Vaccine in October?

JerseytoBKK

With some many pharmaceutical companies racing to become among the leaders in getting the first vaccines past stage 3 and subsequent regulatory approvals, I think we'll be seeing these types of headlines at least weekly:

https://investors.pfizer.com/investor-news/press-release-details/2020/Pfizer-and-BioNTech-Share-Positive-Early-Data-on-Lead-mRNA-Vaccine-Candidate-BNT162b2-Against-COVID-19/default.aspx

Assuming clinical success, Pfizer and BioNTech are on track to seek regulatory review of BNT162b2 as early as October 2020 and, if regulatory authorization or approval is obtained, currently plan to supply up to 100 million doses worldwide by the end of 2020 and approximately 1.3 billion doses by the end of 2021

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/pfizer--biontech-shares-gain-as-more-data-backs-vaccine-candidate-13042488 

Pfizer has said repeatedly since June that it was targeting October for its application and the companies started a large late-stage study last month of the candidate vaccine, one of the few globally in later stages of development.

I read a couple of weeks ago that some of these vaccines are already in mass production (eg., AZ in India I think) to avoid delay if approval is obtained. The lots will be destroyed if the vaccine fails. So expect local hospitals to have supplies soon after FDA approval.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Rancid said:

Look up the side effects these new style gene modifying vaccines from the US and UK have been causing. Symptoms are worse than the actual virus...

Took your advice. Yawn.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid-19-vaccines-may-cause-mild-side-effects-experts-say-stressing-need-for-education-not-alarm/

Edited by rcummings

I just read somewhere that the Spanish Flu indeed killed millions, but that most of those deaths were caused by the vaccine they got injected.

I also read that Oxford vaccine / Astra Zeneca is producing millions of doses currently for European countries, but the governments have to sign that they can not be held responsible for possible damages caused by the vaccine

Edited by Susco
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Susco said:

I just read somewhere that the Spanish Flu indeed killed millions, but that most of those deaths were caused by the vaccine they got injected.

I also read that Oxford vaccine / Astra Zeneca is producing millions of doses currently for European countries, but the governments have to sign that they can not be held responsible for possible damages caused by the vaccine

Since the Spanish Flu outbreak was 1918-1920, and the first flu vaccine dates from the 1940's, what you just read was anti-vaxxer ill-informed lies, or,  more charitably, a "mistake".

The European governments all signing an agreement they can not be held responsible for possible damages is just made up.

Edited by partington
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, partington said:

The European governments signing an they can not be held responsible for possible damages is just made up.

Tell that to Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-astrazeneca-results-vaccine-liability/astrazeneca-to-be-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccine-liability-claims-in-most-countries-idUSKCN24V2EN

AstraZeneca to be exempt from coronavirus vaccine liability claims in most countries

https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/127905/coronavirus-belgian-experts-shocked-as-astrazeneca-seeks-liability-waiver-for-vaccine/

A pharmaceutical firm developing a coronavirus vaccine of which Belgium has already secured millions of doses has made the “exceptional” request to not be held liable for any potential side effects.

put back till winter 2021 now

CORONAVIRUS vaccine is unlikely to be ready before the winter of 2021, the Chief Medical Officer has warned today.

Professor Chris Whitty said he would be "surprised" if an effective immunisation would be available any earlier.https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12476005/no-coronavirus-vaccine-before-winter-warning/

9 hours ago, Susco said:

Astra Zeneca is charging $4 per dose during the pandemic. And that also covers R&D costs. So they're not going to be profiting much if anything from it. It doesn't seem unfair that they be exempted from liability. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Susco said:

You intentionally posted false information. How do I know?

Because once your information is shown to be false, you  do not aceppt that you were caught and retract the false claim, and instead double down on the disinformation with this post;

3 hours ago, Susco said:

Tell that to Reuters

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-astrazeneca-results-vaccine-liability/astrazeneca-to-be-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccine-liability-claims-in-most-countries-idUSKCN24V2EN

AstraZeneca to be exempt from coronavirus vaccine liability claims in most countries https://www.brusselstimes.com/belgium/127905/coronavirus-belgian-experts-shocked-as-astrazeneca-seeks-liability-waiver-for-vaccine/

A pharmaceutical firm developing a coronavirus vaccine of which Belgium has already secured millions of doses has made the “exceptional” request to not be held liable for any potential side effects.

This is part of a request for the vaccine to fall under the existing vaccine no fault compensation programs around the world. Nothing unusual or devious.  Remember the false claims that the MMR vaccine caused autism?  No, of course you conveniently forget that one.  I will remind you: The claim was shown to be false and part of a multi billion dollar extortion campaign, with the  "doctor' who originated the claim exposed as a fraud. The lawyers and "experts" who promoted the claim made vast sums of money.  Unfortunately, until the extortion and fraud was unraveled, some cases in the USA made it to court and juries awarded large settlements based upon the false information. None of the plaintiffs were ever obliged to refund their ill gotten awards because that is not how the justice system works in the USA. 

Many countries already have no fault compensation programs for claims arising from vaccine injury. This includes the USA which extends the fund to 15  vaccines. The burden of proof is much lower than with a civil personal injury suit, and yet despite that, there  are relatively few claims made because there are few injuries sustained.

We get it: You are opposed to vaccines either because you are ignorant, or wish to see people die or perceive the world as out to get you. Whatever.  Why not be honest and just say you are against the vaccine. Good enough. Don't take it, and stop posting dishonest and misleading claims and statements. Just live your life and don't force your desire to see us return to the medieval ages where disease destroys society and brings out the worst in people.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, rcummings said:

Astra Zeneca is charging $4 per dose during the pandemic. And that also covers R&D costs. So they're not going to be profiting much if anything from it. It doesn't seem unfair that they be exempted from liability. 

Public Liability Cover is normally part of any short-term insurance policy contract that businesses take out to protect them from negative financial effects should they be litigated against in the course of normal business activities.  As this company has its head office in England, I assume that they would have such a policy. So, in the event of claims they would be covered by their insurance policy.

Why should the shareholders be protected at the expense of the population at large who might have no choice but to get the vaccine?

And they are going to make a ton of money for their shareholders if they get out of the gate a lot earlier than their competitors.

I personally think setting a precedent with this type of waiver is not the right way to go.

11 hours ago, oompie69 said:

Public Liability Cover is normally part of any short-term insurance policy contract that businesses take out to protect them from negative financial effects should they be litigated against in the course of normal business activities.  As this company has its head office in England, I assume that they would have such a policy. So, in the event of claims they would be covered by their insurance policy.

Why should the shareholders be protected at the expense of the population at large who might have no choice but to get the vaccine?

And they are going to make a ton of money for their shareholders if they get out of the gate a lot earlier than their competitors.

I personally think setting a precedent with this type of waiver is not the right way to go.

Who is going to be compelling anyone to get vaccinated?

As pointed out above, Astra-Zeneca is charging very little for an innoculation: US$4 

It's governments that are pushing for the companies to act fast. So if anyone should be doing the indemnifying, it's them.