Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Ok, went back to the very first page and started reading posts. That was about an hour and a half ago, and still can't find what I'm looking for.

Headlights on CBR are NOT that good at night, and I'd like to find something better. Tried xenon, 2 different sets, but that didn't help matters. Someone said there was a thread on here about someone who found a better or bigger bulb that works, but after 90 minutes of reading, I can't find it, and my eyes are getting blurry now. lol.

So, if anyone can tell me about a bigger, brighter, better bulb for the headlights, you'll have my enternal gratitude.

I dont know about the bulbs, but i agree the lights could have been better!

This might interest you Projector bulbs and use google translate if you cant read thai. Not sure about the improvement as i have not tried them.

peace

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, it would see that the CBR is the "bike of choice" for the collection agents of the loan sharks. I live near BoSang, and there are at least 3 CBRs here that are used by the "collectors", 1 black, 1 blue, 1 red. You can always spot them and know who they are by the clothes they wear - brown work shoes, brown pants, matching brown jacket. My wife said she went into C.M. on Wednesday and saw a group of about 10 CBRs and their loan shark drivers. She said most were dressed in the brown, but a few were dressed in matching dark blue. So who says Thai don't like the CBR? HAHAHA

I might. Or I just might wait and see if they do come out with a FI model around July, then see how those lights are, and maybe get one of them. If not, then I'll probably do the switch on lights. According to my wife, the guy guarantees that his units are twice as bright as the stock ones.

Sounds nice, you gonna go for it? Wonder how the quality is.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the new pipe as well, I think the sound is better though agreed not much louder (apologies to whoever asked me about it before). One thing my mechanic noticed though is that it's now necessary to take some of the fairing off when doing an oil change.

withnail..... How is your pipe doing? Mine cracked today at one of the welds not far from the muffler. Dang. The Honda shop took it off and it's going to get re-brazed, but good welds should not crack. With all the other welds on the pipe, I expect it will crack again.

In the continuing saga of my 1500 baht exhaust pipe, here is how it looked when I got home last night. Yep, it was loud. You can see the weld that was previously repaired on the second joint upstream. In looking at the repair, it has great weld penetration, but the original welds have virtually no penetration.

post-498-1270439501_thumb.jpg

Less than three months on the pipe and now two joints have cracked. I'm headed to find a good shop in CM to reweld every joint in hopes of keeping it together. If you are going to buy a new pipe, I would be very cautious of great deals.

I might. Or I just might wait and see if they do come out with a FI model around July, then see how those lights are, and maybe get one of them. If not, then I'll probably do the switch on lights. According to my wife, the guy guarantees that his units are twice as bright as the stock ones.
Sounds nice, you gonna go for it? Wonder how the quality is.

Ok, well if they really are twice as bright that would be very nice. 3500 isnt that much money for that extra safety.

Let us know what you do and if you buy them if they are worth the money :)

use Osram 36 watt bulbs, the stock bulbs are 16-18 watts...then adjust the windage of the lights by turning the 10mm screw.

clockwise goes down.

using higher wattage anything is going to exceed the current ratings for the stock connections. The headlight plugs contact tabs which are soldered will slowly recede. But you can easily resolder them back to height, or buy a new plug from honda for 180 baht.

Osram bulbs - 160-200 baht these are what i use and the light is much brighter, still not as good as even a honda click but about 50% brighter than stock.

If your going to use higher wattage bulbs there's two things i'd take into consideration:

1. use the old style switch that allows you to turn off the headlights, or make one.

2. inspect your alternators stator for dark/charred wires. 1350 baht.

higher wattage bulbs will create a heavier load on the stator and heat it up more.

In the continuing saga of my 1500 baht exhaust pipe, here is how it looked when I got home last night. Yep, it was loud. You can see the weld that was previously repaired on the second joint upstream. In looking at the repair, it has great weld penetration, but the original welds have virtually no penetration.

Reduced 75%

800 x 646 (214.17K)

Less than three months on the pipe and now two joints have cracked. I'm headed to find a good shop in CM to reweld every joint in hopes of keeping it together. If you are going to buy a new pipe, I would be very cautious of great deals.

Needs tig welding with somebody who knows what their doing good luck

Reduced 75%

800 x 646 (214.17K)

If you find a shop in CM can you post the name and location.

I have a downpipe from a full exhaust system i want welded/attached to a stock muffler (not on a CBR).

The downpipe may need to be cut or bent to fit, as it was not meant to be attached to the stock muffler.

thanks.

Hi my bike is only six months old and the chrome part of my exhaust muffler is starting to show signs of pitting and rusting, ( looks like little stone chips )? I clean my bike well and was wondering if this is just a bad exhaust that I got , as I have not seen any of my friends exhauts do this? Any advise ?

Thanks for the information, now do you have any idea whwere I can get one in Phuket ? Did you just change the muffler part where the bolts are, or did you do the whole exhaust? Did you have to make any carb setting or other changes and can I do the job myself? Your answers are very much appreciated. Thank you.

my exhuast started like this after about 6 months too.. after a year it looked terrible like stone chips with rust on them.. ended up geting a stainless race one.

Hi Phobic. Let me tell yopu about a very unfruitful day yesterday. Visited all the Honda shops on Phuket to be told it is either a very small problem, no they don't have stock, can only use the same exhaust that the bike came out withor no they don't supply exhausts for CBR 150, or no they do not have a waranty. The waranty only applies to the engine, nothing else. What a load of sh one t. hel_l it could be worse, I could be looking for the new CBR 150 FI model, which BTW nobody can tell me when it is ariving in Phuket, let alone Thailand, but I did see a yellow CBR in Trang recently on my trip to Hat Yai? Guess I just get lost in the conversations and translations.Do you know if that chrome bit is just a cover which can be removed or is it an integral part of the muffler ? Thank you for your answers?

Hi Phobic. Let me tell yopu about a very unfruitful day yesterday. Visited all the Honda shops on Phuket to be told it is either a very small problem, no they don't have stock, can only use the same exhaust that the bike came out withor no they don't supply exhausts for CBR 150, or no they do not have a waranty. The waranty only applies to the engine, nothing else. What a load of sh one t. hel_l it could be worse, I could be looking for the new CBR 150 FI model, which BTW nobody can tell me when it is ariving in Phuket, let alone Thailand, but I did see a yellow CBR in Trang recently on my trip to Hat Yai? Guess I just get lost in the conversations and translations.Do you know if that chrome bit is just a cover which can be removed or is it an integral part of the muffler ? Thank you for your answers?

Well that sounds like a normal day trying to get service from Honda dealers ( at least from my experience ). You might try to get ahold of the part number of the exhaust can and just go into parts shop ( can be a somchai shop ) and tell them you want to order this part from honda and you have the part number. Chances are big that you might end up paying a few hundred extra baht but at least you get what you wanted.

I guess they bend the rules to their favor in the warranty case, I didnt have any problems with that though. That yellow one is a older color theme on the CBR. You can probably remove the chrome thing on the can but you need to get something ( dont have any better explaination..) to hold it together with the footpeg.

I've been reading this thread (and are still reading them, now at page 22) and got a lot of information/knowledge from here. Btw, this is a very famous thread with a lot of other forums referring here.

Kudos and thanks to all that have contributed to the community.

Hi Phobic, yes I was thinking of just replacing the chrome on the can with stainless steel, that may well work. I will chat with a friend of mine today and see if that is possible, as the rest of the can is fine. Thanks for your help and answer. :)

Well that sounds like a normal day trying to get service from Honda dealers ( at least from my experience ). You might try to get ahold of the part number of the exhaust can and just go into parts shop ( can be a somchai shop ) and tell them you want to order this part from honda and you have the part number. Chances are big that you might end up paying a few hundred extra baht but at least you get what you wanted.

I guess they bend the rules to their favor in the warranty case, I didnt have any problems with that though. That yellow one is a older color theme on the CBR. You can probably remove the chrome thing on the can but you need to get something ( dont have any better explaination..) to hold it together with the footpeg.

Reduced 75%

800 x 646 (214.17K)

If you find a shop in CM can you post the name and location.

I have a downpipe from a full exhaust system i want welded/attached to a stock muffler (not on a CBR).

The downpipe may need to be cut or bent to fit, as it was not meant to be attached to the stock muffler.

thanks.

jbeck... Haven't been there yet, but the shop my buddies recommend highly is not far from the moat down Assadathorn Road. (You take a left at the outside moat corner rather than right toward Tapae Gate.)

A short way down that road you have to take a left, just before a very small and very smelly canal. Down that road you will see the shop on the left. Apparently it does not look like much, but the work they do is good. I am headed there next week. Friend had a custom pipe made there essentially as he waited and it turned out well.

Ok, went back to the very first page and started reading posts. That was about an hour and a half ago, and still can't find what I'm looking for.

Headlights on CBR are NOT that good at night, and I'd like to find something better. Tried xenon, 2 different sets, but that didn't help matters. Someone said there was a thread on here about someone who found a better or bigger bulb that works, but after 90 minutes of reading, I can't find it, and my eyes are getting blurry now. lol.

So, if anyone can tell me about a bigger, brighter, better bulb for the headlights, you'll have my enternal gratitude.

I dont know about the bulbs, but i agree the lights could have been better!

This might interest you Projector bulbs and use google translate if you cant read thai. Not sure about the improvement as i have not tried them.

peace

Don't just put a bigger headlight bulb in your cbr-150, the Honda dealer did that with mine. The result was a light that was blinding to on-coming traffic causing them to frequently flash or turn on their high-beams in retaliation.

• 3 weeks later...

I have read all this thread but cannot remember where the bit about the best tyres is, so forgive me for asking what has prrrobably been asked already.

Somewhere PB mentioned how good his Dunlop TT900 100.80.17 was on the front, but what can you put on the back?

Dunlop dont make a 110 or 120 unless you chose a GT401.

My mechanic here in Chiang Rai only has access to Dunlop.

I want a tyre that has grip and is good in the wet.

Look forward to all helpful suggestions.

Also, it would see that the CBR is the "bike of choice" for the collection agents of the loan sharks. I live near BoSang, and there are at least 3 CBRs here that are used by the "collectors", 1 black, 1 blue, 1 red. You can always spot them and know who they are by the clothes they wear - brown work shoes, brown pants, matching brown jacket. My wife said she went into C.M. on Wednesday and saw a group of about 10 CBRs and their loan shark drivers. She said most were dressed in the brown, but a few were dressed in matching dark blue. So who says Thai don't like the CBR? HAHAHA

You got that right! I know a pair of these guys and always get the high five when we run across each other. Behind those smiles, not dudes to mess with though.....

I put a Dunlop TT900 on the front, 10 mm wider than the stock IRC. Don't recall what is available for the rear.

Does that mean you kept the stock IRC on the rear?

I don't wanna mix 'n match

I think I remember reading in one of he posts here, that IRC have a "sport" version of their tyres now.....more grippy compound and available in the "one size up" 90 front and 110 rear for the CBR 150

Has anyone tried them?

I am in the "looking" stage of what replacement tyres to put on my bike. The original IRC have done 30,000 km now and getting close to my safety zone. (probably good for another 20,000 for a Thai driver tho hehe)

I also remember reading about Pilot Sporties being great....but lasting 7000km .... only 2 months driving for me, I cant see me replacing every 2 months!!

Pirreli is the other alternative for a full set "one size up" from stock.

I put a Dunlop TT900 on the front, 10 mm wider than the stock IRC. Don't recall what is available for the rear.

Does that mean you kept the stock IRC on the rear?

I don't wanna mix 'n match

I think I remember reading in one of he posts here, that IRC have a "sport" version of their tyres now.....more grippy compound and available in the "one size up" 90 front and 110 rear for the CBR 150

Has anyone tried them?

I am in the "looking" stage of what replacement tyres to put on my bike. The original IRC have done 30,000 km now and getting close to my safety zone. (probably good for another 20,000 for a Thai driver tho hehe)

I also remember reading about Pilot Sporties being great....but lasting 7000km .... only 2 months driving for me, I cant see me replacing every 2 months!!

Pirreli is the other alternative for a full set "one size up" from stock.

I've gone through 3 Pilot Sporty's on the rear at this point and am headed toward Bridgestone. Although a lot better than the IRC tires, the Pilot tires are not super "grippy", if that is a technical term. I don't mind the rear spinning out at intersections but when the front tire does its slide on curves that really gets my attention. Also, they seem to have no resistance to punctures as I have had a several flats which is always inconvenient. The Pilots are okay, much better than the IRC tires, and last about 5000-7000 Km. If I can find Battle Axe tires, I am going that way.