Austrian man, 77, dies as motorbike collides head-on with van

webfact

50 minutes ago, PST said:

Not quite sure where the 'curve' or 'bend' is on that part of Patak Road opposite the gold shop, its a fairly straight bit of road, and the double yellow lines were only painted onto that stretch of road no more than 24 hours before this happened.

It was painted more than a week ago.

That curve is a strange one, it always requires an adjustment.

• Like 1

Just now, stevenl said:

It was painted more than a week ago.

That curve is a strange one, it always requires an adjustment.

Which curve?, if your coming from karon to kata, you pass the indoor market on the left, and there is a very gradual curve before you reach the gold shop which is where the van was hit, there is by no means any sharp turn whatsoever,

The yellow lines were painted on sunday 16th and Monday 17th. The accident happened on Tuesday 18th.

Seems strange the police are waiting for results of alcohol tests before proceeding with any legal action ! are they assuming things are not what they were told ? I mean bit hard taking legal action against a deceased person

1 hour ago, PST said:

Which curve?, if your coming from karon to kata, you pass the indoor market on the left, and there is a very gradual curve before you reach the gold shop which is where the van was hit, there is by no means any sharp turn whatsoever,

The yellow lines were painted on sunday 16th and Monday 17th. The accident happened on Tuesday 18th.

Yes, that curve is ok, I thought it was one of the 2 closer to karon, those curves after the traffic light.

Those yellow lines have been there a bit longer, the red on the hill is more recent I think. But when they were painted doesn't matter very much, they were present when the accident happened.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

A sad end, at least it was quick ............

But sudden death age 77 while having a hot young bargirl on the back of your bike isn't the worst way to go. 

What about the bargirl?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will need a special license to ride a large bike as from Next week.......

The details of the training and test will be announced by the director-general of the Department of Land Transport,” Traisulee said.

The Cabinet yesterday (August 18) approved ministerial regulations on the issuing and renewal of drivers’ licences as proposed by the Transport Ministry, agreeing that “big bike” riders will need a separate licence from those of smaller, less powerful motorcycles..

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

You will need a special license to ride a large bike as from Next week.......

The details of the training and test will be announced by the director-general of the Department of Land Transport,” Traisulee said.

The Cabinet yesterday (August 18) approved ministerial regulations on the issuing and renewal of drivers’ licences as proposed by the Transport Ministry, agreeing that “big bike” riders will need a separate licence from those of smaller, less powerful motorcycles..

Relevance ?

6 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

Really Don..?....

Whats the relevance in your post, asking about the relevance of my post............................:w00t:

The incoming requirement for a "big bike" licence has what exactly to do with the death of an elderly chap riding a small bike.... Other than ZERO.

Edited by Don Mega

5 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Its news Don, that should be covered by TV as a lot of people on here do ride big bikes & will have to Change/update their license.

I could have started a completely new  thread---but thought I would slip it in...... Not realizing "Don Mega" was on the job.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1178418-big-bike-riders-will-now-need-separate-licence/?tab=comments#comment-15727781

On 8/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, UncleMhee said:

Plenty of 70-80 year olds still riding 850-1000 cc bikes back in Oz.....

Shouldn't be riding and still riding are different things, even in Oz.

One is a judgment call and the other is a fact. 

The truth of one does not disprove or rationalize the other. 

I have decided that for myself riding a motorcy in Thailand is generally not wise regardless of age or skill. I will no longer ride on larger roads. 

But more to the original point, elderly or unskilled riders are likely to kill others as well as themselves.  Reflexes and mental acuity certainly do not improve with age. The roads here would be safer if the very young or very old did not control motorized vehicles. These are also facts. 

• Like 1