Hybrids in the kingdom

I've seen sales for a couple of new hybrid cars here in Thailand. Nissan has its "Kicks" and Toyota is offering a "Corolla Cross", both of which seem to feature impossible gas mileage (sorry, petrol efficiency). Does anyone have opinions on this?

I also understand that Suzuki will be introducing a hybrid Swift in 2021. Many of these use  passive methods (require no charging) to assist the fossil fueled engine and burn less fuel. Braking generates electrictity and this coupled with enhanced features that turn off the the engine when stopped for longer periods in traffic and assisting in it's restart with the stored power make them a pretty good fuel efficient option. I was looking at a Swift this year...but will wait until the new version becomes available here.

A friend owns on the Honda Hybrids (a few years old now)...she seems to love it...no big issues that I know about.

• Like 2

Hybrids achieve greater fuel efficiency largely through energy recovery (charging battery) when decelerating. The brakes last years because there is so little wear. Hybrid gains are in stop/start urban and suburban driving. On the open highway you're running on the IC engine most of the time so savings are quite limited.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Hybrids achieve greater fuel efficiency largely through energy recovery (charging battery) when decelerating. The brakes last years because there is so little wear. Hybrid gains are in stop/start urban and suburban driving. On the open highway you're running on the IC engine most of the time so savings are quite limited.

Some of the Hybrids use the Atkinson cycle engine. So some saving in efficiency over what we would consider as a normal cycle for the IC engine.

PHEV is probably the way to go until fully electric becomes the norm. If you can manage to save the battery for use in heavy traffic then it does make quite a difference with your consumption and exhaust emissions. 

I find running in ESave mode is quite sensible...it still is in hybrid mode but keeps the hybrid battery at the charge level when you select that mode ...awaiting the heavy traffic!!!

Edited by PFMills

The new Cross Hybrid is priced very competitively. Basically the same as the new Mazda CX-30. If fuel economy is your goal, getting the hybrid is a no brainer. If being environmentally friendly is your goal, then it get's a bit more complicated.

I'm traditionally not a fan of Toyota, but the hybrid is priced well, looks pretty good inside and out, get's amazing mileage, and has enough space inside to comfortably take a family of 4 away for the weekend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Katipo said:

The new Cross Hybrid is priced very competitively. Basically the same as the new Mazda CX-30. If fuel economy is your goal, getting the hybrid is a no brainer. If being environmentally friendly is your goal, then it get's a bit more complicated.

I'm traditionally not a fan of Toyota, but the hybrid is priced well, looks pretty good inside and out, get's amazing mileage, and has enough space inside to comfortably take a family of 4 away for the weekend.

Looking at how bulky (SUV-like) that car seems to be, it's amazing (and a little suspect) that its quoted efficiency seems to be equal to about 55 mpg. I drove a Prius for many years, but it rarely got that much efficiency. I'll take a closer look at that model. Thanks.

• Like 1

I have just ordered a new Toyota Cross Hybrid Premium. It's estimated fuel consumption figures are far better than my present petrol Toyota SUV.

I have always liked Toyota here, as I am known, get good service and the folks behind the desks can speak English.

I am not sold nor convinced to buy a full battery driven car yet. Too many cons involved.

Last year I bought a BMW X3 Hybrid.

On 8/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, Ruffian Dick said:

I've seen sales for a couple of new hybrid cars here in Thailand. Nissan has its "Kicks" and Toyota is offering a "Corolla Cross", both of which seem to feature impossible gas mileage (sorry, petrol efficiency). Does anyone have opinions on this?

Go with the Toyota Corolla Cross, the engine is already well proven as is the drive train and very fuel efficient,  it will last for years. The electric motor will also certainly boost your mileage.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 4:27 PM, Inepto Cracy said:

Last year I bought a BMW X3 Hybrid.

Interested to know whether you've been happy with the X3 Hybrid, and which dealer you bought from as I heard that it can be hit and miss with BMW dealers in Bangkok (some good, most have poor after sales service). Thanks.

Hybrids in what ever form just seem to me to increase the complexity of an already complex ICE system. This must increase ongoing costs? The latest Nissan is interesting, I believe a petrol generator running an electric motor. The MG all electric unfortunately only has the range for a city driver about 220km, waiting to see if a 500km range battery comes in 2021. That could be a game changer.

19 hours ago, Rawairat said:

Hybrids in what ever form just seem to me to increase the complexity of an already complex ICE system. This must increase ongoing costs? The latest Nissan is interesting, I believe a petrol generator running an electric motor. The MG all electric unfortunately only has the range for a city driver about 220km, waiting to see if a 500km range battery comes in 2021. That could be a game changer.

I've had my MG for nearly a year and get 305-320 kms driving around in Phuket.

I love it. Brilliant! I'll never buy another petrol or diesel car.

Just got back from a short break in Krabi. The hotel was happy to let me plug in and charge for free.

On 8/25/2020 at 1:12 PM, Rawairat said:

My experience with hybrids here in the UK has been almost exclusively with Toyota.  Despite the added complexity they seem to be hugely reliable.  We have a service/repair workshop attached to the car sales outlet that I'm a partner in and I can't recall a single breakdown on a hybrid.  We have sold some used Toyota hybrids and customers all seem to really like them.  A common grumble however is that they don't quite achieve the claimed fuel economy.  A lot depends on driving conditions.  They are great in urban stop-start and taxi drivers in the UK are moving over to hybrids in droves.  Feedback is that they are less popular with rural owners since the fuel economy gains are pretty modest (running on IC most of the time) and they are a bit ponderous to drive on twisting British rural roads.  There is a strong market in shipping in used Prius from Japan, however, and they fetch solid prices.

The hybrid power train is very solid on Toyotas and we've only seen a couple of problems - 1. the 12V battery that powers the doorlocks and other accessories tends to go flat if the car is not used for a long time (it will recharge from the traction battery though). 2. the inlet for the battery cooling fan inside the car tends to get blocked with debris, leading to battery overheat and warning messages.

Other than that it tends to be just changing brake and steering components as the mileage builds up.

Pure electric I am not so sure about in Thailand.  IF you don't venture far and have your own charging facilities then OK.  But I think it will be quite some time before Thai infrastructure is sufficiently developed to encourage me to buy an electric vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:46 PM, mark5335 said:

Interested to know whether you've been happy with the X3 Hybrid, and which dealer you bought from as I heard that it can be hit and miss with BMW dealers in Bangkok (some good, most have poor after sales service). Thanks.

Opsy I am at fault, I should have mentioned that my X3 Hybrid is in Cape Town. I would not like to buy a BMW in Thailand, prices way too expensive, the motor plan is limited etc. Cant say too much about after sales service, but I have heard from other owners that it is not up on par with after sales service in the west.

To answer your question, yes I like the X3 but it has taken me a while to get used to engine switching off when you stop at traffic stops or lights. The fuel consumption is very good indeed but petrol is quite pricey in South Africa.

• Like 1

I'd be interested to learn from your early Toyota Cross adopters how you feel with the car. It's a brand new model, maybe slight teething issues, yet Toyota stands for durability. 

Car doesn't look bulky to me. Everything seems fine, but I prefer to wait for a year or so before ordering.

2 hours ago, heiri007 said:

I'd be interested to learn from your early Toyota Cross adopters how you feel with the car. It's a brand new model, maybe slight teething issues, yet Toyota stands for durability. 

Car doesn't look bulky to me. Everything seems fine, but I prefer to wait for a year or so before ordering.

No need to wait. This is very well-proven and very reliable technology. The drivetrain (2ZRFXE engine and eCVT) has been around since 2010 on the Prius, 2012 on the Lexus CT200 and also used in the Auris in Europe. The platform is the E210 Corolla, which they've been making since 2018.

Seems a formidable combination to me.

It will be interesting if Thailand gets the new Yaris Cross Hybrid this is just coming to Europe. I think it would be a winner in Thailand. Looks very well packaged.  The amazing thing is how much cars have grown. The Yaris Cross is a 'small' car but has a wheelbase a little longer than an early-1990s Range Rover!

• Like 1