Two year old left all day in a van: Driver/teacher on duty face negligence causing death charges

webfact

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

Should throw the book at the mother sending a 2 year old on his own 

Thats one single facet of this issue. 

But there are far more, in this case the van wasn’t even registered as a School van !!!... 

What about the other kids who have died locked in school cans ???  4 Year old, 5 years old... 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/744890-four-year-old-thai-boy-dies-in-a-locked-school-van/page/6/

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/5-year-old-girl-in-thailand-dies-after-being-left-in-locked-car-for-hours

The real sad part about this - its not just Thailand. Google ‘Child dies in school van’ and there are stories from all over the world.

This isn’t one of those ‘well it happens elsewhere’ comments in an attempt to lessen the gravity of the issues in Thailand, however, it is a comment on blight of carelessness of human nature and the lowest common denominators we are sometimes forced entrusting our children to - it highlights how we can never be too careful, the consequences are simply too extreme. 

Each and everyone of these stories (globally) is tragic but also stems from not just negligence, but I would argue gross negligence. I wonder if there even is such a thing as ‘gross negligence’ in Thailand - "I didn’t mean do to do it" and a trip to the temple has a tendency to absolve one of blame in the eyes of the law here. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

An absolute disgrace that this happened, how many more?

Every few months a dead child, due to van driver/ teacher being lazy and not caring.

More than “every few months”

One per week in USA. Not hot country. Terrible.

On April 25, we saw the first vehicular heatstroke death of 2020, when a 4-year-old left a home and climbed into a vehicle without his family noticing. His death follows 52 hot car deaths in 2019, and a record 53 deaths in 2018.

HEATSTROKE FACTS 

The majority of hot car deaths — 54% — happen because someone forgets a child in a car

Link 

https://www.nhtsa.gov/child-safety/help-prevent-hot-car-deaths

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

What ever happened to duty of care???

It does not exist here, me, me, me, to hell with being responsible, thats not my problem.

Oh.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:
12 hours ago, colinneil said:

Every few months a dead child, due to van driver/ teacher being lazy and not caring.

More than “every few months”

One per week in USA. Not hot country. Terrible.

On April 25, we saw the first vehicular heatstroke death of 2020, when a 4-year-old left a home and climbed into a vehicle without his family noticing. His death follows 52 hot car deaths in 2019, and a record 53 deaths in 2018.

HEATSTROKE FACTS 

The majority of hot car deaths — 54% — happen because someone forgets a child in a car

Link 

https://www.nhtsa.gov/child-safety/help-prevent-hot-car-deaths

It does not exist here, me, me, me, to hell with being responsible, thats not my problem.

Oh.

Yinn.... You’ve done it again.... Defending the indefensible.... 

Because this happens in ‘other countries’ does not lessen the atrocity of these unnecessary child deaths in Thailand. 

Are you not horrified that this happens in Thailand? or is your only concern to show that it happens elsewhere to, so Thailand isn’t that bad after all?

You have not chosen to comment how terrible this is, your only response is that ‘it happens elsewhere’... Yet another juvenile face saving response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, The Theory said:
12 hours ago, webfact said:

jail term of 10 years and or 200,000 baht in fines. 

"And or B200,000 fine" ? ????????????

No money, so there will clearly be no fine. 

Jail ?... does anyone ever go to Jail in Thailand for such mindlessness?....  it seems that only acts of aggression are handled with serious penalties. Acts of negligence seem to pass unpunished which is why negligence is so common. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Thankfully, it has been quite a while since the last kid was unnoticed and suffocated in a school van. Unfortunately, this is probably due only to schools being closed during the covid scare.

The prevention is very simple: Schoolteachers should take a roll call at the start of the school day, (maybe after lunch break as well) if a child is missing without a note from the parents the teacher should make immediate enquiries.

30 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Thankfully, it has been quite a while since the last kid was unnoticed and suffocated in a school van. Unfortunately, this is probably due only to schools being closed during the covid scare.

The prevention is very simple: Schoolteachers should take a roll call at the start of the school day, (maybe after lunch break as well) if a child is missing without a note from the parents the teacher should make immediate enquiries.

There were a spate of them in 2018 and last year - this after it was widely reported that the the issue would face greater attention after high 'van-suffocation death toll' between 2013 and 2016 was reported. 

Ultimately, and tragically its not infrequent news along with others such as..... 

- Toddler dies in pond at home / school (unsupervised)

- Child is electrocuted in shower / at home (ungrounded electrics)

- Brakes fail Truck careenes into traffic killing xx

- Bus goes down ravine killing xx

- Pickup loses control in rain killing xx

- Roof / building Collapse killing xx 

- Drunk driver of Mercedes / BMW driver kills xx

- Speeding (name sports car here) looses control and kills xx / hits pedestrian 

We get at least 2 of these per week !!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237

12 hours ago, johng said:

What's the point  of not letting the kid camp out overnight with school friends at a supervised camp site ?  seems a bit odd to me  unless he changes into a pumpkin at midnight ????

You don’t get it-they don’t supervise ????

3 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

[Schoolteachers should take a roll call] - thats always the issue with these tragedies, it always involves someone who ‘should’ have done their job... in this case (and every other similar case)

It involves a parent who should not have left their child in the car. 

A driver who should have counted kids in and out, who should have checked the van after. A teacher who should have taken roll call. 

-----

A month or so ago my Wife wanted to go to the Supermarket, I was out of the country. My Wife told me she’d just go there and to keep our 6 year old son safe (away from Covid-19 risk) she’d leave him locked in the car and nip out to foodland supermarket to get what was needed (5-10mins). My Wife said she’d leave the car running with AC on. 

I pointed out, what would happen if my Wife slipped on ’spilt milk’ while in the supermarket and smacked her head and was taken to hospital unconscious.... far fetched I know...  but my point was ’why even take that risk’. 

sometimes with all thats going on around us there are distractions and logic disappears - but the risks still remain. Most of the time we are lucky. 

15 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

Which seat was it reported that he was sitting in?

On the tv news report it showed the child sat in the window seat opposite the side sliding door in full view of anybody closing the door

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There were a spate of them in 2018 and last year - this after it was widely reported that the the issue would face greater attention after high 'van-suffocation death toll' between 2013 and 2016 was reported. 

Ultimately, and tragically its not infrequent news along with others such as..... 

It didn’t take long at all... the general fvckwittery going on in Thailand is wholly predicable.... 

Less than 24 hrs later -  Speeding Merc !!!! 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178303-merc-driver-escapes-death-after-fast-and-furious-tussle-with-truck/

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

On 8/18/2020 at 3:18 PM, richard_smith237 said:
On 8/18/2020 at 12:27 AM, richard_smith237 said:

It didn’t take long at all... the general fvckwittery going on in Thailand is wholly predicable.... 

Less than 24 hrs later -  Speeding Merc !!!! 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178303-merc-driver-escapes-death-after-fast-and-furious-tussle-with-truck/

And here we are again....  Building collapse 

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178568-sixty-residents-flee-for-their-lives-as-block-of-flats-leans-over-backwards-in-bangkok/