ID This Insect?

Greenside

Nice clear photos :thumbsup:

Definitely one of the 4,000 - 5,000 different species of cockroach.

Cockroaches are generally omnivorous, which means that they will eat anything... and are probably feeding on the droppings from the white grubs eating your lawn.

From Wikipedia:

Cockroaches are generalized insects, with few special adaptations, and may be among the most primitive living Neopteran insects. They have a relatively small head and a broad, flattened body, and most species are reddish-brown to dark brown. They have large compound eyes, two ocelli, and long, flexible antennae. The mouthparts are on the underside of the head and include generalized chewing mandibles, salivary glands and various touch and taste receptors.[24]

The body is divided into a thorax of three segments and a ten-segmented abdomen. The external surface has a tough exoskeleton which contains calcium carbonate and protects the inner organs and provides attachment to muscles. It is coated with wax to repel water. The wings are attached to the second and third thoracic segments. The tegmina, or first pair of wings, are tough and protective, lying as a shield on top of the membranous hind wings, which are used in flight. All four wings have branching longitudinal veins, and multiple cross-veins.[25]

The three pairs of legs are sturdy, with large coxae and five claws each.[25] They are attached to each of the three thoracic segments. The front legs are the shortest and the hind legs the longest, providing the main propulsive power when the insect runs.[24] The spines on the legs were earlier considered to be sensory, but observations of the insect's gait on sand and wire meshes have demonstrated that they help in locomotion on difficult terrain. The structures have been used as inspiration for robotic legs.[26][27]

The abdomen has ten segments, each with a pair of spiracles for respiration. Segment ten bears a pair of cerci, a pair of anal styles, the anus and the external genitalia. Males have an aedeagus through which they secrete sperm during copulation and females have spermatheca for storing sperm and an ovipositor through which the ootheca are laid.[24]

• Like 2

Thanks for the info.  My wife insisted it was a cockroach so it looks like she was right.

The pictures were snapped with the very wonderful Olympus TG5 in macro mode using the in camera focus stacking which works very well even if you are hand holding the camera.

• Like 1

I'm a Lens fan, but in this case I thought I'd just do a reverse picture search on Google and it didn't work too well.  I just tried Lens with the photo on my monitor and it immediately came up with picture of the Florida Woods Cockroach which, despite living on the wrong continent, is definitely a close enough relation to confirm the cockroach ID.

Good one!

They do look like an flat horned hisser, which can be tame and some even have them as pets.  (Search for : Madagascan Hissing Cockroach on Youtube ???? )

But the front/head is a bit different, but I think you have to look in that one branch of the cockroach species like the Woodland Cockroach (but those have white borders on the shield).