Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

Jim: What is your opinion of the air filter? Can you feel the increase in power? a lot? a little?

I will get one when I get to Bangkok.

I think once you exchange the exhaust you will realize more benefit from the air filter because then all that extra air will have somewhere to go.

I am not sure about the carb though. My next step after exhaust would be the CDI. After that you should be reaching the logical potential of the bike unless you begin altering gear ratios or sprockets.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I am not a mechanic.

In fact I think your top speed will not increase much because the redline is still where it always was. You will simply go faster sooner. But I'm all for that.

Yeah the uprated air-filter gives off a modest boost in speed and acceleration.

Not sure on the increased top end speed as I've not taken it out for a blazin' speed test with the new mod, but i reckon it will.

Prior to the new air-filter I got about 140ish (kph) out of it.

A performance exhaust (endurance brand) costs about 4000 baht (ish). Next time I'm back in Thailand I'll be getting one of those babies :o

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a plan...upgrade airfilter, then put an Endurance exhaust on..that way you're getting more flow in and out of the engine. Then, if it's still not making a difference, look at a thirstier carb and a new CDI.

These appear to be the four main suggestions that people on this forum are making with regard to increased performance. Is there anything else that should be noted? Nitrous oxide, bolt-on turbo..... :o

I guess the rebore kits should also be mentioned...I saw somewhere on TV that someone was claiming a top speed of 170km/h for their very upgraded CBR (all of the above and perhaps more) Is this realistic? What is the main factor in this speed/power inrease?

Has anyone replaced the lamps in the Instrument Cluster of the CBR150? My cool red glow has diminished to a lop-sided dim ember! I took a look at the Instrument Cluster today (without removing it from the bike) and I could not see any externally replaceable bulbs. I guess I can always have the Honda shop fix it, but curious if anyone has been down this road themselves.

Has anyone replaced the lamps in the Instrument Cluster of the CBR150? My cool red glow has diminished to a lop-sided dim ember! I took a look at the Instrument Cluster today (without removing it from the bike) and I could not see any externally replaceable bulbs. I guess I can always have the Honda shop fix it, but curious if anyone has been down this road themselves.

I had to replace mine (2006) model, but I took the easy and used the local shop. This was back in March(ish), and was very cheap. He had to remove a couple of panels and pull the panel, but for not knowing what he was doing (on a CBR) it didn't take too long.

I had to replace mine (2006) model, but I took the easy and used the local shop. This was back in March(ish), and was very cheap. He had to remove a couple of panels and pull the panel, but for not knowing what he was doing (on a CBR) it didn't take too long.

Same here just older bike

Looks like there will a nice CBR150 for sale soon in Chiang Mai. One of my riding buddies just showed up with a Yamaha R6 and he is selling his CBR to pay for, well, about half of his registration. The R6 sure is a beautiful bike, but my CBR looked just as proud next to it!

Let the modifications begin.

Starting with a nice set of apehangers no doubt, enjoy!

Was thinking of a pipe, 28mm carb, coil-plug wire combo, CDI, and K&N air filter

Now that you mention it, a nice set of apes may be the dogs <deleted>.

After hearing all the fun raving about CBR-150's, Hogfather has just bought the smallest bike of his life and it should be here this week.

Let the modifications begin.

Hogpop: What color is it? And where do you ride? You will definately enjoy it. I rode a 750F back in the USA, and the CBR150 is more fun I think. I just wish it sounded the same as those old SOHC engines. Half the weight though so it performs well. Just got back from a 300 KM jaunt and it was all smiles except for one close call when I was overhauled by a car doing about 200 KM. I thought I was alone on the road from Prao to MaeTaeng so I got lazy about the rear view mirror. Be careful out there!

I have a R-1150-RT and a hot rodded Dyna Sport but wanted a little bike for zooming around town and parking where I damm well please. I glorified scooter just wont do, so the CBR it is. It looks like fun and time will tell, but I am concerned that it will be too gutless hence the new parts on order.

Penis envy red of course

I have a R-1150-RT and a hot rodded Dyna Sport but wanted a little bike for zooming around town and parking where I damm well please. I glorified scooter just wont do, so the CBR it is. It looks like fun and time will tell, but I am concerned that it will be too gutless hence the new parts on order.

Penis envy red of course

Let us know if the mods make a noticeable difference.

After hearing all the fun raving about CBR-150's, Hogfather has just bought the smallest bike of his life and it should be here this week.

There is nothing in the world like riding a really big bike fast and hard on the open road but for practical day to day riding in Thailand the CBR150 is the way to go in my opinion. It is not a powerful bike by any stretch of the imagination but is a cheap and reliable ride. I would never consider buying one back in Oz where the smallest road legal bike is 250cc and my standard ride was bigger than 1,000cc for daily riding.

Enjoy the bike

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I should start a separate thread for this, but here goes?

CHAIN INSIDE THE ENGINE: after 50,700 km (I think I'm the high mileage guy in this club), my boyfriend thinks he hears a loose drive chain inside the engine. It may have automatic chain tensioner, but that can only last so long. Does anybody know if it should be replaced every 50K km or every 250K km? Is there some window or door to open to check the cam-chain slackness?

///added: my partner tells me he was a bike mechanic 20 years ago, so maybe he knows these things!!///

CHAIN INSIDE THE ENGINE: after 50,700 km (I think I'm the high mileage guy in this club), my boyfriend thinks he hears a loose drive chain inside the engine. It may have automatic chain tensioner, but that can only last so long. Does anybody know if it should be replaced every 50K km or every 250K km? Is there some window or door to open to check the cam-chain slackness?

///added: my partner tells me he was a bike mechanic 20 years ago, so maybe he knows these things!!///

Make sure you keep us updated with pictures....I'm only at 1/6th of your mileage (kilometerage?), but information is power. POWER TO THE PEOPLE MAN! :o

PB, I found this earlier post by Richard-BKK. quote

Advantages to having a DOHC engine over a SOHC is that the engine has twice as many intake and exhaust valves as a SOHC motor. (Main difference between CBR-125 and CBR-150, 2-valves or 4-valves) This makes the engine run cooler and more smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. But the downfall is that DOHC engines cost more for repairs. To ensure against expensive engine repairs, make sure you change your engine's timing chain about every 60,000 miles. (In both the CBR125 and CBR150 the camshaft is powered by a chain system)

This post has been edited by Richard-BKK: 2008-01-26 21:51:44

PB, I found this earlier post by Richard-BKK. quote

Advantages to having a DOHC engine over a SOHC is that the engine has twice as many intake and exhaust valves as a SOHC motor. (Main difference between CBR-125 and CBR-150, 2-valves or 4-valves) This makes the engine run cooler and more smoothly, quietly, and efficiently. But the downfall is that DOHC engines cost more for repairs. To ensure against expensive engine repairs, make sure you change your engine's timing chain about every 60,000 miles. (In both the CBR125 and CBR150 the camshaft is powered by a chain system)

This post has been edited by Richard-BKK: 2008-01-26 21:51:44

That's 96 000 KM if anyone's interested.

I'd be interested in pictures....does the CBR 150R run both cams off a single chain like a big T-Bone steak? Or is it a single drive chain with a smaller chain connecting the two? Or even a fancy pants gearing system? Someone take pictures!!

Whats this ,,,an owners club without a workshop manual between them..tut tut :o

Had the wife call Niyon Panich the other day to ask about a shop manual and all I could get is the usual mai mee, and no interest in ordering me one.

In fact the dolt could not even tell me what kind of oil to use other than multigrade and the one with the gold top is better. I will be wrenching it myself if this is the level of expertise available, and will look a bit harder for the manual.

OTOH, it is a new Honda and unlikely to need much fixing unless my mods overstress its little heart.

• 2 weeks later...

NEW FRONT TIRE for the CBR150R, just put on today. DUNLOP TT100, size 90/80x17. Very responsive, smoother riding than my very worn front tire was. I guess we went 51,350 km on the OE tire from the factory, five years ago.

The original was 80/90, so this one has wider profile, lower profile, and fits inside the wheel well just fine. When I learn into a turn, this Dunlop is far more responsive, just tucks in on a hint, without losing control.

More expensive: 1150 baht, but worth it. Neat yellow 'Dunlop' paint on the right side, and TT100 in red. The IRC was all black.

We live in Chiang Mai, and found it in stock at Prida, Chiang Moi Road.

But I won't know full well for a while yet, how much better this one handles. So far, a big improvement.

NEW FRONT TIRE for the CBR150R, just put on today. DUNLOP TT100, size 90/80x17. Very responsive, smoother riding than my very worn front tire was. I guess we went 51,350 km on the OE tire from the factory, five years ago.

The original was 80/90, so this one has wider profile, lower profile, and fits inside the wheel well just fine. When I learn into a turn, this Dunlop is far more responsive, just tucks in on a hint, without losing control.

More expensive: 1150 baht, but worth it. Neat yellow 'Dunlop' paint on the right side, and TT100 in red. The IRC was all black.

We live in Chiang Mai, and found it in stock at Prida, Chiang Moi Road.

But I won't know full well for a while yet, how much better this one handles. So far, a big improvement.

I'm so hating you right now. It appears that Chiang Mai has all of the 'good' CBR stuff. The only thing I can get locally is a 'modify' Sonic muffler--which sounds like a Somchai went to town on the internals with a drill. And don't even get me started on tires. They all looked at me askance when I was going around looking to buy a gauge; the Honda dealership was so helpful they put more air in the tires even though they were rock hard. That's why I don't like my wife messing with my bike! I found one place in Nakhon Sawan that had a tire gauge---it was one of those cheap jobbies you wouldn't pay more than $3 in the States for; and the propreitor of the shop wanted 400 Bhat for it! Must have had some sentimental value. Anyways, come July-ish, I'll be up in Chiang Mai and would appreciate a guide on where you're finding these parts.

PeaceBlondie

That Dunlop TT100 is a tube tire, which is why I passed on them when it was time for new rubber.

I felt that although tube-tires are tried and true, why go backwards in technology.

I was tempted though as i would rather be riding on name-brand.

PeaceBlondie

That Dunlop TT100 is a tube tire, which is why I passed on them when it was time for new rubber.

I felt that although tube-tires are tried and true, why go backwards in technology.

It plainly says on the tire, in plain English, TUBELESS Made in Thailand. The valve stem looks like a stem for a tubless tire, too. I can only assume you were told wrong (we were originally told the CBR150 came with radials!), or Dunlop started making them in tubless since you were told.

My initial impression of the handling was an understatement. I have never noticed a more drastic improvement in handling by a tire. It rides much more smoothly, so it's not overinflated, and it just tucks in. I made four trips on the serpentine klong road, and it handles much better.

PeaceBlondie

It plainly says on the tire, in plain English, TUBELESS Made in Thailand. The valve stem looks like a stem for a tubless tire, too. I can only assume you were told wrong (we were originally told the CBR150 came with radials!), or Dunlop started making them in tubless since you were told.

My initial impression of the handling was an understatement. I have never noticed a more drastic improvement in handling by a tire. It rides much more smoothly, so it's not overinflated, and it just tucks in. I made four trips on the serpentine klong road, and it handles much better.

PeaceBlondie

Both myself and a friend spent a long time(+1 year) looking for Dunlops. Many false starts including searching for "made in Japan" Dunlops.

I think we kept being shown TT900's. They were definately tube tires.

I see now you refer to TT100's.

So I am happy for you that you have found these tires. And unhappy for me, as I have about 500 kilometers on new oem IRC's. :o

Was the rear tire size available?

Yes, my boyfriend said that Prida (on Chiang Moi Road in Chiang Mai) also had the TT100 in rear tire, in stock. Not sure what the size and price is for the rear tire.

This thread is amazing (and surely other threads have also featured CBR150R comments). Almost 300 posts and many thousand views.

I was going to check my gasoline consumption (which used to be 30 km per litre, consistently) but the tire got changed during the mileage check. I figure if the aspect ratio changed from 80/90 to 90/80, then the rolling radius, speedo error, and consumption are probably unchanged.

Yes, my boyfriend said that Prida (on Chiang Moi Road in Chiang Mai) also had the TT100 in rear tire, in stock. Not sure what the size and price is for the rear tire.

This thread is amazing (and surely other threads have also featured CBR150R comments). Almost 300 posts and many thousand views.

I was going to check my gasoline consumption (which used to be 30 km per litre, consistently) but the tire got changed during the mileage check. I figure if the aspect ratio changed from 80/90 to 90/80, then the rolling radius, speedo error, and consumption are probably unchanged.

And you're very correct. :o

PB: What was the price on the dunlops?

I hate that I have new rubber on the front and 10,000 K's on the back tire.

It would be a shame to toss them, but I feel like heading to Chiang Mai to get a set.

Yea verily, I dost covet thy Dunlops - alas :o