians make monthly inspections, etc.

BTW, there have been more than a few elevator fatalities here. I recall a few years back seeing a picture of some african guy who got cut in half somewhere in Thonburi I think. Heads have been lost too. He who hesitates is lost, so get on, get off in a flash--don't tarry!

ahhh stop it, stop it now! :D:o

i was at the post office in bkk i don't know which one, i was getting in an elevator, the door wouldn't remain open as i walked in and it slammed right into me. I was scared that it will just keep on shutting and i'd be torn into 2. man that hurted so bad. i'll take the stairs instead of the elevator in thailand... :D

edit - clarifications

Edited by noungning

You sure about this?

No legal obligations?

I was sure this was a world wide thing.

This also means that the elevators are not insured either.

Sailor