Sonthi warns crisis likely in May

ssparks111

This is in stark contrast where the present coup had, and still has, a large support base in the middle class.

A dwindling, though still relatively strong support base in the middle class (i know lots of middle class people who have initially supported the coup vehemently, but are now seeing through the intentions - which were a very convenient power grab, and they are very hurt by the worsening economy, and do not support it anymore), and almost no support base in the lower classes (but yes, i know they don't count).

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The present situation bears no resemblance to 1992 and Black May.

Anyhow, i forgot to welcome you back, at least now there is intelligent life again under my opponents in this endless debate. A bit of a change from the usual uninspiring and repetitive drivel.

:o

This is in stark contrast where the present coup had, and still has, a large support base in the middle class.

A dwindling, though still relatively strong support base in the middle class (i know lots of middle class people who have initially supported the coup vehemently, but are now seeing through the intentions - which were a very convenient power grab, and they are very hurt by the worsening economy, and do not support it anymore), and almost no support base in the lower classes (but yes, i know they don't count).

Colonel, you shouldn't use such words as ' lower classes' it makes you sound very 'classist' to quote your term, I'd prefer 'the grass roots', the 'peasantry', ' upcountry folk', or for urban areas 'the working class'.

I'd disagree with you regarding people seeing the coup as a 'convenient power grab', the leaders have to rewrite the constitution, get it passed or adopt an old one and all the time Thaksin's trying to wrest control back- hardly a piece of cake.

I'd agree it's true most working class Thais didn't support the coup but it surprised me how many of them now consider Thaksin no longer suitable to be PM- too power crazy seems to be the consensus in Ban Pai, Khon Kaen.

Colonel, you shouldn't use such words as ' lower classes' it makes you sound very 'classist' to quote your term, I'd prefer 'the grass roots', the 'peasantry', ' upcountry folk', or for urban areas 'the working class'.

I'd disagree with you regarding people seeing the coup as a 'convenient power grab', the leaders have to rewrite the constitution, get it passed or adopt an old one and all the time Thaksin's trying to wrest control back- hardly a piece of cake.

I'd agree it's true most working class Thais didn't support the coup but it surprised me how many of them now consider Thaksin no longer suitable to be PM- too power crazy seems to be the consensus in Ban Pai, Khon Kaen.

I know that you disagree on the intentions of the coup makers, but let some time pass... :o

I have doubts though that Thaksin is trying to get back to power presently. It's all speculation, but i believe that he is more trying to defend himself than being in the attack. I really think that there is a collective paranoia in some sectors of Thailand (and unfounded hopes in others) regarding Thaksin.

According to one of your previous posts i can slightly remember that the people of Ban Pai/Khonkaen have never been in favor of Thaksin, so no wonder that their consensus is what you say. I have to say though that i have not seen this consensus in the villages i am familiar with.

Or perhaps he should refer to them as 'der volk'. To deny the existance of a class hierarchy in Thailand is to deny the reality of class in Thai society. It is sad but true that not only in Thailand, class hierarchies do remain and at the bottom of a hierarchy it a lower class. Recognizing the existance of social class doesn't make a person a classist- but seeking to maintain a discriminatory class structure - by refusing to acknowledge it- certainly does.

Edited by blaze

The present situation bears no resemblance to 1992 and Black May. When General Sujinda and General 'Big Jord' (later a close business associate of Thaksin) overthrew Chartchai there was general apathy, nobody went out with their kids to take photos with the tanks, there hadn't been months of demonstrations against Chartchai and his 'buffet cabinet', the middle class had been too busy making money in the boom and the working class, apart from Korat, were indifferent.

In 1992 when Sujinda started to show signs of reneging on his promise not to stay on in power the middle class were galvanised into action at Sanam Luang, outraged by what was seen as the'old power',ie the army's attempt to hold onto power.

If the same held true today the middle class would be flocking to the PTV rallies, demanding democracy be restored but they know the PTV is but a sham, desperate attempts by the present 'old power' to restore Thaksin before the court cases overwhelm him.

I wasn't referring to the entire situation, if you'll check my quote of the article. But rather the idea that the general will see if there is popular support for his "running for elections".

It just reminded me of 1992 (I was living in Thailand at the time) when Suchinda started out saying, "I will step down at the next elections, I am not interested in politics" and then later said "Well, if they want me, maybe I'll run" to, "I will run" and finally to "I am Prime Minister".

Just hope we don't see the same pattern of behavior with the General, although it does appear to be starting out the same way.

I know that you disagree on the intentions of the coup makers, but let some time pass... :o

I have doubts though that Thaksin is trying to get back to power presently. It's all speculation, but i believe that he is more trying to defend himself than being in the attack. I really think that there is a collective paranoia in some sectors of Thailand (and unfounded hopes in others) regarding Thaksin.

According to one of your previous posts i can slightly remember that the people of Ban Pai/Khonkaen have never been in favor of Thaksin, so no wonder that their consensus is what you say. I have to say though that i have not seen this consensus in the villages i am familiar with.

Coups here, come and go but the purpose behind this one was I feel fundamentally different.

I don't think that this time it's anything to do about Napoleon or Snowball, rather who's going to end up owning the farm, long term.

Democrat Party urges government to closely monitor political demonstrations

The Democrat Party is urging government officials to closely monitor political movements until conditions in the nation return to normal.

The Democrat Party Spokesperson Mr. Ongarch Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) conducted a press conference in which he revealed that many forms of political movements are occurring, causing great concern and confusion in Thai society. Mr. Ongarch said that the movements focused on the welfare and benefit for individuals and groups of people rather than for the nation. He called on these groups to consider the damage they are causing, and end their actions.

The Democrat Party Spokesperson believes that high ranking officials should closely monitor the situation. Mr. Ongarch added that officials should obtain accurate information before taking action.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 May 2007

PMs Office Minister Thirapat asks NLA to listen to announcement of govt. on May 24th

The Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office, Mr. Thirapat Serirangsan, asks some of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) members who are not satisfied with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont’s performance to listen to the government’s announcement on its accomplishments in the past six months on May 24th, 2007.

Mr. Thirapat insists that the government has not tried to avoid responding to the NLA. The Minister also believes that all ministries will be able to clarify their works to the NLA.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 May 2007

You want drama? Just wait for the court's decision on May 30th... :o

Pojaman may lead party

Khunying Pojaman Shinawatra is the front-runner to lead a new political party formed from the remnants of the Thai Rak Thai, should it be dissolved, a source said yesterday.

Many Thai Rak Thai politicians from the North and Northeast agreed the wife of ousted prime minister Thaksin was the best choice to head a new group, the party source said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/05/15...cs_30034234.php

Let's see... What about... "Thai Rak Thai 2" ? Sounds good ? Or "Thai Rak Thai Mak" ?

:D

Calm before the storm?

Perhaps but I think the TRT has lost much of it’s momentum in the last 3 weeks. If they try to have some sort of rally for a bunch of rich corrupt banned politicians, I think the public may decide to stay home. There are just too many negatives coming out in a short period of time for people to fee warm and cozy with them.

Let's see... What about... "Thai Rak Thai 2" ? Sounds good ? Or "Thai Rak Thai Mak" ?

:o

:D Thai Rak Thai Maak.

I've been out of touch for a couple weeks - but it seems like the situation is a bit cakmer than it was a month or so ago - just reading the tone of the posts... thats good :D

Gen. Chavalit hints his return to the political scene

Political veteran and former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh yesterday traveled to the province of Nakhon Phanom to make merits on the occasion of his 75th birthday. About 100 people, including civil servants, vendors and public members, joined Gen. Chavalit’s birthday celebration in front of the provincial city hall.

Gen. Chavalit stated that while he was praying, he asked for the holy spirits to bring peace and order back to the society. He said there are many conflicts in the society today and everyone has to help the government in tackling social issues because without public cooperation, the problems would not be solved. Thus, he would like all sides to join hands to solve the problems because conflicts can cause losses and pains as can be seen in the past.

Gen. Chavalit said if he decides to return to politics, he rather forms a new party instead of becoming a member of another party.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 15 May 2007

Phirab Khao asks PM to sack Army Chief

The Phirab Khao (พิราบขาว) Group submits a letter to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, asking him to dismiss the commander in chief of the Royal Thai Army, Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin.

Leader of the Phirab Khao Group Nopparut Worachitwitthikul (นพรุจ วรชิตวุฒิกุล) says the group wants the Army chief to be removed from his post within seven days due to an allegation of illegal marriage. In addition, it requests the premier to investigate Auditor-General Khunying jaruwan Menthaka (จารุวรรณ เมณฑกา) who the group alleges of working without transparency.

The Phirab Khao Group also asks for progresses of the investigation into bombings on New Year’s Eve in Bangkok and the government’s solutions to insurgency in the three Southern-most provinces. Moreover, the group proposes the premier to reconsider the transfer of Pol.Gen.Kowit Wattana, the former Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, to an inactive post at the Office of the Prime Minister and the appointment of Pol.Gen.Seriphisuth Temeyawes (เสรีพิศุทธ์ เตมียาเวส) to replace Pol.Gen.Kowit.

The group demands that if the government does nothing to fulfill their proposals within seven days, it will take legal actions against the prime minister on grounds of negligence of duty.

CNS to sue mobs

The Council for National Security (CNS) decides to sue mobs which have insulted CNS, while affirming to fully support the interim government and Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont until the general election at the end of this year.

CNS Spokesman Col.Sansern Kaewkamnerd (สรรเสริญ แก้วกำเนิด) reports that according to CNS’s special operational center and office of the secretary-general, some mobs and groups of people against CNS have tried to discredit CNS and the army by spreading groundless rumors and inaccurate information. The spokesman says these people have created negative attitudes and misunderstanding toward CNS and the army.

CNS’s meeting tomorrow (May, 14th) instructed its special operational center and office of the secretary-general to cooperate with relevant units to inspect the rumors and inaccurate information in order to take legal actions against those responsible for such rumors.

Col.Sansern adds that CNS has enough information to file a libel lawsuit against the PTV mob; however, he cannot reveal details of the information. The spokesman says he has learned that the PTV mob will sue CNS back, adding that CNS is ready to fight with it in court and will stick to legal procedures.

Wouldn't it be superb, especially for lawyers, if all arguments and ideolistic problems could be resolved through legal action rather than then gun ? Perhaps one day it will come to pass that "The pen is mighter than the sword" ?

Meanwhile perhaps Pres GW Bush could take a leaf out of Thailand's CNS book and sue Bin Laden and others in his "axis of evil" league rather than risking further loss of life.

In fact perhaps a whole new TV network could be started titled - War games in the Court room, now let's see who could be the main sponsors of that? Plus of course almost certainly it will become the longest running soap.

Ugh... all this suing is sounds like I am back in the states.

By the way does Noppadon get to file the papers in court for everyone? I still think he has his private window at the court clerks office. :o

All these politically motivated court challenges are getting to be a bit of a joke.

The junta has already given a big boost to the military budget. Looks like they will now have to inject some big baht into the legal system :o I wonder who gets to pay for all this?

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth insists political rallies must be in line with the law

The acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, insists political rallies must be in line with the law.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says political movements can be done as long as they are abided by the law while insisting that the Metropolitan Police needs to impose strict regulations. He says the movements that cause difficulties to commuters and slow down the traffic congestion are prohibited. He will consider whether he will call a meeting with political leaders to discuss this issue.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth admits that the police forces have to watch over different rallies in different locations, allowing the ill-intentioned people more opportunities to create mishaps. He says he will propose for another deputy commisioner-general to help prevent crimes to the Police Commission on May 23rd.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth indicates that police officials will provide training courses to public members to help prevent crimes.

First Army Area Commander is confident w/ security measures against mobs

The First Army Area Commander, Lt. Gen. Prayuth Chan-ocha, says measures to deal with demonstrations have been set up. However, he has warned members of the public not to become a tool of the opportunists.

Lt. Gen. Prayuth says the measures will help prevent clashes between mobs and they will also promote peace in the country. In addition, the army will investigate and follow up on the situations with the three main groups, which are political group, interest group and the general public. The army has coordinated with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) and the Metro Police Bureau to integrate the security plan.

The First Army Area Commander adds that the Metro Police is currently gathering the information and evidence to file the case against the PTV group. He affirms he is not worried if 14 million voters for the Thai Rak Thai Party may decide to stage a demonstration if the court has decided to dissolve the party. He says all public members should consider the country's best interest while certain people must not appreciate money more than the country.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth insists political rallies must be in line with the law

The acting Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, Pol. Gen. Seripisuth Temiyavej, insists political rallies must be in line with the law.

Pol. Gen. Seripisuth says political movements can be done as long as they are abided by the law while insisting that the Metropolitan Police needs to impose strict regulations. He says the movements that cause difficulties to commuters and slow down the traffic congestion are prohibited.

Arrr.. the taste of freedom! So different from the bad old days under Thaksin when freedom of assembly was denied to his political critics. :D Good to see democracy back on track. :o

73.3% of Bangkokian wants Gen Surayud to continue his role until the new general election will take place

Recent polls indicate that the majority of Bangkokians, 73.3%, want Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont to continue his role until the new general election takes place.

Dhurakij Pundit Research Center of Dhurakij Pundit University has conducted a survey from 1,645 Bangkokians on May 13th-14th, asking public’s opinions in “Thailand’s politic: needs and satisfaction”. 69.4% of respondents want the current government to remain under supervision of Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont until the new general election takes place in the end of this year.

As for the satisfaction over the premier’s performance, the premier’s performance gains satisfaction from people by 45.2%. In addition, 73.3% of people want PM to fight until his administrative period ends, 21.2% needs the premier to resign from his post, and 5.5% wants the Council for National Security (CNS) to withdraw the premier by itself.

However, the southern unrest situation still tops the problem list as the people want the government to solve quickly.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 16 May 2007

CDC Chairman comments on tenant of room where explosives found

The Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC), Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri, believes that certain people are trying to relate the bombing incidents with the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) after a power-gel explosive bar that was found in the room of Mr. Pien Yongnu’s nephew, Mr. Sompong In-ngarm, who has happened to be one of the PAD leaders.

A stick of power-gel explosive was found in Mr. Sompong’s room in Charansanitwong 53 Rd. However, Sqn. Ldr. Prasong says certain people could be trying to discredit the PAD because he has been informed that Mr. Sompong has not visited his room for more than five months. Sqn. Ldr. Prasong says he personally believes the PAD has no intention to create violence and has always been staging demonstrations peacefully.

The CDC Chairman says if the allegation is true, the court would have issued an arrest warrant already. However, the court is uncertain due to insufficient evidence. He has asked people to consider this case fairly as the accused could not act in response.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 May 2007

CDC Chairman comments on tenant of room where explosives found

The Chairman of the Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC), Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri, believes that certain people are trying to relate the bombing incidents with the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) after a power-gel explosive bar that was found in the room of Mr. Pien Yongnu’s nephew, Mr. Sompong In-ngarm, who has happened to be one of the PAD leaders.

A stick of power-gel explosive was found in Mr. Sompong’s room in Charansanitwong 53 Rd. However, Sqn. Ldr. Prasong says certain people could be trying to discredit the PAD because he has been informed that Mr. Sompong has not visited his room for more than five months. Sqn. Ldr. Prasong says he personally believes the PAD has no intention to create violence and has always been staging demonstrations peacefully.

The CDC Chairman says if the allegation is true, the court would have issued an arrest warrant already. However, the court is uncertain due to insufficient evidence. He has asked people to consider this case fairly as the accused could not act in response.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 17 May 2007

While I applaud Prasong's hesitance to point fingers, I wonder if he would show the same caution had the explosives been found in the room of a TRT leader's nephew.

30034450-01.jpg

An anti-coup group stages a political play to mark the 15th anniversary of the May uprising on Thursday. The play showed an incident in which soldiers attacked unarmed pro-democracy people in front of Ratanakosin Hotel.

Source: The Nation - 17 May 2007