Loved and were loved, and now we lie

In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

If ye break faith with us who die

We shall not sleep, though poppies grow

In Flanders fields.

The following is an explanatory excerpt from the Australian War Memorial's website:

The Flanders poppy has been a part of Armistice or Remembrance Day ritual since the early 1920s and is also increasingly being used as part of ANZAC Day observances. During the First World War, the red poppies were seen to be among the first living plants that sprouted from the devastation of the battlefields of northern France and Belgium. Soldiers' folklore had it that the poppies were vivid red from having been nurtured in ground drenched with the blood of their comrades. The sight of the poppies on the battlefield at Ypres in 1915 moved Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae to write the poem In Flanders Fields. Flanders poppies also featured prominently in several other literary responses to the carnage of the Western Front. In English literature of the nineteenth century poppies had symbolised sleep or a state of oblivion; this symbolism was carried into the literature of the First World War, but a new, more powerful symbolism was now attached to the poppy - that of the sacrifice of shed blood.

An American, Moina Michael, read McCrae's poem and was so moved by it that she wrote a reply and decided to wear a red poppy as a way of keeping faith, as McCrae urged in his poem. Michael worked for the American YMCA and at a meeting of YMCA secretaries from other countries, held in November 1918, she discussed the poem and her poppies. Madame Guerin, the French YMCA secretary, was similarly inspired and she approached organisations throughout the allied nations to sell poppies to raise money for widows, orphans and needy veterans and their families.

The poppy soon became widely accepted throughout the allied nations as the flower of remembrance to be worn on Armistice Day. The Australian Returned Soldiers and Sailors Imperial League (the forerunner to the RSL) first sold poppies for Armistice Day 1921. For this drive, the league imported one million silk poppies, made in French orphanages. Each poppy was sold for a shilling: five pence was donated to a charity for French children, six pence went to the league's own welfare work and one penny went to the league's national coffers. Today, the RSL sells poppies for Remembrance Day to raise funds for welfare work, although they have long since ceased to import them from France.

Lest We Forget

:o

Ka mate, ka mate

Ka ora, ka ora

Ka mate, ka mate

Ka ora, ka ora

Tēnei te tangata pūhuruhuru

Nāna nei i tiki mai whakawhiti te rā

Ā upane, ka upane

Ā upane, ka upane

Whiti te rā, hī

I had a great Maori mate and he uttered your nik name quite often. Everytime I see your nik, I think of him.

BE STRONG!

In Flanders my generation has not forgotten.

The soldiers in the picture are Aussies in the trench called Flanders near Ypres (Ieper).Hopefully some have survived to return to their loved ones.

Thanks for this thread,

a flemming

onzestan

Edited by onzestan

Attaturkswords.JPG

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever read.

I knew nothing of this passage until I physically stood in front the statue. Luckily, it was pouring rain as I finished reading it, otherwise my wet face would have given the game away.

Nothing more humbling than seeing row upon row of graves of 18 year old kids.

Yep, they were more man than I'll ever be. Of the ones who returned, are any of the old coots still around?

Most of the WW2 returned servicemen wouldn't let me into their clubs and whotnot; musta thought I was Japanese....the dodery old fools that they were :-)

Still remember school service each year.

Of course the thing they didn't teach, was 'if' I recall correctly, other than sending in the Aussies and Kiwis as canon fodder, the Poms also sent in even more of the Indians and other coloureds; I wonder whether they mark the anniversary as well; probably not given that there are far more of the coloureds than there are of the white farmers from Timaru :o

Man, i am so PC. I should be a toilet. Cause I like to P.

Often my non-Australian friends have asked me what it is that I like so much about Australia..when you have spent time with the Australians you will understand there are many reasons for it, but I take the occasion of ANZAC Day to share with you one aspect of the Australian spirit. I can only hope that the memories of the casualties and cruelties of war will remind each of us on the need for us to continue to play a role in rejecting and condemning violence.

In Australia and New Zealand, the day their force landed on Gallipoli, a battle lost, was picked as the day to commemorate and honour the lives of those that fought and died. It was not a day of victory that was chosen, but a day to honour the courage of those that fought and died during the campaign.

And from Major General Bill Crews who puts it across much more clearly than I can:

"And yes, they (servicemen and women) fought for our nations, our flags, our people, and their families. But as noble as these ideals were, their commitment in combat, their raw courage, and their self-sacrifice in the face of often overwhelming odds, were driven largely by those physically closest to them – their mates. .........Mateship is at the heart of what we refer to as the ANZAC values: it drives loyalty, courage, endurance and sacrifice. It is a compelling reason for most acts of heroism, and the suffering so often experienced by our servicemen and women: for not letting down the team is a powerful motivator in our nation’s psyche."

So strong is the spirit of mateship and equality in Australian culture that the Roll of Honour that lists by surname and initials all those Australians who have died in war are shown without rank or any other distinguishing award, general and private soldier alike honoured in equal sacrifice.

Lest we forget.

Rest in peace

First time ever have not been in Australia on Anzac day. I am glad a logged on today, makes me remember what the day is really about especially seeing the plaques for those who sacrificed so much. Working on today just does not quite feel right.

Hope all the old diggers are enjoying a beer and a game of two up. head em up boys

Lest we Forget..,

Yep, they were more man than I'll ever be. Of the ones who returned, are any of the old coots still around?

Most of the WW2 returned servicemen wouldn't let me into their clubs and whotnot; musta thought I was Japanese....the dodery old fools that they were :-)

Still remember school service each year.

Of course the thing they didn't teach, was 'if' I recall correctly, other than sending in the Aussies and Kiwis as canon fodder, the Poms also sent in even more of the Indians and other coloureds; I wonder whether they mark the anniversary as well; probably not given that there are far more of the coloureds than there are of the white farmers from Timaru :o

Man, i am so PC. I should be a toilet. Cause I like to P.

all very true stevo, and the pom's and indians can talk with the aussies/kiwi's till the cows (or sheep) come home as to who lost more soldiers where.

I think the point for me is that from an Australian perspective at least, you get the sense that for some reason that the ANZAC invasion marks, somehow, the birth of the 'modern' Australia. For whatever reason, many countries foundings were in blood and war, and, regardless of the fact that Australia and NZ were created at the stroke of a pen, maybe it is human nature to want something to identify some sort of sacrifice as an integral part of a nation coming into its own.

It maybe cliche, but 'mateship', sacrifice and endurance (all displayed at Gallipoli) are seen as being an essential part of what it is to be an Australian. Whether we show these attributes on a grand scale these days of McMansions, private schooling fees and decling social services (or have ever really shown them) is another debate, but these sentiments still I beleive are at the very essence of what many Australians perceive themselves to be, and hence, why ANZAC day is quite special.

As a young British soldier I experienced my first Anzac day dawn service in the early 60,s in north eastern Thailand, it was an experience never to be forgotten, and I felt very proud this morning to dust off my beige beret, polish my medals and take part inthe service and parade , and spend some precious time, remembering fallen comrades and mates buried in foreign soil. Lest We forget!! :o Nignoy

It maybe cliche, but 'mateship', sacrifice and endurance (all displayed at Gallipoli) are seen as being an essential part of what it is to be an Australian. Whether we show these attributes on a grand scale these days of McMansions, private schooling fees and decling social services (or have ever really shown them) is another debate, but these sentiments still I beleive are at the very essence of what many Australians perceive themselves to be, and hence, why ANZAC day is quite special.

And here I was thinking of you lot as a bunch of underarm chuckers, incapable of emotion.... I know what you mean though. The way my dad put it (served in WW2 in SE Asia, lost his dad in WW1 but not at Gallipoli), the war was seen as a bunch of young guys going halfway round the world for a Hardy Boys type adventure; and we discovered that life isn't like in some book, you had to grow up and be a man.

For Australia perhaps moreso, but in Kiwiland, it was seen very much that the Poms sent in the stupid colours and colonials first rather than risk their own; true or not, it was a powerful force that first started the line towards becoming a fully fledged nation, and proved that we could stand on our own two feet. Depression pushed them a bit more, WW2 another shunt to independence.

I always thought it was the bodyline bowling from the soap dodgers was the final blow that led you lot to end up deciding to give them the boot and become a cundtry. (kingdoms have kings, principalities have princes, and Aussie is a cundtry which means you have a bunch of..... c.....ts.

Anyway, I can scarcely imagine the thought of giong through all that war malarky. These days it is every bloke for themselves cobba.

THE FINAL INSPECTION

The Soldier stood and faced his God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you Soldier,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?"

The Soldier squared his shoulders and said,

"No, my Lord, I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a dollar,

That wasn't mine to keep...

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand.

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the Soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you Soldier,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

You've done your time in hel_l."

~Author Unknown~

Hope all the old diggers are enjoying a beer and a game of two up. head em up boys

I went and had a few games of 2up with the old boys today. They are still living. Lest we forget.

NEVER FORGET WHAT THEY GAVE FOR U!!

I know it's a bit late in the day and it's not the cooking forum,but I made some of these earlier ,and they were excellent! Anzac biscuits Thai style.

INGREDIENTS

1 cup (90g) rolled oats

1 cup (150g) plain flour

1 cup (200g) firmly packed brown sugar

½ cup (45g) desiccated coconut

125g butter

2 tablespoons golden syrup

1 tablespoon water

½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

METHOD

Combine oats, sifted flour, sugar and coconut in large bowl. Combine butter, golden syrup and the water in small saucepan. Stir constantly over medium heat until butter is melted; stir in soda. Stir mixture into dry ingredients.

Place rounded teaspoons of mixture 5cm apart on lightly greased oven trays; bake in moderately slow oven about 20 minutes or until biscuits feel slightly firm. Use spatula to loosen biscuits on trays; cool on trays.

I didn't have any rolled oats so I used Muesli,

No brown sugar so I used raw sugar,

No maple syrup so I used honey. :o DELICIOUS