Sonthi warns crisis likely in May

ssparks111

RTP acting chief confirms tighten security measures if rallies occur

The acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, says a plan has been developed to deal with all types of rally following the Constitutional Court's ruling on the political parties' dissolution case on May 30th, 2007.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth comments on the security measures at the end of this month, saying the Royal Thai Police has been monitoring the political movements in the country, and he is confident that the security units will be able to control the situation. He says rigorous measures will be implemented no matter how the court will rule the case.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth believes the demonstrations will not intensify because public members are allowed to express their ideas. However, the police will reinforce the laws to maintain peace and order.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 May 2007

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth comments on the security measures at the end of this month, saying the Royal Thai Police has been monitoring the political movements in the country, and he is confident that the security units will be able to control the situation. He says rigorous measures will be implemented no matter how the court will rule the case.

Yet another reminder that the current regime are everybit as bad as the last.Nice.

CDC Chairman not concerned over chaos at the end of this month

Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC), Sqn.Ldr.Prasong Soonsiri (ประสงค์ สุ่นศิริ), says he is not concerned over possible chaos many people think might take place at the end of this month and expresses confidence that the authority will be able to control the situation.

CDC Chairman reveals that CDC will consider opinions concerning the new charter draft submitted by people across the country to amend the draft. The problematic articles include Article 68 (2) which concerns the authorization of key constitutional organizations to resolve the country’s crisis.

Sqn.Ldr.Prasong says it requires at least 10 CDC members to request CDC’s general meeting to amend the charter draft and now there are 6 – 7 articles waiting to be amended. He also says he disagrees with the Council for National Security (CNS) which suggests that the prime minister should not take up the post for more than two consecutive terms or 8 stright years.

As for the public hearing for the charter draft, the chairman says if the authority provides clear, accurate, and sufficient information on the new constitution, the draft would be approved by the public.

Election may not take place if political disturbance breaks out next month: 1st army area chief

The first army area commander warned Tuesday that the next election might not be held as scheduled if political disturbance breaks out early next month.

Lt Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, commander of the First Army Area, was speaking to a group of local administration officials in Samut Sakhon.

He said he would like to call on local administration officials to ensure that the grassroots people would not cause political disturbance.

"If you all do not contribute to keeping peace and order early next month, we may not see an election again. Because we don't know what will happen next," Paryuth said.

Source: The Nation - 22 May 2007

Election may not take place if political disturbance breaks out next month: 1st army area chief

The first army area commander warned Tuesday that the next election might not be held as scheduled if political disturbance breaks out early next month.

Lt Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, commander of the First Army Area, was speaking to a group of local administration officials in Samut Sakhon.

He said he would like to call on local administration officials to ensure that the grassroots people would not cause political disturbance.

"If you all do not contribute to keeping peace and order early next month, we may not see an election again. Because we don't know what will happen next," Paryuth said.

An interesting comment. Certainly it is suggestive but I think it will fall on deaf ears. However I will give him credit for the shot. One must certainly weigh moving backwards of forwards.

I am sure all the TRT speeches have been written already saying it was unjust unfair and that we will fight it, even if all their parameters have been met. If that is the case rooms at the Bangkok Hilton may be in order.

"grassroots people"? And we are supposed to believe that the military has not already determined that TRT is going to get nailed?

In a democracy, such a statement by a high ranking member of the government would be regarded as so prejudicial as to very possibly have the case thrown out. In a dictatorship... a guilty verdict will simply be regarded as following the intstructions of the bosses.

Ah ah ah ! We were waiting for such statement... It's starting.

Last week the poor Surayud said that elections could be held before december. Very quickly, he backed off...

Anyway. So now we know : "unrest = no elections".

We might have a few more bombs in Bangkok, in order to "strike" the minds of the people. Plus, the South. Plus, the dissolution of TRT. Add a so called new constitution that is nowhere to be finished. And a referendum still in the clouds, linked to... a non finalized constitution.

I believe that all the actors are ready on the stage.

An interesting comment. Certainly it is suggestive but I think it will fall on deaf ears. However I will give him credit for the shot. One must certainly weigh moving backwards of forwards.

I am sure all the TRT speeches have been written already saying it was unjust unfair and that we will fight it, even if all their parameters have been met. If that is the case rooms at the Bangkok Hilton may be in order.

Suggestive? :o They will probably "pay" people to protest,so that they have a little longer in power..... :D:D

Suggestive? :o They will probably "pay" people to protest,so that they have a little longer in power..... :D:D

Nah - only the TRT would do that according to the hypnotist

Ah ah ah ! We were waiting for such statement... It's starting.

Last week the poor Surayud said that elections could be held before december. Very quickly, he backed off...

Anyway. So now we know : "unrest = no elections".

We might have a few more bombs in Bangkok, in order to "strike" the minds of the people. Plus, the South. Plus, the dissolution of TRT. Add a so called new constitution that is nowhere to be finished. And a referendum still in the clouds, linked to... a non finalized constitution.

I believe that all the actors are ready on the stage.

Too many pluses in your remarks, have you got a certain TV member on the brain?

If TRT are dissolved, and even if the executives are banned, why should the members worry?

They can form a new party with the same populist policies and catchy phrases and win again.

They could call themselves PTV.

The truth is the MPs of TRT fear Thaksin being banned because it means the end of the gravy train, and the proposed reduction in MPs in the next Parliament provokes resistance from all parties because it means a loss of jobs.

Naturally they can't say this publicly but it's a major factor in politicians' opposition to the new constitution.

RTP well prepared for situation after ruling of court on May 30th

The acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, indicates that police officers are well prepared for possible unrest after the Constitutional Court has ruled the political parties' dissolution case on May 30th, 2007.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says police forces will be dispatched to deal with the situation after the court has given a verdict on this case. He suggests members of the public not to be too concerned over the circumstances. He says police forces will take legal action if over 90 elephants will gather in front of the Constitutional Court on May 30th as rumoured. Pol. Gen.Seripisuth will also assign the Metro Police Chief to send a letter to the Constitutional Court chief judge, requesting the court to broadcast the ruling. Thus, people do not have to travel to the court to observe the situation.

As for the PTV rally which is scheduled on May 1st at the Royal Plaza, the acting national police chief says he has collectedd the information which PTV has previously defamed other people. He says public members could file complaints to the police.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 May 2007

Too many pluses in your remarks, have you got a certain TV member on the brain?

Not at all. :o

If TRT are dissolved, and even if the executives are banned, why should the members worry?

They can form a new party with the same populist policies and catchy phrases and win again.

They could call themselves PTV.

Actually, I was speaking about this idea, that I believe can gain momentum in the near future : "we have unrest [rallyes, violences, undercurrents, bombings, whatever] therefore we have to postpone the elections".

This is the first time a high ranking military make such as statement.

"Unrest" could be used by the junta to delay the elections. It would be convenient for them.

Let's be realistic... On one hand, what can we expect from general elections let's say in next december ? It's funny nobody dare to think about it (about the outcome).

And on the other hand, do you think that the level of "unrest" is likely to decrease or to increase in the coming months ?

Therefore, I believe, that the whole "elections in december" talk is a red herring. And that we will have delays. Not cancellation. But delays.

Edited by cclub75

At this point it time I would not want to try to make a prediction on what will happen next. There are too many players waiting for the hammer to drop next week, too much misinformation going around. The only thing certain is all the players are out for themselves.

A long 5 day weekend in Pattaya may be a good plan for next week.

At this point it time I would not want to try to make a prediction on what will happen next. There are too many players waiting for the hammer to drop next week, too much misinformation going around. The only thing certain is all the players are out for themselves.

I made my prediction way back at the start of this thread, and so far i have seen no reason to change my mind. Everything that has happened and is happening was/is totally predictable.

Better order your flack jackets gentlemen :o

I made my prediction way back at the start of this thread, and so far i have seen no reason to change my mind. Everything that has happened and is happening was/is totally predictable.

Let me clarify between now and June 5th will be a bit rough to predict. What post number did you make your prediction?

... between now and June 5th will be a bit rough to predict...

As far as predictions go- with this one, you have outdone yourself John.

Edited by blaze

[

Let me clarify between now and June 5th will be a bit rough to predict. What post number did you make your prediction?

Post No. six.

You will see that I effectively said that it will happen by the end of May, and I originally made that prediction in March. Not bad, when you consider things hadn't even started to hot up much at that time. I had many detractors in this thread, including a certain John K, but I see many of you are now joining the coup band wagon. :D

Don't forget I got the prediction on the first coup right as well..... :o

Cheery fellow, aint I? :D

You will see that I effectively said that it will happen by the end of May, and I originally made that prediction in March.

I share your views. However, I think it's an abuse of language to speak of a "new coup".

I prefer to say... "permanent coup d'etat". :o

Unless... you think that another side could take over (Thaksin ?) ?

well, what do you see as the most likely results of the courts ruling? what do you feel the ruling will be?

1- The usual TRT method of hired goons and protesters. Trouble is and always has been their game. Bombs? That would immediately link them to previous bomb threats, but, they might be stupid and desperate enough to resort to that.

2- TRT guilty. Dems not guilty. Remember that accusations against the dems only came out after TRT was caught red handed and when cornered decided that should they go down, so should the dems, hence TRT's flimsy accusations against them.

NLA affirms not to use personal issues to attack Govt.

Chairman of the extraordinary committee studying insurgency in the three Southern border provinces, affirms that the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) will not use personal issues of the ministers to attack the government during its announcement of performance relating to the Southern violence to the NLA meeting tomorrow (May, 25th).

The committee’s chairman Gen.Panthep Puwanartnurak (ปานเทพ ภูวนาถนุรักษ์) says NLA will inquire about the government’s work and give suggestions on the Southern conflict. He confirms that the meeting was not initiated to criticize the government’s security work.

Gen.Panthep adds that the meeting will lead to a more understanding from the government to see what is needed for better improvement in order to tackle the Southern insurgency more efficiently.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 24 May 2007

Government Spokesman says PM Surayud’s administration has shown many concrete achievements

Government Spokesman Yongyuth Mayalarp (ยงยุทธ มัยลาภ) says that the government has shown many concrete achievements which can help uplift is improve its image.

The spokesman reports that the government’s announcement of its performance to the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) will kick off at 10.00 a.m. today (May, 24th). It will focus on achievements of projects on issues which were declared as national agendas and future implementation of the projects. Mr Yongyuth says the concrete achievements include the acceleration of the 2007 fiscal budget disbursement and solutions to the Southern violence in line with reconciliation means.

Asked whether the government will find a person to replace the ex-PM’s Office Minister Prasit Kowilaikul (ประสิทธิ์ โฆวิไลกูล), the spokesman says it depends on the prime minister and affirms a Cabinet reshuffle will not take place in the near future.

Govt vows to bring back the national reconciliation quickly

The government vows to bring back national reconciliation and pledges to wipe off corruption that has swept the country.

At the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont says he will retrieve the national reconciliation quickly, including allowing people to take part in drafting the Constitution. He, however, admits the southern violence has affected his administration and economy of the country. As a result, the government has adjusted policies to support the country development and solve the slowdown of the economy.

Gen. Surayud remarks that several urgent issues that must be resolved quickly are water problems, drought and flood situations, the economic slump, and the southern unrest.

well, what do you see as the most likely results of the courts ruling? what do you feel the ruling will be?

1- The usual TRT method of hired goons and protesters. Trouble is and always has been their game. Bombs? That would immediately link them to previous bomb threats, but, they might be stupid and desperate enough to resort to that.

2- TRT guilty. Dems not guilty. Remember that accusations against the dems only came out after TRT was caught red handed and when cornered decided that should they go down, so should the dems, hence TRT's flimsy accusations against them.

I agree with you Tony except on the democrats. I have not been following them and yes I agree it was the TRT or Thaksin lashing out. I do recall him saying if he went down he would take others with him. I remember just how quickly the charges came out as compared to the charges on the TRT.

If the democrats are guilty they are in complete contrast to the TRT. Democrats are at least acting civilized and the TRT like a bunch of spoiled brats. Is it me or do the TRT rallies greatly resemble a temper tantrum?

I think the Court ruling day will pass realitively peacefully. No coups, no revolutions.

TRT is yesterday's year's news, no one gives a ###### about them, their active grassroot support is overestimated and the generals will nip it in the bud.

At most there will be another PTV rally and people will forget about in three days.

I predicted the fist coup last year, long before it was seriously fashionable to do so, and amazingly I was the first to break the news on Thai Visa, when an incredulous friend, who had been doubting my mental faculties, called me in a very agitated state to tell me that he had heard from his Thai fiancée, (whose family was close to Thaksin), that the coup was actually in progress.

About a month back, I predicted a second coup would happen in the next couple of months or so, and I now believe this more than ever.

I think Gen Sonthi and his henchman will seek to consolidate their grip on power with another coup, and this time there will be no pretence to hand back to civlians any time soon.

It will get worse before it gets better - mark my words.

A very astute friend who lives in Bangkok made this comment after the September coup = "It will all end in tears !" :o

Edited by Hermano Lobo