Thai drivers license is about to expire

kraxlhuber

Belated but not too late, I hope, my Thai drivers license is expiring on 25 August 2020.

I need to extend the 2 licenses, for motorcycle and sedan.

The licenses were issued in chiang rai, I dont live there anymore, I still have a Tabian Baan for the residency ( Family house)

Now I live in the Rangsit area with my daugher who is stadying here.

She has rented a DORM, in an apartment building for studendts.

She has no contract for the rental, neither do I.

I was informed, in order to get an extension or a new license, I must show a residencial contract.

What can I do now.  Any advise from my fellows?

kraxlhuber, senior member

Go down to DLT tomorrow with your Tabian Baan (Yellow house book - Chiang Rai) and see if they will issue you with a new licence. 

I’m not sure if you can replace a licence with an 'out of province address’ (proof of address or Tabien Baan), but that would be the first thing I’d try before jumping through a load of hoops. 

Other options: Do you have any utilities registered at your address?

Mobile Phone Bill / Electricity Bill / Water Bill ?

You may be able to get an Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy using a local bill. 

Alternatively, if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days and carried out a 90 day report you ’should’ be able to get a Letter of Residence from Immigration. 

You go to the Immigration place in Muang Thong Thani. The same place one goes for a 90 day report and apply for a Certificate of Residency. On the application form there is a question Purpose of Request or some such thing and one of the option is application for a driving licence. 

Then you use the same address on the 90 day report form and after parting with 400 baht they mail the thing to your house. Arrives in about a week.

Use this along with driving licence application.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 11:06 AM, VyacheslavKHV said:

Must be okay with Yellow book from Chiang Mai. 

I tried this in phang nga 10 years ago, but they sent me back to where my address was.. So i dont think it would work. Book a hotel where you are for a night and show that.. should suffice. In theory at least ...

4 hours ago, paahlman said:
On 8/23/2020 at 4:06 PM, VyacheslavKHV said:

Must be okay with Yellow book from Chiang Mai. 

I tried this in phang nga 10 years ago, but they sent me back to where my address was.. So i dont think it would work. Book a hotel where you are for a night and show that.. should suffice. In theory at least ...

An official Affirmation of Residence / Proof of Residence is required, not a hotel booking, not a Mobile Phone Bill etc.... 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:27 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Go down to DLT tomorrow with your Tabian Baan (Yellow house book - Chiang Rai) and see if they will issue you with a new licence. 

I’m not sure if you can replace a licence with an 'out of province address’ (proof of address or Tabien Baan), but that would be the first thing I’d try before jumping through a load of hoops. 

Other options: Do you have any utilities registered at your address?

Mobile Phone Bill / Electricity Bill / Water Bill ?

You may be able to get an Affirmation of Residence from your Embassy using a local bill. 

Alternatively, if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days and carried out a 90 day report you ’should’ be able to get a Letter of Residence from Immigration. 

"Alternatively, if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days and carried out a 90 day report you ’should’ be able to get a Letter of Residence from Immigration." 

How will immigration issue a Resident Certificate without any proof of residence in the first place? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ronaldo0 said:

Just throw them in the bin . Only a 200Bht fine for not having one ! ????

And a bonus for your insurance, because they don't have to pay for anything if you don't have a driving license.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Long as  you have current Yellow Book and correct other bits you can renew anywhere. Im registered Ao Nang/Crabi but renewed 5 Year n .Supanbury.

You are wrong to say anywhere.

Last week I has an appointment to renew at Chonburi which had been made on the basis of a yellow book. The woman on the reception desk refused to let me keep the appointment as I did not have a certificate from immigration, said the staff were wrong to have given me an appointment.

She may have been transferred from Pattaya as that office does not accept yellow books.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"Alternatively, if you have been in Thailand for more than 90 days and carried out a 90 day report you ’should’ be able to get a Letter of Residence from Immigration." 

How will immigration issue a Resident Certificate without any proof of residence in the first place? 

When you carry out your 90 day report, you list your residence on the form - you have legally verified your residence in front of a witness (a Thai Immigration officer). 

Following this, you can request a ‘Proof of Residence’ document from the Immigration office. 

Many many people obtain their Proof of Residence document this way. 

4 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Long as  you have current Yellow Book and correct other bits you can renew anywhere. Im registered Ao Nang/Crabi but renewed 5 Year n .Supanbury.

Unfortunately *some DLT offices will not accept the Yellow Tabein Baan as Proof of Residence. 

It seems idiotic as the Yellow Tabein Baan is as official as it gets regarding Proof of Residence. 

I can only assume that ‘someone’ in a position of decision making power at the DLT in *Pattaya has interpreted the rules incorrectly and is stubbornly sticking to their opinion - also known as saving face. 

*Pattaya is the only DLT I’ve heard of (read of) which does not accept the Yellow house book / Tabien Baan for a foreigner. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unfortunately *some DLT offices will not accept the Yellow Tabein Baan as Proof of Residence. 

It seems idiotic as the Yellow Tabein Baan is as official as it gets regarding Proof of Residence. 

I can only assume that ‘someone’ in a position of decision making power at the DLT in *Pattaya has interpreted the rules incorrectly and is stubbornly sticking to their opinion - also known as saving face. 

*Pattaya is the only DLT I’ve heard of (read of) which does not accept the Yellow house book / Tabien Baan for a foreigner. 

5 years ago I renewed my 5-year licence at Pattaya DLT using my yellow book as proof of address.

Last week my yellow book was rejected and I was sent away to get a residence certificate from Jomtien Immigration - and given an appointment for the next day.

It was not a great inconvenience, but it was unexpected.

Jomtien Immigration charged 300 baht for the certificate. 2 photos and copies of my pp and last 90-day report cost another 100 baht at the shop next door.

When I returned to the DLT the next day for my appointment it took just under 2 hours to get through the tests (colour, brakes, depth perception) and video presentation.

Not too bad really.

I should also mention that I had the exact fee ready to pay - 505 baht according to the DLT website - but I was charged 555 baht.

It’s been 2-1/2 years when I applied for DL ... went to IO UT asked for

proof of residence (showed my passport with visa/extensions. IO asked

one or two letters... need two if for car and moto. 

Don’t remember if they charged me... got two copies within 15 minutes..

As a side note, i was told by trat that the amnesty to renew runs to the end of Oct. 

I used an office out of the city (we have two) because on phoning them before they told me i could use the yellow book. The main city one on changing name of owner to me refused it, they checked on a paper rule book that looked 20yrs old, immigration even were miffed and rang them, to no avail.

Edited by brianthainess

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They can spot iffy info even in Yellow House Books. They know some how when Soi Six Sid has used a Bar Girls Parents address as proof to get one.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:28 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Last year TRAT main office refused yellow book and pink ID when changing ownership of car.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
On 8/27/2020 at 11:28 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Last year TRAT main office refused yellow book and pink ID when changing ownership of car.

I wonder if anyone has ever pushed this 'up the chain’ and asked an senior DLT officer (at Trat or Pattaya DLT) why they will not accept a legal and official proof of address.

Not accepting such proof seems completely moronic, especially when the majority of DLT offices do accept the Yellow House Book and Pink ID card. 

• Like 1