Is WP Required for Volunteering?

I was offered a one-year Volunteer Visa for a considerable fee, but with the stipulation that a work permit is not provided.

My understanding is that it is impossible(illegal) to do any volunteer work without a work permit.
Wouldn't this(lack of work permit) be a major red flag if ever questioned about this visa?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:
1 hour ago, FlyingThai said:

Solely out of interest, what's the "considerable fee" for the one year visa?

Is this kind of thing multiple entry?

A lot of places in Pattaya advertising this the past few months....50-55K. 

That kind of fee suggests/implies that they do a lot more then helping you to get a legal visa.

If an agent just confirms/advices about documents and goes with the client to the immigration that should be max 10% of that.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That kind of fee suggests/implies that they do a lot more then helping you to get a legal visa.

If an agent just confirms/advices about documents and goes with the client to the immigration that should be max 10% of that.

This is nothing new - I looked into it before I was married to a Thai and over 50.  As with all things immigration, they want their pocket-money to "allow" you to get something from them, which is not on the "Main-Menu"*.

Even if you work full-time volunteer for a charitable-org, the org often still requests you pay the "legal fees" - mostly bribes to corrupt-to-the-core immigration - to get the extension (they will call it a visa).

*(Retirement, Thai-Family, Business.  And even when on the "main-menu", must still qualify to the local-IO's personal preferences, or they won't do their job without a payoff.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

DO you have a link to any sources on this?

No 

I have nothing published that has all of the new rules that came into effect under 2 royal decrees in 2017 and 2018.

There was a big disagreement going on in Chiang Mai between the labor ministry and immigration about it. The labor ministry said they were not required and immigration insisted they  were needed to apply for a extension.

6 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Also, in this time, it would come in handy to use when coming from abroad to Thailand. (Either WP or Family in Thailand, let you in easy.)

There is no provision for volunteers to get a certificate of entry at the this time. You have be working for a company with a work permit to get one.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This is nothing new - I looked into it before I was married to a Thai and over 50.  As with all things immigration, they want their pocket-money to "allow" you to get something from them, which is not on the "Main-Menu"*.

It's nothing new that there are agents who "help" if i.e. someone wants a retirement visa without the money in the bank.

But there are also agents who just make sure you have all the correct documents, etc. We use one of those agents regularly with the company. He arrives at the immigration maybe at 6am, we arrive at 8:30, walk with him, don't wait, and we know all our documents are in the way the immigration wants them - without any manipulation. This is the kind of agent which I like because they know the everyday business.

Anybody who relies on an expensive "agent" to get a visa which he/she is not supposed to have will have the risk of something going wrong over time. Are you prepared to take that risk? Up to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

*(Retirement, Thai-Family, Business.  And even when on the "main-menu", must still qualify to the local-IO's personal preferences, or they won't do their job without a payoff.)

Never had to pay anything more than the normal fees for a non B or when I got one based on marriage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

Never had to pay anything more than the normal fees for a non B or when I got one based on marriage.

As I have pointed-out before, that's like saying, "Most drunk-drivers drive home from the bar safely" - which, while true, leaves out the countless tragedies. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Anybody who relies on an expensive "agent" to get a visa which he/she is not supposed to have will have the risk of something going wrong over time. Are you prepared to take that risk? Up to you.

Yes, I don't want to take part in something that would be felony-fraud in my country, either - why I haven't used an immigration-agent.  That said, it is not in question that immigration has set up this system. 

Look at that one bust a couple weeks ago of agent "Grace" - complete with a rubber-stamp collection.  "Grace" and company evidently had enough "connections" (likely, info/exposure on high-ranking people) to make the whole thing go away - seems to be the predominant factor, here.

I've had several legit applications denied - is clear what they were after - why I used the MFA's Visas, instead, and why I may be leaving in Sept.  If my employer is willing to wallow in the felony-corruption mud with a lawyer to get things 'handled' (switch from a Non-O/amnestied permitted-stay a Non-B in-country, so BOI will do their job) - fine, but I'm not taking any part in it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No 

I have nothing published that has all of the new rules that came into effect under 2 royal decrees in 2017 and 2018.

There was a big disagreement going on in Chiang Mai between the labor ministry and immigration about it. The labor ministry said they were not required and immigration insisted they  were needed to apply for a extension.

There was something like that in Bangkok too, just after the Labor ministry in Din Daeng moved to sub districts, the one I needed to go said wait a moment as she was sure that it was not needed. After a talk with their manager or it was needed or they just gave it a go.

The immigration in CW need it.

Went there yesterday, information what I need to do. I have to leave next month for a new visa. I am already one year in Thailand, arrived august last year.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no provision for volunteers to get a certificate of entry at the this time. You have be working for a company with a work permit to get one.

Serious? This is worrisome for some of us like me.

So a volunteer, without salary, but with Workpermit cant get  a COA and is not able to come back to Thailand after getting a new visa?

Only NON-B ? Or do you mean, volunteers without the WP?

1 minute ago, Metropolitian said:

UJ, was there a rumor about getting the visa inside Thai instead of the need for crossing the border?

It's not a rumor. You can get it, but only through an agent with "connections"....and for a considerable fee.  I was quoted 60K by one in Bangkok.  They quoted a lower fee if I already had a volunteer visa/work-permit and was looking to extend that.

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

A lot of places in Pattaya advertising this the past few months....50-55K. 

What??? YES one needs a WP unless one know sources in local government but another issue those who have WP's many do not deserve them and many more reliable and conscientious teachers, because of age are not allowed to teach.
They also have so much more energy and often help with other English classes and a lot of students used to come up and please explain what my Thai or Philippine teacher just taught us!!!
In a nut shell many so-called elderly teachers are being totally ignored and not in all cases but many certainly deserve their salary, unlike some who do as little as possible. Just saying and the truth and no one likes this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

UJ, was there a rumor about getting the visa inside Thai instead of the need for crossing the border?

Various non immigrant visas categories can be applied for at immigration if a person is on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think that's pretty obvious isn't it!? I mean you're acquiring a "visa" which usually comes with some strings attached such as actually participating in a volunteer program with a load of paperwork. The agent makes this go away or procures the papers one way or the other and officials get paid off to look the other way.

I have an Elite Visa now but this would be a decent choice for my gf who has a Japanese passport. If anyone has pointers for a reliable agent in BKK I wouldn't mind paying 50k for that service. My only worry is that once travel is possible again it would be impossible to go in/out of Thailand on this sham volunteer permit. Unless the agent can get a re-entry permit at the same time.

9 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

I think that's pretty obvious isn't it!? I mean you're acquiring a "visa" which usually comes with some strings attached such as actually participating in a volunteer program with a load of paperwork. The agent makes this go away or procures the papers one way or the other and officials get paid off to look the other way.

I have an Elite Visa now but this would be a decent choice for my gf who has a Japanese passport. If anyone has pointers for a reliable agent in BKK I wouldn't mind paying 50k for that service. My only worry is that once travel is possible again it would be impossible to go in/out of Thailand on this sham volunteer permit. Unless the agent can get a re-entry permit at the same time.

The agents I have corresponded with also offer the volunteer visa WITH re-entry permit...for an additional fee. 

Edited by audaciousnomad

5 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

a real official needs one

what visa agents offer, might be a real stamp from a crooked IO

From what I have researched, nearly all of them are real stamps. And yes, if you go through agents there is some variation as to the "straightness" of who approves your application. Some straighter than others, but none perfectly straight....else you wouldn't need the agent. ????

I wonder what all the religious organizations do for their volunteers that come to Thailand to do the "Lord's work"?  They would need Work Permits as well.  It was required in the past but if there was a change as Ubon Joe states then maybe it is a bit easier.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I wonder what all the religious organizations do for their volunteers that come to Thailand to do the "Lord's work"?  They would need Work Permits as well.  It was required in the past but if there was a change as Ubon Joe states then maybe it is a bit easier.

That is a different category for getting a permit to stay than volunteer work and probably still requires a work permit.

The real issue here is are the actual stamps in your PP genuine ?

If not then could be in all sorts of trouble as you will not be in the darabase.

Wirh a volunteer visa I thought the moment you left the country it was finished & a reentry stamp not possible ?

19 hours ago, natway09 said:

The real issue here is are the actual stamps in your PP genuine ?

If not then could be in all sorts of trouble as you will not be in the darabase.

Wirh a volunteer visa I thought the moment you left the country it was finished & a reentry stamp not possible ?

Re-Entry permits are possible with any permitted-stay - even a visa-exempt entry.  The problem some have with returning, is if entering at entry-points which do not follow Thai immigration law, and deny for false reasons. 

Sadly, both capital city airports are run as if located in some anarchist/strongman run hellhole country - so need to use CM Airport or a land-border (except the corrupt Poipet/Aranyaprathet one).

• Like 1

There was an article in the Pattaya Mail, yesterday I think, talking about work permits. They stated that if you have a non-immigrant O for volunteer work, you don't need a work permit if you are working for a registered Foundation. We run a foundation and have had a couple of people get the visa through us. The Chonburi Labor Office said they did not need a work permit.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 12:19 PM, ubonjoe said:

Various non immigrant visas categories can be applied for at immigration if a person is on a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

These are tourists, they can return home if there are flights for them.

I am talking about non-imms here, on either visa non-O volunteer or non-b or ED.

With their visa expired/expiring during amnesty. They had to obtain a new visa, outside of Thailand.

Most of them/us don't have a 'home' anymore in our countries, our things and place is here in Thailand.

Was there plan to open a 'counter' for them to get a visa, and not extension, but a brand new visa which normally has to be obtained outside of Thailand?

10 minutes ago, Metropolitian said:

Was there plan to open a 'counter' for them to get a visa, and not extension, but a brand new visa which normally has to be obtained outside of Thailand?

There has been no plan or one now to issue visas for those that entered the country with a non immigrant visa.