Expensive car repair needed - best route to go?

clarky cat

The local repair shop tried to fix the aircon last week and said they couldn’t and that about 20k baht of repairs need doing on it (not just a/c)

Normally I get the oil changed at bquik where they’ll do a free health check and give a list problems the car needs at an inflated price

Oil needs changing again as it happens so is it best to go back there, find out what’s wrong and the cost to fix it, then go to smaller repair shops and get quotes? 

Or is it better to go through bquik or a more recognised name? 

• Haha 1

Your location would greatly assist forum members advising you of places to take it.

Am sure B-Quick could sort it but I find they can be a tad expensive compared to specialty shops (like AC places) when it comes to diagnosing problems and fixing them.

It does pay to shop around for quotes though, also ask if parts quoted are OEM or aftermarket.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Am sure B-Quick could sort it but I find they can be a tad expensive compared to specialty shops (like AC places) when it comes to diagnosing problems and fixing them.

Yeah , in our area even not big town has many special repair place to ac.  My Hilux (3 years old) have had 2 times problem whit ac, only liquit was over and one times leak liquit out of system. Both repairs was more or less 500 bth . So maybe only liquid over!

• Like 2

Just now, 2 is 1 said:

Yeah , in our area even not big town has many special repair place to ac.  My Hilux (3 years old) have had 2 times problem whit ac, only liquit was over and one times leak liquit out of system. Both repairs was more or less 500 bth . So maybe only liquid over!

the evaporator  in mine started leaking. B-quick qouted me 12k to remove and replace, local AC place came in at 7k.

I purchased a new evap for 1200 and pulled the dash and did it myself.... B-quick refilled the gas for 450.

It was actually a pretty big job and I can see why they qoute that much but meh.... have tools and was off work on holidays.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Your location would greatly assist forum members advising you of places to take it.

It does pay to shop around for quotes though, also ask if parts quoted are OEM or aftermarket.

I’m in khon kaen city so plenty of options I’d assume..

1 hour ago, clarky cat said:

You don't have a thai wife or girlfriend?

Maybe someone in her family who owns a car knows where to go in town.

This can works also if you have a Thai friend from work or good relations

with your neighbor

they could even come with you to assist (Usualy it costs nothing

more than a drink or a lunch with the helper, or few gasoline for

the helper car if the repair shop is far from your location and you need

to let your car at the shop)

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, clarky cat said:

I'm in KK.  Across from the KK museum there is a huge AC shop that all the little shops send customers to who need to have the dash pulled to do AC cleaning or repair.

I too my Vigo there 2 years ago as the evaporator needed to be cleaned. They charged me B1500. it took about 90 min.

You may want to go there as all they do is AC repair. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I'm in KK.  Across from the KK museum there is a huge AC shop that all the little shops send customers to who need to have the dash pulled to do AC cleaning or repair.

I too my Vigo there 2 years ago as the evaporator needed to be cleaned. They charged me B1500. it took about 90 min.

If you are referring to King Air on Kasikorn-Thungsan, I second the motion.  Replaced my leaky evaporator for 3500, incl labor, parts, cabin filter. 8 months on and no problems. Father-son operation --- major job and they seemed to know exactly what to do.  Dashboard fully disassembled then all parts snapped back together without any squeaks or rattles.

Not a huge shop (tiny actually), not clearly marked, easy to miss.  All Thai --- not a word of English.

They are not across from KK museum which is on Lang Soon Ratchakan --- King Air is just north of the intersection on the east side

AF1QipOk2bIqfpUP3AWt9DjHqiWchKpCvtQ759r2Ng47=w262-h104-p-k-no

Edited by mikesil
save space
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

To the OP :    When looking for places/recommendations go on your local forum to ask for such from

members who live there.    Mull them over,  check them out if possible (the places),  then make

a choice.      

I used to look for the cheapest.   Now i look for the best ( which is sometimes cheap as well).

Almost everywhere has a small shop where there is quality work done.   Trick is to find them.

( and sorry  K OF mountain, on this point I do not recommend asking gf or family )   

If OP doesn't speak thai,  then ask farangs living there .