Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

A quick note to all, Peace Blondie had an accident on his bike. He was run off the road by a driver who (of course) fled the scene. He is scraped and in pain but fortunately nothing is broken. He is at home and being rendered tender care from his partner and family.

His bike is probably a total write off but the accident could have been much worse

CB

Since I see PeaceBlondie reading this thread at 12:12, I'll go ahead and wish him a speedy recovery. Hope nothing that is important was broken/rubbed off. Also my condolences about the bike; it has to be a sinking hole in his stomach to have just bought it and have some idiot wreck it.

PeaceBlondie

I thought you made a reference to coming off your bike when I was reading a post you made yesterday. I looked for a confirming post here but nothing at that time.

I hope you make a quick recovery and really sorry to hear you were run off the road and experienced the Thai sense of responsibilty. :o

The Thai sense of responsibility was demonstrated by a whole lot of Thais who stopped, rendered aid, called ambulance and police, etc.

I'm glad that was the case, PB. That would be the Thai sense of compassion. The Thai who was responsible however, as is so commonly reported, lost no time in fleeing the scene.

Another cultural divide. Naturally it would be unpleasant to have to stop and take the consequences of screwing up. But having insurance isn't just about being able to afford repairs to your own vehicle in event of an accident. The odds are, if the vehicle was newer, that the driver had private as well as government insurance, and so was covered for any medical expenses you might incur etc.

Why do they run? :o

hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I recently bought a new cbr 150 r and i'm really glad i did it. i just finished the run-in phase and was nicely surprised how well it runs for such a small 4-stroke displacement!!!

I can't believe that one of u guys, rode all the way from pattaya to chiang mai. i live in chonburi and take my bike to go to bkk at weekends and it's only 60kms or so, but still my hands tingle like hel_l.

i asked a shop in bang na in bkk how much a 197.5 cc kit is for the cbr and he said 36,500 baht, which sounds a lot to me. especially after the 250cc kit is only 18K according to u guys.

i didn't read the entire 18 pages so i have no idea where u guys live. but i'm definately interested in meeting other guys who ride a cbr. i'm also interested in longer bike tours every now and then.

Crow, did u find the shop that has got the 250 cc kit for the cbr??? i'd really love to know that place :o

is it allowed to put an aftermarket exhaust on a bike if it's not insanely loud??? i just want gain a bit more power and not a hearing impediment :D

The Thai sense of responsibility was demonstrated by a whole lot of Thais who stopped, rendered aid, called ambulance and police, etc.

I'm glad that was the case, PB. That would be the Thai sense of compassion. The Thai who was responsible however, as is so commonly reported, lost no time in fleeing the scene.

Another cultural divide. Naturally it would be unpleasant to have to stop and take the consequences of screwing up. But having insurance isn't just about being able to afford repairs to your own vehicle in event of an accident. The odds are, if the vehicle was newer, that the driver had private as well as government insurance, and so was covered for any medical expenses you might incur etc.

Why do they run? :o

they run because the insurance covers ONLY damage that was sustained by people. material damage has to be paid out of their own pockets. besides, it's easier to run and avoid all the trouble with police etc. than facing it. in my opinion running is lower than low class, but once more it seems they can't afford it.

a friend of mine got hit by a taxi driver. when the police arrived, the cop, after talking to the cab driver, asked my friend if he has an insurance for his car, which he had. so the cop said: "ok u pay for yr own damage because the cab driver doesn't have an insurance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's just so unbelievable sometimes. i mean just look at the way some of them drive/ride...

hi guys,

I'm new to this forum. I recently bought a new cbr 150 r and i'm really glad i did it. i just finished the run-in phase and was nicely surprised how well it runs for such a small 4-stroke displacement!!!

I can't believe that one of u guys, rode all the way from pattaya to chiang mai. i live in chonburi and take my bike to go to bkk at weekends and it's only 60kms or so, but still my hands tingle like hel_l.

You have several options; first, try and get some riding gloves, especially those with gel inserts in the palms. Second, you can try and change your riding position. Third, you could try and get risers to get the bars back to where your hands are--usually a tingling is indicative of too much weight being on the hands/wrists whilst riding. Fourthly you could buy a kilo or two of lead shot, peel the grips and controls off and have a shop pour the molten lead into the handle ends. The added mass will help quell vibrations, but it could increase turn effort.

i asked a shop in bang na in bkk how much a 197.5 cc kit is for the cbr and he said 36,500 baht, which sounds a lot to me. especially after the 250cc kit is only 18K according to u guys.

i didn't read the entire 18 pages so i have no idea where u guys live. but i'm definately interested in meeting other guys who ride a cbr. i'm also interested in longer bike tours every now and then.

We seem to have an overabundance of CBR club members up in Chiang Mai area. Pattaya seems to be the next largest place for owners to be from. As far as I know, I'm the only one in Nakhon Sawan.

Crow, did u find the shop that has got the 250 cc kit for the cbr??? i'd really love to know that place :o

is it allowed to put an aftermarket exhaust on a bike if it's not insanely loud??? i just want gain a bit more power and not a hearing impediment :D

If you're best buddies with the local B.I.B. it's no problem at all. Or if you live outside the city proper. However if neither of those two conditions apply to you, be sure to keep a small amount of tea money in your underseat compartment; I do just that in the owner's book, so the 'fine' officer in charge can discretely palm it while checking out the book.

hi guys,

You have several options; first, try and get some riding gloves, especially those with gel inserts in the palms. Second, you can try and change your riding position. Third, you could try and get risers to get the bars back to where your hands are--usually a tingling is indicative of too much weight being on the hands/wrists whilst riding. Fourthly you could buy a kilo or two of lead shot, peel the grips and controls off and have a shop pour the molten lead into the handle ends. The added mass will help quell vibrations, but it could increase turn effort.

We seem to have an overabundance of CBR club members up in Chiang Mai area. Pattaya seems to be the next largest place for owners to be from. As far as I know, I'm the only one in Nakhon Sawan.

If you're best buddies with the local B.I.B. it's no problem at all. Or if you live outside the city proper. However if neither of those two conditions apply to you, be sure to keep a small amount of tea money in your underseat compartment; I do just that in the owner's book, so the 'fine' officer in charge can discretely palm it while checking out the book.

i used to use my mountain bike gloves the first few times which r padded but they made it even worse for soe reason. probably i just gripped harder while using them. anyway now that i'm not using them anymore it's much better but still there.

i was thinking about making a streetfighter out of it with an enduro handle bar this might help. maybe i should just get proper back muscles (arnie like) so i don't have all that weight on my palms.

the idea with the teamoney in the book is great!!!!!!!!!! i'm gonna adopt that.

by the way dave, where u from? i'm from germany. r u in chonburi or pattaya area sometimes? how about bike tours?

Edited by pacovl46

hi guys,

i used to use my mountain bike gloves the first few times which r padded but they made it even worse for soe reason. probably i just gripped harder while using them. anyway now that i'm not using them anymore it's much better but still there.

i was thinking about making a streetfighter out of it with an enduro handle bar this might help. maybe i should just get proper back muscles (arnie like) so i don't have all that weight on my palms.

the idea with the teamoney in the book is great!!!!!!!!!! i'm gonna adopt that.

by the way dave, where u from? i'm from germany. r u in chonburi or pattaya area sometimes? how about bike tours?

I'm from the States, specifically North-west Ohio. You'll occasionally catch me down in Samut Prakarn, and I've ridden down to Chonburi on occasion. I'm up for a CBR 150R bike tour; just need to get something planned.

Crow Boy

I have learned how to use single quotes but not multiple ones yet ie quoting you and my previous post as well so people can follow, so will just get on with replying to your points.

1. Good to learn there are shops in BKK that have the go-fast bits for the CBR150, as I am going up there in the next couple of weeks. Will try to find them. Unfortunately I don't know the city very well. If I come across the shop with the Yoshi gear I will get their card.

2. Regarding the CDI ignition. Apparently there are a couple of areas in BKK that cater to the motosai go-fast crowd. The fellow who posted responded to my question about where to buy.

"At the bike market especially if your living in Bkk, is easy to access! I heard there is a performance center somewhere in MBK top floor or something, so go have a look.

Yeah you will get that little extra consumption of 17 CC's I think or more, different bikes different setup for the CDI, plus this particular one I'm talking about, the "Kitti XBOC Racing chip", costs around 3000 baht and is plug and play, so no need for all that heavy configuration with your bikes system."

The above in quotes was the response I got.

3.Tires. Yes the IRC tires are good enough. But I would still rather ride on Michelin or Dunlop. In the export markets where they are sold, they are an inexpensive tire. Given the footprint of the CBR tires, I want to be riding on (relatively) expensive tires. But as you point out, getting them here in Thailand is easier said than done.

4. I don't have the moisture (?) problem you are experiencing. Have gone thru 4 or 5 rainy seasons. No problems.

5. I lost an Index helmet the same way. These stupid kids can't even correctly use the helmet after cutting the D-ring strap! I purchased a new but old model (late '90's) Shoei at the Paddock in Bkk a few years ago for about 4,000 Baht. They had many good helmets but not all were cheap. I don't use it in town. Helmets get so sweaty here. Better to buy a new Thai-made helmet every year. I now have a 1 metre long Kryptonite-type cable that I can run thru the face-shield opening and thru the frame. They ain't gettin' that helmet without taking the whole bike! And funnily they don't steal CBR150's very often. No market for the parts.

6. There is no parallel thread. That was a reference to a website that claims there is no longer a 200cc restriction on Thai-made bikes. Bring on the Thai CBR250!

TYRES TYRES - my cbr 150 tyres are not at all sticky, and slide much too easily under most moderate cornering - can you tell me of any better tyres available in Chiang Mai... then I can have more fun.

hi guys,

Welcome and good choice
The week I bought it I rode the bike from Chiang Mai up to Chiang Rai/Mai Sai for a border run and then down to Kuala Lumphur in Malaysia - then back to Chiang Mai. Good ride but it would have been much easier of a bigger bike.

Was Chiang Mai but relocated to Pattaya

Not spent any time finding it to be honest. Not sure if I would bother now. The 150 is a sweet bike with a lot going for it. If Honda decide to release the 250 model I would be tempted to trade it.

Depending on the level of loud you will probably be ok.

happy riding

CB

What is the top speed of a CBR 150?

I've seen an indicated 150+ on it; this was flat out with out a hill in sight. However, as others have noted it, speedometer drift can be quite severe, so round about the 25th after my Garmin Zumo is installed I can give you GPS'd numbers.

Ok thanks for that.

I'm also looking for a bit bigger bike then i have now..

And really like the looks of the CBR.

The only thing is, i have never driven a manual moterbike accept for my honda wave.

Is shifting gears the same or different??

And are you aloud to drive these moterbikes with the regular moterbike license?

Thanks again, Jared.

Hi Jared,

it's not that much different. shifting up: First gear down all the others up. Shifting down: 5x down 1 up

I read about how to run-in a new engine, best oil and oil filters on page 3 on this thread. since the garage didn't change the filter after my first oil change i gave them a call this morning because i wanted to know what kind of filters they have. unfortunately the lady one the phone (official honda dealer where i bought my cbr) had absolutely NO idea what my thai-friend was talking about. they don't even know what full synthetic oil is. i just sooooooo can't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now my question is: is it possible that the cbr doesn't have an oil filter, because i was looking for one and i couldn't see anything??!!

next question: where in bkk or pattaya can i get full synthetic motor oil,preferably shell. I'm gonna take a look at a shell gas station next time i'm passing one. i hope they have it.

thanks a lot in advance for any info!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thai bikes do not usually have oil filters! The CBR150 has none. I could not convince my roommate to even ask the dealer about synthetic oil.

hi peaceblondi,

:o thanks for yr reply, that goes for u too croboy.how did u recover from yr crash peaceblondie???

i found a really nice oil dealer today in chonburi. i couldn't believe the selection of fully synthetic oils he had. i went to about 10 gas stations and 15 motosai shops in bangkok in the hope to find some mobile 1 or shell rotella last weekend. eventually i ended up with a liter of veloil ( i never heard about it before) which i bought at a rim dealer for 450 baht.

the shop in chonburi has mobile 1, delron or delvon by mobile 1, castrol and ptt and one more shich name i can't remember. he wants only 1600 to 1800 baht for 4 liters. last time in bkk the mobile 1 was 2400.

the shop is extremely east to find. when u drive into chonburi city from pattaya, past carrefour, big c and tesco u just go straight ahead. after maybe 2 km past tesco u'll see a big castrol sign (2x1.5 meters) on the left side at a height of about 2,5 meters from the ground right bside the street. u really can't miss it.

@ crowboy, where in pattaya r u to find? i have a friend in pattaya that i go see twice a month. i'm interested in a longer bike tour maybe in october

Wow, the CBR seems to be the bike of choice for Thai expats and reading thru some of this thread I get the picture that the reasons are for performance, reliabality, handling, spare parts availibility and price....am i correct or leaving out something?

My one problem with the CRB is that i don' really like that modern 'crotch rocket' look with all that flairing, so can some of the fancy flaring be removed w/o any problems?? maybe it's been done and someone could share a foto on this thread.

I also like the idea of fatter tires for smoother ride and better traction. can that be done on the stock rims??

hi jaideeguy

i was thinking about making a streetfighter out of my cbr but this would require someone who could make me a new fairing. at least to hide the intercooler because that one looks really ugly.

about the tires,

there is a cbr forum in the internet and a guy from malaysia said that u can put 110 on the front and 130 on the rear. but then it's only milimeters to the swing. in his opinion a 90 on the front and 130 on the rear is ideal because the bike keeps its flickability and acceleration. with a 110 on the front u also might have to bend the fender a bit further out. unfortunately i don't know if he put the tires on the stock rims

Another concern that i have with these 'crotch rocket' bikes is the posture that the rider has to assume. Looks kind of uncomfortable, leaning so far foreward, where most normal bikes, the posture seems more upright.

Comments on this concern??

hi again,

the position on a cbr is surprisingly upright in my opinion. it's not as upright as on a wave but but closer to a wave than to a big bike.at least for me

Don't worry, I am ready for the abuse!

As some of you on the TV-CNX, I have been looking for a bike. Originally thought I wanted a Tiger Boxer 200, but none available. And also no parts available if you need them.

People have been suggesting (strongly!) CBR 150. I didn't want to ride 'cafe' postion, but thought I should try the CBR (great manufacturer. great reviews, great price, ok displacement, legal, etc)

Rented one today and zipped up to Doi Suthep and beyond.

The CBR turned out to be EXACTLY what I expected. A perfect bike. But I don't want it...

I want to sit upright.

NOW FOR MY QUESTION - can I modify a CBR to sit upright?

Can I turn a CBR150 into a "CB" style? Normal upright riding position, etc

I see that the gear shift might be easy - just remove the linkage and move the pedal right onto the shift shaft - add a foot pedal bracket. The rear brake are hydraulic, so a custom bracket for that...

Bars? I dunno. I do see that Thailand has a lot of modified big bikes with 'up-bars' where there used to be 'down-bars'

And more comfortable seats (different padding).

Ready for any suggestions (maybe not ANY suggestions, but most of them...)

AND, if I showed up at a CBR meet with that monstrosity, could I come along?

Cheers, WJ

p.s. - I am not an assh.le

p.p.s. - Oh wait a minute - maybe I am!

u could fit an enduro or supermoto handle bar which probably would help a lot. please check out the nzstreetfighters.com they have really nice headlight units for streetfighter. my favourite is called spark headlight unit. that unit with a custom made intercooler fairing and a race tail would look awsome on a cbr.