Electronic Goods Through Customs

bkkexplorer

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so mods please move if neccesary.

I'd like to know if it's ok to bring in electronic items from singapore through bangkok customs. For example, a stereo set.

Is there a tax fee charged? If yes how much.

Thanks.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post so mods please move if neccesary.

I'd like to know if it's ok to bring in electronic items from singapore through bangkok customs. For example, a stereo set.

Thanks.

I think you're allowed 10,000bht worth for personal use.

I found this website - but the law as stated seems confusing:

http://www.thaiembdc.org/info/customs.html

What doe this statement imply?

"The following are subject to duty charges:

* goods which are brought into the country in a limited quantity as personal effects and are not for a commercial purpose.

* goods not exceeding 80,000 baht in value."

vs...

" the total value of all goods taken together not exceeding 10,000 baht, will be exempted from Customs duties"

Edited by sfokevin

i wonder the same, if i'm traveling to thailand and bringing my digital camera, digital camcorder, and my laptop in my carryon with me, will i be charged something?
Never heard of anyone paying tax on these items.

no.

There's a big difference in bringing in personal items, as opposed to new stuff, still packed in it's original packaging.

Nobody lugs his laptop or their camcorder around in the original cardboard boxes and bubblewrap :o

So basically, anything which just looks like ordinary practical used things are left alone.

I've never seen any body's laptop taken out of it's carrying bag with a customs officer trying to convince you thats it's a new device and you are trying to import it without paying taxes!

It's a bit of a different story for Thai nationals returning from their Hong Kong or Singaporean shopping trips. They get checked over pretty good by customs since they are not visiting tourists taking whatever they bring in back out again!

Normally the only way they are allowed to bring stuff in over the duty free allowed amount is by proving that they bought it in Thailand and are merely brining it back in...

Hi,

Thanks.

If you are talking flying in with it, sling the box, post the warranty books etc to yourself and come through with it in your suitcase, no problems guaranteed !

I have been flying to Thailand every six weeks for over five years and have only ever been asked about my golf clubs. They wanted to see if the were new or not. I always carry my laptop, PDA and digital camera not to mention I always bring misc. items (coffee,housewares, kids stuff) back from the UK.

Duty will be assesed according to value.

Save your receipts to show customs

a receipt may not do any good. I brought in a new fax machine from the USA which i paid $25 for and had a receipt to prove it. They wanted to charge me 2,000 baht in duty.

Duty will be assesed according to value.

Save your receipts to show customs

a receipt may not do any good. I brought in a new fax machine from the USA which i paid $25 for and had a receipt to prove it. They wanted to charge me 2,000 baht in duty.

Good comment, imported a pair of off road bike boots, cost $100 ,they looked up local price and assessed them at 10k ( baht ) and releived me of 4000 baht ! yesterday

thanks for the link sfokevin. Informative but it doesn't state how much in taxes is charged. Something i missed? No, more likely it's not on paper so welcoming officers can see how much they can cream off you... :o

I've brought in many used items, cameras, laptops, music cd's and the likes. No problems with that. This post was for something still wrapped up and new.

Wolfman, did you pay the 2,000? What was the outcome?

Mike, I can't believe they taxed you on a pair of boots. Surely it's only electronics.. Just re-read your post, i don't think you would have been taxed on that if you came through the airport.

There's a big difference in bringing in personal items, as opposed to new stuff, still packed in it's original packaging.

Nobody lugs his laptop or their camcorder around in the original cardboard boxes and bubblewrap :D

So basically, anything which just looks like ordinary practical used things are left alone.

I've never seen any body's laptop taken out of it's carrying bag with a customs officer trying to convince you thats it's a new device and you are trying to import it without paying taxes!

It's a bit of a different story for Thai nationals returning from their Hong Kong or Singaporean shopping trips. They get checked over pretty good by customs since they are not visiting tourists taking whatever they bring in back out again!

Normally the only way they are allowed to bring stuff in over the duty free allowed amount is by proving that they bought it in Thailand and are merely brining it back in...

no no, i'm talking about i'm bringing a brand new laptop over, of course i'm not going to bring it with the box and foam, but it's new, i'm afraid they might catch that it's new and charge me.

additionally, i'm bringing loads of clothes, brand new with tags, after reading this i think i might want to untag all? they're all gifts and souvenirs from here that i want to bring back for people i know there. or possibly mix and put my undies on top of the clothes so they don't check it? :o

edit - spelling

Edited by noungning

:o

. This post was for something still wrapped up and new.

Mike, I can't believe they taxed you on a pair of boots. Surely it's only electronics.. Just re-read your post, i don't think you would have been taxed on that if you came through the airport.

I was stopped once with a brand new stereo set still in the box at the custom and he demand to see the receipt i told him i lost the receipt as it was a old set (actually new) and i pass him my passport with a purple note in it . He ask me to wait and went into a room and less den 2 mins he came back returned my passport and ask me to go ...but tat was last year in don muang not sure about the new airport though.....cheers chongaew

Years ago, I had a conversation with a U.S. Customs officer regarding how they determine duty on items brought into the country in personal luggage.

He replied that it was almost impossible to determine if something is new or used. Example, a laptop computer opened a few times and used would look new to any observer.

Also, since most products are not manufactured in the country of purchase, how can customs prove you didn't take it in the country yourself from abroad. Perhaps on a flight from China to the U.S., clothing may prove problematic, but Malaysian made electronics entering Thailand from the U.S.??

Clearly, removal of all signs of recent purchase like tags or wrappings is important.

However, if one merely walks through the green door without acting suspicious, why whold you be stopped unless you look disreputable.

There was a recent thread on this subject by a personal friend regarding a number of exotic new electronic gadgets bought in the U.S. and about to be brought into Thailand. He was most worried, even though he had never been stopped before. New airport and all that.

Well, the result was that he was stopped in JFK for carrying 12 cans of an aerosol product he couldn't buy in Thailand, but here he sailed right through the green door with all his expensive and new gadgets.

Recently I bought a coffee machine (don't ask) and asked a friend in Switzerland to send it to me by UPS. When it arrived here in BKK, I had to go to the Central Post Office behind the Train Station.

To make a long story short, I was asked for a 30% tax on the price of the machine incl. freight (CIF). When I politely complained about the large amount of money, the officer said, I should have declared it as a TV set, where the import tax is only 10%.

So I withdrew all the papers and started the whole procedure again, declaring it as a TV-set. And to my big surprise, everything went through smoothly, although everybody knew what I was doing.

I just love this country!

Nobody lugs his laptop or their camcorder around in the original cardboard boxes and bubblewrap :D

no no, i'm talking about i'm bringing a brand new laptop over, of course i'm not going to bring it with the box and foam, but it's new, i'm afraid they might catch that it's new and charge me.

additionally, i'm bringing loads of clothes, brand new with tags, after reading this i think i might want to untag all? they're all gifts and souvenirs from here that i want to bring back for people i know there. or possibly mix and put my undies on top of the clothes so they don't check it? :o

edit - spelling

Dude - there's not a single business traveler without laptop. They won't look at your laptop. Just take off the packaging, and if you are extra paraniod mail yourself the warrany etc as someone above suggested. Install a picture of your signficant other/daughter as desktop background as extra safety measure.

In any case, you are a tourist and not importing said laptop, so you wouldn't have to pay any tax in any case.

From the stories with Thai customs it seems wise to never go up to them voluntarily. The whole thing with them being able to assess the value of goods is totally ridiculous - you are guaranteed to get screwed. Don't go asking for it... or you shall receive.

Recently I bought a coffee machine (don't ask) and asked a friend in Switzerland to send it to me by UPS. When it arrived here in BKK, I had to go to the Central Post Office behind the Train Station.

To make a long story short, I was asked for a 30% tax on the price of the machine incl. freight (CIF). When I politely complained about the large amount of money, the officer said, I should have declared it as a TV set, where the import tax is only 10%.

So I withdrew all the papers and started the whole procedure again, declaring it as a TV-set. And to my big surprise, everything went through smoothly, although everybody knew what I was doing.

I just love this country!

:D Excellent logic! TIT :D

I also bought a coffee machine in Europe, an automatic one.

My dad ended up bringing it in his hand luggage. He had to get it out at the X-Rays on each of the three stops on his way here, but sailed right through customs. With this large, square-ish bag weighing about 10kg.. :o

"Oh, no, Sir! This is a used coffee machine. Do you know how hard it is to get decent coffee in some parts?"

Anyway, next time I'll just declare it as TV, 10% is not bad at all.

there is approx a 37% import tax for imported electronics....but if it is a personal item, no tax.....

i import car audio gear....and customs wont know the difference between low-end and hi-end....the actual manufacturing cost for hi-end electronics is around 15% of retail prices.

I have two methods that have worked well in the past.

1. A friend, who is a Dive Shop owner, bought part of an oxygen blending panel in as carryon. When opened it looked like a typical "Hollywood" nuclear bomb. They could not process him quick enough and get him out of there. :D:D

2. Come in with several inviting boxes stacked up. You will be questioned but when they choose the top box, it is easier, and find nothing of interest you are free to go.

:o