Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Well what a shame I have to reply to my own post, there was a time when the CBR forum was full of quick info and advice.

Anyhow I took my bike back to Honda and they discovered it was not a fuel problem at all. It seems I managed to tear the spark plug wire in the collision and it was not making a good connection. I guess I must have got my foot up in there somehow, that probably explains the double sprain on my foot.

I am motoring again, and still running the gasohol. And related to that, I noticed that they managed to use up half a tank of my gas repairing the bike

Well maybe no one had a reasonable answer to your problem.?? Good you got it sorted ok without too much drama. lesson for all of us also.

Re your missing gas........maybe the tank was drained to remove from the bike to aid in locating the problem?? Big temptation to top up the mechanics tank with your (rich Farang) fuel. Im sure it must happen often. Again a lesson for all of us...never leave your bike with a fullish tank. Doubtfull they used half a tank testing (joyriding) your bike...after all thats about 100km plus!

Edited by visions

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what a shame I have to reply to my own post, there was a time when the CBR forum was full of quick info and advice.

Anyhow I took my bike back to Honda and they discovered it was not a fuel problem at all. It seems I managed to tear the spark plug wire in the collision and it was not making a good connection. I guess I must have got my foot up in there somehow, that probably explains the double sprain on my foot.

I am motoring again, and still running the gasohol. And related to that, I noticed that they managed to use up half a tank of my gas repairing the bike

Well maybe no one had a reasonable answer to your problem.?? Good you got it sorted ok without too much drama. lesson for all of us also.

Re your missing gas........maybe the tank was drained to remove from the bike to aid in locating the problem?? Big temptation to top up the mechanics tank with your (rich Farang) fuel. Im sure it must happen often. Again a lesson for all of us...never leave your bike with a fullish tank. Doubtfull they used half a tank testing (joyriding) your bike...after all thats about 100km plus!

I hope their bike can take gasohol then :D

Tearing out onto Canal Road today my throttle stuck at almost full bore. Did it a few more times so off to the Honda shop. 32 baht later it is as light and as smooth as ever. Sure got my attention the first time I let off and the bike kept accelerating.

Decisions - Decisions :annoyed:

Ok, had a CBR 150, and loved it except for 3 things.

1) Headlight at night totally sucked.

2) Going over 110 kph, unless practically laying on the gas tank, felt like I was going to be blown off any second.

3) Tires, especially rear, were way too hard. Ok, I could have fixed this by changing them, I admit.

Anyway, sold mind after 18 months to wife's cousin, who made me a very good offer, with the intentions of seeing what Honda was going to come out with next. Still waiting, of course. Two people at the Honda Dealership on Huay Kaew Road swear up and down a new CBR 150 is "coming soon", and in a reply I got from APHONDA of Thailand, they stated they stopped the CBR in Thailand because all Honda bikes now sold in LOS have to be F/I, and that "a new model is coming soon". As to what the "new model" is, I have no idea. So......I'm waiting.

In the meantime, rented a Ninja 250 for a day and had a blast!!!! Even at 120kph you don't get the buffeting from the wind the way you do on a CBR, and because it's much heavier, it is much more stable at high speeds as well. Granted, it's not as nimble as the CBR in city traffic, but I can live with that.

But I'm going to give Honda a chance and see what they come out with. Rumors keep saying September (which is almost over now), or November for the "new model" that will replace the old CBR 150. If it's a new CBR 150 F/I, or CBR 250, I'll go with that. Or the VTR 250, but ONLY if they put the fairings back on like the original "Interceptor". If not, then more than likely, come January, I'm going with the Ninja 250.

Side note to T_Dog....when are you and misses coming for dinner??? :rolleyes:

Decisions - Decisions :annoyed:

Ok, had a CBR 150, and loved it except for 3 things.

1) Headlight at night totally sucked.

2) Going over 110 kph, unless practically laying on the gas tank, felt like I was going to be blown off any second.

3) Tires, especially rear, were way too hard. Ok, I could have fixed this by changing them, I admit.

Anyway, sold mind after 18 months to wife's cousin, who made me a very good offer, with the intentions of seeing what Honda was going to come out with next. Still waiting, of course. Two people at the Honda Dealership on Huay Kaew Road swear up and down a new CBR 150 is "coming soon", and in a reply I got from APHONDA of Thailand, they stated they stopped the CBR in Thailand because all Honda bikes now sold in LOS have to be F/I, and that "a new model is coming soon". As to what the "new model" is, I have no idea. So......I'm waiting.

In the meantime, rented a Ninja 250 for a day and had a blast!!!! Even at 120kph you don't get the buffeting from the wind the way you do on a CBR, and because it's much heavier, it is much more stable at high speeds as well. Granted, it's not as nimble as the CBR in city traffic, but I can live with that.

But I'm going to give Honda a chance and see what they come out with. Rumors keep saying September (which is almost over now), or November for the "new model" that will replace the old CBR 150. If it's a new CBR 150 F/I, or CBR 250, I'll go with that. Or the VTR 250, but ONLY if they put the fairings back on like the original "Interceptor". If not, then more than likely, come January, I'm going with the Ninja 250.

Side note to T_Dog....when are you and misses coming for dinner??? :rolleyes:

Argggh! We've had our hands full with visitors, Dengue Fever, and traveling up North. Next week might be a winner! Need to get my sticky throttle cable replaced though. Thought it was fixed but it stuck again today several times. Very dangerous. Tore into it myself and it binds up right in the middle section of the cable where it crosses near the cylinder head. Probably a heat related issue and I'll take it apart once I get the new cable in place.

Ok, in The Nation there is an article about a CBR 150i, with a link to a web site, which apparently sponsored by APHonda, which is the manufacturer of Honda motorbikes in Thailand. The first link is the one all in Thai, and the second is a translation, but the translation doesn't seem to make much sense.

Could this be the "replacement" for the CBR 150R???

http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php?topic=20793.0

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=th&tl=en&u=http://www.cbr150club.com/board/index.php&rurl=translate.google.com

Thread is running already.

Funnily enough with those two links in the OP.

Which is also linked to the Nation website, and is on the front page.

It didn't have thaivisa.com/forum in the title when you clicked on it by any chance. :D

Edited by thomo

Finally got my throttle cable replaced and no more stuck throttle above 8000 RPM. If anyone experiences any funky throttle response, just replace the cable as it is only 120 baht. It only almost killed me a few times!

It failed in a strange way right in the center of the cable where it passes near the hot cylinder head. There was white corrosion on both sides of what looked like carbon or some burned material. It must have come from the white teflon liner that separates the stranded stainless steel core from the spiral steel housing. Time and heat must have caused the oxidation to occur. Some photos in case you are curious are below. The two layers of plastic and rubber on the spiral steel housing where just fine where this effect occurred, and the stainless steel core was shiny and fine out towards the ends.

post-498-083004600 1285511298_thumb.jpg

post-498-035285100 1285511404_thumb.jpg

post-498-028823000 1285511567_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi cbr'lers

Just got myself a second hand 08 model cbr150 around 1k on the clock quite good in shape. Driving around a week now, first clutched bike, getting the feeling for it and of course faster. But now i recognized something must be wrong, also i compared with some of the posts here. So the thing is thats the gears feel like quite limited changing gear at like 13k rpm, bike is getting noisy its like that

1st... 15km/h

2nd.. 30km/h

3rd... 45km/h

4th... 60km/h

5th... 85km/h

6th... 110km/h

not gone further cause bike is getting quite noise and shaky, bike have a unlimited cdi and racing spring set, no other mods. Any ideas what wrong here?

Hi cbr'lers

Just got myself a second hand 08 model cbr150 around 1k on the clock quite good in shape. Driving around a week now, first clutched bike, getting the feeling for it and of course faster. But now i recognized something must be wrong, also i compared with some of the posts here. So the thing is thats the gears feel like quite limited changing gear at like 13k rpm, bike is getting noisy its like that

1st... 15km/h

2nd.. 30km/h

3rd... 45km/h

4th... 60km/h

5th... 85km/h

6th... 110km/h

not gone further cause bike is getting quite noise and shaky, bike have a unlimited cdi and racing spring set, no other mods. Any ideas what wrong here?

Ummh, you can't ignore physics.

Let me explain. First go in to the bathroom. Hold you arm at your side and lift the right hand up so that your arm makes an "L". Move your hand inwards toward your left side and back outwards as fast as you can. Bet you can do it faster than 5 times (where each time is to the left and right) a second. Now think of your CBR doing that 200 times in a second when you're revving it to 12 000 RPM. You think it's going to be nice and smooth?

The reason you're not going that fast is most likely the fact that you have aftermarket sprockets on. IIRC the stock front is 15 and rear is 44. If they went to a sprocket with fewer teeth on the front (like 13 or 14) and more on the back (like 46-48) it would cause what you're describing. However, reverting back to stock gearing will mean that the bike won't get up to speed as quickly as current.

Oh, and by the way the reason I told you to go to the bathroom is that people didn't look at you like you are baa when you do that little experiment.

thanks dave for that hint. So i will check the sprockets of my bike, what i still wound is that the cbr should go faster even with the changed sprockets? Or is it going to be fine when i change back to the original ones?

i am off for the experiment in the bathroom :)

Canuckamuck, bike has another meter so there is no redline, but yes the speeds are when i am up to 12-13k rpm. So it the 6th i can go like 110 at like 13k thats all..... there should be more isn't it?. I might follow your advice and bring it to a mechanic.

Edited by Hili

thanks dave for that hint. So i will check the sprockets of my bike, what i still wound is that the cbr should go faster even with the changed sprockets? Or is it going to be fine when i change back to the original ones?

i am off for the experiment in the bathroom :)

Canuckamuck, bike has another meter so there is no redline, but yes the speeds are when i am up to 12-13k rpm. So it the 6th i can go like 110 at like 13k thats all..... there should be more isn't it?. I might follow your advice and bring it to a mechanic.

Yes, your bike will have a higher top speed. How quickly it gets there though will also be affected in that it should take more time.

Getting the right gearing, especially for a small bike like ours, is more a matter of art than science. So many things affect what is the 'perfect' gearing. To really get off the line without bogging down you need plenty of torque which is afforded by the gearing that adversely affects your top speed. Add in the desire to cruise in 6th at the lowest RPM possible and it's often easy to end up with gearing that you go faster in 5th than 6th with the throttle pinned. If you look at a dyno graph you'll see that torque falls of fairly quickly at high RPMs. Your mass (used in the sense of disturbance to air flow around and over the bike) also increases exponentially at speed. Add those last two sentences together and you'll see why the last owner probably made the changes they did; I'd be willing to bet the bike was pretty much exclusively used in town by them.

Dave.

Ok, according to another forum, AP Honda is going to have a big "too do" at Huamark Stadium on the 30th to show the new CBRi, and SUPPOSEDLY (according to one dealer I've spoke to, as well as others), a new CBR 250 as well, which will be released AFTER the 150. Truth or rumor about the 250 is anyone's guess. BUT, if they do bring the 250 back, and have one with this paint scheme, I'll take it. If no 250, then I'm going for the Ninja 250, but I'll give Honda first shot, at least till January. After that, Hello Kawasaki.

:jap:

Don't get me wrong. I loved my 150, EXCEPT for the headlights which were about as good as a large flashlight at night, and once you hit 110+, it just didn't seem all that stable with the wind resistance. I want to do some traveling in the next 6 months or so. C.M to BKK, to Udon, Khon Kaen, Chiang Rai, etc, and feel that a 250 would be a more stable bike on the highways.

Forget the Tiger Boxer, it's not as fast as the CBR 150 and I hate the "upright" riding position. So, if Honda doesn't come out with a 250 CBR, or a 150 that just knocks my socks off, I'm going with the Ninja.

Not so long to wait and find out for real what it is going to be .......30th Oct for the CBR 150 I

Whether the 250 is just a re-engined 150 will remain a mystery maybe a little longer. Hopefully not. Presumably it will be the single pot 250 re-worked for a sports bike with different cams timeing electronic mapping etc.

Just maybe it could be the VTR 250 twin. The biggest question tho will be what gearbox? Both Honda's 250 engines currently use a 5 speed......would Honda tool up to add a six speed to those engines?

The Moto GP 125 2 smokers are being replaced by single cyl 250 4 strokes and be capable of in excess of 200kph so dont knock the possible performance capabilities of a single pot engine. Of course tuned to a higher level than what we could possible buy in a stock street bike, but point is, the block and piston assembly etc is the basic starting point, you can vary the state of tuning from there.

Honda has Im sure, more marketing sense than to pit an inferior bike against the Kwaker 250. on all points, performance style, price etc.

Dave.

Ok, according to another forum, AP Honda is going to have a big "too do" at Huamark Stadium on the 30th to show the new CBRi, and SUPPOSEDLY (according to one dealer I've spoke to, as well as others), a new CBR 250 as well, which will be released AFTER the 150. Truth or rumor about the 250 is anyone's guess. BUT, if they do bring the 250 back, and have one with this paint scheme, I'll take it. If no 250, then I'm going for the Ninja 250, but I'll give Honda first shot, at least till January. After that, Hello Kawasaki.

:jap:

Don't get me wrong. I loved my 150, EXCEPT for the headlights which were about as good as a large flashlight at night, and once you hit 110+, it just didn't seem all that stable with the wind resistance. I want to do some traveling in the next 6 months or so. C.M to BKK, to Udon, Khon Kaen, Chiang Rai, etc, and feel that a 250 would be a more stable bike on the highways.

Forget the Tiger Boxer, it's not as fast as the CBR 150 and I hate the "upright" riding position. So, if Honda doesn't come out with a 250 CBR, or a 150 that just knocks my socks off, I'm going with the Ninja.

In the other thread here on TV Richard posted a flyer that essentially confirms the shindig. I'm not sold on that paint scheme though.

Perhaps you need some more weight to help the stability problem (I have enough to spare--if you need any)? I never noticed any instability on my rides. Agree with you about the stock lights but those are easily upgraded. I also share your feelings on the Boxer; I'm not a big fan of singles, especially larger ones, and that's why I'm hoping g-d listens when I tell her to not allow the alleged CBR 250 to come as one.

Not so long to wait and find out for real what it is going to be .......30th Oct for the CBR 150 I

Whether the 250 is just a re-engined 150 will remain a mystery maybe a little longer. Hopefully not. Presumably it will be the single pot 250 re-worked for a sports bike with different cams timeing electronic mapping etc.

Just maybe it could be the VTR 250 twin. The biggest question tho will be what gearbox? Both Honda's 250 engines currently use a 5 speed......would Honda tool up to add a six speed to those engines?

The Moto GP 125 2 smokers are being replaced by single cyl 250 4 strokes and be capable of in excess of 200kph so dont knock the possible performance capabilities of a single pot engine. Of course tuned to a higher level than what we could possible buy in a stock street bike, but point is, the block and piston assembly etc is the basic starting point, you can vary the state of tuning from there.

Honda has Im sure, more marketing sense than to pit an inferior bike against the Kwaker 250. on all points, performance style, price etc.

Those 250 MotoGP bikes wouldn't be much fun to run down to the corner "7" on either, much less in BKK traffic.

Those 250 MotoGP bikes wouldn't be much fun to run down to the corner "7" on either, much less in BKK traffic.

Oh sure, I agree 100% on that.

Point I was making is that it depoends on the tuning of the engine as to performance capabilities, in reference to the comment about the single pot Honda 250 being a motocross engine.

As I mentioned I am curious as to what gearbox will be used (5 or 6 speed) more than the engine performance capabilities.

But then again.......perhaps Honda has a brand new motor/gearbox ready for production???? We can but wait and see. We are all guessing/dreaming at this point in time.

I dont believe Honda would market any new bike that doesnt at least "match it" with what else is on the market globaly......Thailand is insignificant in market numbers so it wont be designed soley for this market thats for sure.

Again its wait and see...............

Dave,

Thanks for the offer of the weight. Couple of years ago I developed a medical conditions that caused me to drop about 25 pounds, and it's been hel_l trying to get it back. 155 to 130 in about 2 months. And Thai food, at least for me, is not known for being the stuff for putting on weight.

But that is also why I want a heavier, more stable bike at speeds of 110+. On another web forum there is actually a number you can send an SMS +your name and get your invitation to come to the event at the stadium. For sure there will be a new CBR 150i. I'm assuming the "i" stands for "injected". Doing a search I found some pics of it, but don't know if they are recent or old. I like the looks, but it also looks like it would weigh even less than the last CBR 150, and that's a drawback for me.

For in-town driving, I can always use my son's new Nouvo Elegance, or even my wife's new customized Scoopy, which is actually a fun little bike to zip around on. But for me, personally, I want something I can hop on and drive to BKK or anywhere else, get there in a hurry if I want, and have fun doing it. A CBR 400 would be even better, but that's a little out of my budget range for now.

Anyway, I'll give Honda till January to see what the come up with. If nothing like like, I'll go with the Ninja. Actually, my wife is hoping they come with the 250 CBR with the yellow/black paint scheme. She LOVES it. lol

post-82655-048977700 1286324454_thumb.jp

To Hili:

Take your bike to a Honda dealership, have them clean the carb, change the oil, put in a new airfilter and sparkplug. Basically a service. It will be under 500b.

The CBR is a small bike, it's going to get shaky in the redline.

To add: Just took mine out for a 300km run today. Cruising at 100kph at 7000rpm, 110kph at 8000rpm. Bike feels a lot smoother and stable at 7000rpm and 100kph though, so that's what I cruise at. Aren't really into speed anyway, but pull back and you'll be up over 120kph rather quickly. Wouldn't fancy cruising on a little cbr150 at 120kph or over though.

But redlining in 6th at 110kph, something is wrong with the bike somewhere mate. You should be able to redline in 4th at 110kph.

hi thomo,

thanks for the advice, yes i will take it to a honda mechanic as soon i get some parts which i ordered. I do also think something is wrong and will start with the points you mentioned (cleaning carb.... etc). Another point is what dave mentioned before that the previous owner changed the front sprocket to 14T for sure thats not the only reason but i will change it back to stock do the other points and then hopefully it'll be back to normal!

Hili

No worries. Could be something very small and simple. Something might be blocking something - air, gas etc. Thais aren't known for maintaining their bikes and usually wait for something to completely break before spending 120b on it. :blink:

A good service/clean, and the original sprocket size should see you well.

I got a new chain and sprockets a few months back at the Honda dealer, got the DID for 1,900b, but they had the cheap copy ones for like 700b for the set, so the front sprocket change isn't going to cost too much.

but last November I

No worries. Could be something very small and simple. Something might be blocking something - air, gas etc. Thais aren't known for maintaining their bikes and usually wait for something to completely break before spending 120b on it. :blink:

I got a new chain and sprockets a few months back at the Honda dealer, got the DID for 1,900b, but they had the cheap copy ones for like 700b for the set, so the front sprocket change isn't going to cost too much.

I need a new chain on my bike now, was quoted 2350 for genuine Honda replacement. ( Its my second in 42,000km in one year)

On my previous 150 I tried a cheapy chain and it lasted about a month!! very false economy.

I was tipped off a bike ,luckily at only about 40kph, when a chain let go several years ago so Im very wary of riding with an ill-adjusted or worn chain now.

but last November I

I need a new chain on my bike now, was quoted 2350 for genuine Honda replacement. ( Its my second in 42,000km in one year)

On my previous 150 I tried a cheapy chain and it lasted about a month!! very false economy.

I was tipped off a bike ,luckily at only about 40kph, when a chain let go several years ago so Im very wary of riding with an ill-adjusted or worn chain now.

How do you get tipped off a bike when a chain fails? :blink: Did it wrap around your leg?

but last November I

How do you get tipped off a bike when a chain fails? :blink: Did it wrap around your leg?

More likely it got wrapped up around the rear sprocket....

In the other thread here on TV Richard posted a flyer that essentially confirms the shindig. I'm not sold on that paint scheme though.

I indeed posted a flyer that confirms the event, but the event is maybe not what everybody expect. I hope that everybody going loves the Honda Scoopy-i and live Thai music.

The party announced on the flyer is the anniversary party for the Honda Scoopy-i, and is supported and sponsored by Thai tourist Authority. Will they introduce new motorcycles? Who knows...maybe we will also see some new colors for the Scoopy-i