Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

My idle speed was too low. 1100 or so, kept dying at stop slights. So we just set it at 1,400. The choke works much better than the one on my old 2003 model.

///Correction: never adjust the idle on a cold engine. It set to 2,400 rpm. Later I stopped and put it below 2,000.

Good catch on when to adjust it. I have honestly never used the choke on my bike, in fact the plastic baggie thing rotted off due to me being lazy and never taking it off!

I wonder if since I'm at only ~75 meters above sea level that I can get away with having such a low idle? Have you ever thought about re-jetting your carb since Chiang Mai is so high?

I have no idea how high Chiang Mai is. Friends from the lower elevations of San Antonio, Texas were here last month, and they thought the wife had altitude sickness. I said no, we are just not that high here. You would think that if we were as high as Denver or Mexico City, the new bikes would be prepared by the dealer for local conditions. Even the best dealer in town was clueless about my carb problems and choke. We do have winter here - ambient morning temps of 12 C - and even 23 degrees calls for a little bit of choke, anywhere. My partner, a local guy, warned me to never use the choke except on cold winter mornings, but I ignored him.

Is it really a choke or an enricher, and does it matter? The new bike runs fine on choke when it is cold, for the first two km.

Over 600 posts on this thread now! prestburypark, welcome to the club. I had hoped the mirrors on the 2008 were better placed, but my eldbows still get in the way, slightly. Vibrations? Try riding a Harley.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no idea how high Chiang Mai is. Friends from the lower elevations of San Antonio, Texas were here last month, and they thought the wife had altitude sickness. I said no, we are just not that high here. You would think that if we were as high as Denver or Mexico City, the new bikes would be prepared by the dealer for local conditions. Even the best dealer in town was clueless about my carb problems and choke. We do have winter here - ambient morning temps of 12 C - and even 23 degrees calls for a little bit of choke, anywhere. My partner, a local guy, warned me to never use the choke except on cold winter mornings, but I ignored him.

Is it really a choke or an enricher, and does it matter? The new bike runs fine on choke when it is cold, for the first two km.

Over 600 posts on this thread now! prestburypark, welcome to the club. I had hoped the mirrors on the 2008 were better placed, but my eldbows still get in the way, slightly. Vibrations? Try riding a Harley.

Altitude is 310m according to Google. Supposedly that's only a 3% difference in air pressure. I found this link to be very helpful.

Choke is an enricher, but not all enrichers are chokes! I'm unsure of how the CBR does its enrichment. By restricting the amount of air entering the carb, it increases vaccum (the piston is still pumping away at 11.0/1, but the air is being sucked through a smaller opening).

None the less, unless it gets really cold, you're probably just wasting fuel using your carb, in addition to fouling your plug.

Dave about the mirrors all you do is when you look in it before overtaking tuck your elbow in.

first few times its weird but soon just second nature.

thats what i got taught on rider training in the Uk.

allan

Dave about the mirrors all you do is when you look in it before overtaking tuck your elbow in.

first few times its weird but soon just second nature.

thats what i got taught on rider training in the Uk.

allan

It's either that or a bobbing head.

prestbury i'm selling a brand new teknic mesh jacket sz48 red/black at the moment the thread is on here. let you have it for 3500 inc ems delivery if your in bangkok might be able to meet up.

its a nice jacket just a bit to small for me cos i've got a bit of a belly.

allan

That sounds ideal Allan, I am 5'11 and 90 Kilos, working on downsizing the belly, is that a 48 chest? Have to measure myself, willgo for it for sure if it will fit me,

Im not small but not a giant either, delivery sounds best as I wont be in Bkk for ages,I am Pattaya based,

pm sounds the way to do this? Cheers

I have one for sale, 9 months old and 45,000 baht

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Honda-150-Cb...le-t216342.html

I posted a link to your ad in the "What Bike Should I Get" thread. Hope that was cool (even though selling it makes baby Jesus cry....just ask our beloved moderator who went to theological school!)

Cheers mate, hopefully i will get some pictures up of it tomorrow.

Its a shame as its the best bike ive had, my girlfriend is giving birth in couple months so i need to sell the CBR 150... :o

Ok everybody no one has been talking in here much so.......

just did a chain and sprocket change on the CBR.

17 front and 44 rear.

and yes i hear you all say 'but the 44 is standard' well on mine i had a 38 (2nd hand bike) and BOY OH BOY OH BOY....................................................

this doesn't work well. :D

as i thought it would be 6th is now an overdrive gear max out at 120ish, theres not enough power to push it further. so i think i'm gonna try and get a 16t see what thats like.

The above was done with a stock exhaust cos the boys in brown didn't like the noise of the endurance muffler got a different one coming.

if i cant get a 16t will start playing with the rear. and sit and do some gearing math

so my sprocket collection so far is:

Front Rear

14t---15t---17t 38t----44t

ITS ALL GOOD CLEAN FUN :o

Edited by thaicbr

Ok everybody no one has been talking in here much so.......

just did a chain and sprocket change on the CBR.

17 front and 44 rear.

and yes i hear you all say 'but the 44 is standard' well on mine i had a 38 (2nd hand bike) and BOY OH BOY OH BOY....................................................

this doesn't work well. :D

as i thought it would be 6th is now an overdrive gear max out at 120ish, theres not enough power to push it further. so i think i'm gonna try and get a 16t see what thats like.

The above was done with a stock exhaust cos the boys in brown didn't like the noise of the endurance muffler got a different one coming.

if i cant get a 16t will start playing with the rear. and sit and do some gearing math

so my sprocket collection so far is:

Front Rear

14t---15t---17t 38t----44t

ITS ALL GOOD CLEAN FUN :o

According to my figures (all rest of bike stock),

[2.714]14/38 max speed 157 (what you said your bike came with)

[3.000]14/42 max speed 142

[3.143]14/44 max speed 136

[2.533]15/38 max speed 168

[2.800]15/42 max speed 152

[2.933]15/44 max speed 145 (supposed stock config)

[2.235]17/38 max speed 191 (what you attempted! pretty ballsy for a restricted 150cc)

[2.471]17/42 max speed 173

[2.588]17/44 max speed 165

You said that acceleration was good with the 14/38 set up. By going 17/38, you decreased your torque by some 18% compared to the setup when purchased. Assuming that the bike is putting out 17 BHP, that's like taking off some 4 HP off what's available on the 'stock' 15/44 setup! If I was going to recommend a set of sprockets, it would be the 17/44 or the 16/42. The ratios are good (2.588; 2.625) resulting in a mid-160's projected top speed (note the speeds talked about are actual and not indicated).

Maybe I am just a Cheap Charlie. in the several sprocket replacements I did on my old CBR, I never changed the ratios. I like having a top speed, indicated, of 142, and do not need more top speed. Nor do I want less. Nor do I want to get less km per liter.

///Clarification: I am not so much a Cheap Charlie, just because I passed up gearing changes when I had the chance. But on northern Thai highways, I doubt I ever hit 13,000 rpm in sixth gear. Too dangerous, And I like getting better gas consumption on E10 fuel than I used to get on benzene. I accept the CBR150 for what it is, stock.

Hello,

I've been living in Thailand for several years now, but living on Koh Tao where we don't need plates, regs, or green books. So I've got 7 bikes and not a one is legal. :o I am taking a job over in Khao Lak (near Phuket) for 6 months and would like to get a CBR150. If its a bit old, thats ok. I'd like to spend about 30,000thb. I've searched the sold bikes on the classifieds and it seems that 30,000+/- is a pretty feasable price. However, there were a few sold near Phuket, most currently for sale are elsewhere. Does anyone know about shipping a bike from BKK to Phuket? Is it even possible? As much as I'd LOVE that kind of road trip, my job here finishes on Oct 19, and the new one starts Oct 20 and I probably wont have two days off in-a-row until April. That said, if I find a CBR in BKK, is there anyone on the list who'd like to drive it down for a fee? I'd prefer to ship, but if all else fails....

Anyone on the list selling or know of a CBR for sale around Phuket?

Thanks,

-Rick

Hey gang, have the 95 octane fuel stations gone very low on the ground or are they still around?

I'm concerned with the dreaded carb. rot setting in if I start using the fuel with the 10/20% ethanol mix.

Anyone been have problems????

It's been through my tank (purchased '06) a couple of times with no ill affect. The manual does not say anything condemning nor promoting the usage of it.

nice one fridgemagnet the vee rubber tyres are still weeny little ones i think. can you get us some sizes (written on the side if the tyre).

what other stuff did this piston shop place have anything good.

dave i'm talking to top tmorro about what stuff he's got.

the rear service lifts are only 450 baht so getting one of them. will let you know more.

thanks allan

The sizes are 80/100 rear, 70/90 front. I don't know if these are smaller than the O.E. tyres, but apart from lowering the pose value,

they work brilliantly, which the originals did not- having next to no grip at all. If they are narrower they will reduce rolling resistance - increasing top speed and petrol consumption (probably not noticeably).

Piston shop had no other bits for a CBR that I saw - the bit I would like is the wider down tube for the exhaust, but I hesitate to change from standard, except w.r.t. handling improvements. Now that the tyres work I would like quicker steering.

Oh - - the standard tyres have a pattern of cuts on the front tyre that leads to uneven wear. This exaggerates the weaving effect that CBR's are prone to.

nice one fridgemagnet the vee rubber tyres are still weeny little ones i think. can you get us some sizes (written on the side if the tyre).

what other stuff did this piston shop place have anything good.

dave i'm talking to top tmorro about what stuff he's got.

the rear service lifts are only 450 baht so getting one of them. will let you know more.

thanks allan

The sizes are 80/100 rear, 70/90 front. I don't know if these are smaller than the O.E. tyres, but apart from lowering the pose value,

they work brilliantly, which the originals did not- having next to no grip at all. If they are narrower they will reduce rolling resistance - increasing top speed and petrol consumption (probably not noticeably).

Piston shop had no other bits for a CBR that I saw - the bit I would like is the wider down tube for the exhaust, but I hesitate to change from standard, except w.r.t. handling improvements. Now that the tyres work I would like quicker steering.

Oh - - the standard tyres have a pattern of cuts on the front tyre that leads to uneven wear. This exaggerates the weaving effect that CBR's are prone to.

Either your sizes are way off or you input the wrong values. Stock 100/80 and 80/90. If your values are correct, you've got much skinner and taller tyres than stock.

The value you get from going to a smaller tyre is going to be minimal. Especially since you lost all of 20 mm in the rear and a whopping 10 mm in front. You increased your sidewall height, increasing the amount of flex. I will give you that the stockers suck big monkeys; super hard and rather quick to break at the track.

Hey gang, have the 95 octane fuel stations gone very low on the ground or are they still around?

I'm concerned with the dreaded carb. rot setting in if I start using the fuel with the 10/20% ethanol mix.

Anyone been have problems????

Yes I was sold some kind of 95 octane fuel as the real thing, it was marked as 95 and priced as 95 but I think it was some kind of alcohol because it doesn't smell like benzene. Anyway I had to park my bike for a few weeks and when I tried to start it up, the carb was totally wrecked. The jets and other brass parts were oxidised so I had to buy new jets and the throttle needle was twice as thick as it supposed to be, but after a good cleaning it is now up and running again,btw the aluminium parts were uneffected.

Regards John.

Can someone who knows how to do it start a new thread about this, so we can discuss this without threadfuc_k another thread. I know close to nothing about this thing, thanks John.

There have been several fuel threads on ThaiVisa. You can search under Motors, or Bikes. You find conflicting information. Here or elsewhere, somebody said that benzene 91 contains ten or twenty percent alcohol. That would make it E10 or E20. You find claims that ethanol is 100 octane. I do not know. I now get gas often at a PPP station with countless fuels, and it is hard to read the pump. I get about 33 km per liter on either 91 benzene or 91 gasohol.

Dave is right about tire size. Front size 80/90 is standard issue, and I once got 90/80 Dunlop that was a huge improvement, but my original tires were very worn.

Here are my mileage figures for the first 2,450 km. Range from about 32 to 36, Go up one line to see what kind of fuel the latest fill-up was.

32.45 215 B91

32.44 253 B91

36.23 200 E10

35.27 255 E10

35.43 242 E10

32.59 218 E10

31.86 209 E10

32.60 236 E10

34.05 269 B91

What was the octane rating of the E10? Must have been 91 Octane, since they say you lose ~ 10% power/milage with Ethanol fuel, which is in line with your drop. I also see that you're getting better milage with your new bike; I suppose that if you used 95 Octane and weren't so heavy on the throttle wrist you'd match my results.

Oh, and something I forgot to add to my last reply; any advantage you'd get from going with a thinner tyre to reduce rolling resistance will be negated by that tyre's higher adhesion to the road.

By definition, E10 has 91 or 95 octane, as the pump says, unless they lie. I do not know why I get better mileage on the 2008 CBR than I did on the 2003.

dave, I do not see a difference in the fuels, as to mileage. The first fillup was E10, the next Benzene 91, and both got the same mileage. Averaging the data I have, benzene gets 34.1, and ethanol gets 33.4. - only a two percent difference, hardly offset by the huge difference in price. Also, I see no difference in the power output. Also, I never noticed a difference in power between benzene 91 and 95.

By definition, E10 has 91 or 95 octane, as the pump says, unless they lie. I do not know why I get better mileage on the 2008 CBR than I did on the 2003.

dave, I do not see a difference in the fuels, as to mileage. The first fillup was E10, the next Benzene 91, and both got the same mileage. Averaging the data I have, benzene gets 34.1, and ethanol gets 33.4. - only a two percent difference, hardly offset by the huge difference in price. Also, I see no difference in the power output. Also, I never noticed a difference in power between benzene 91 and 95.

Everyone knows that your first set of fill-ups usually have really bad milage until the engine gets broken in. Contrary to your experience I've noticed power/milage differences between the 91/95. Of course I'm not one of those fancy city slickers who get the good stuff, perhaps the 91 where I'm at is substandard.

Having pointed that out, to quibble about such minute percentage points is foolish. As you pointed out before, you're not going to go broke spending the extra 30 THB/100 km!

There is a huge difference in price between untaxed gasohol and taxed benzene, maybe five to six baht. I get about the same now as I did in my first two tanks. And once you are getting over 35 km per liter, you are spending so little on fuel that you will not become wealthy trading it for a 50 cc bike.

There is a huge difference in price between untaxed gasohol and taxed benzene, maybe five to six baht. I get about the same now as I did in my first two tanks. And once you are getting over 35 km per liter, you are spending so little on fuel that you will not become wealthy trading it for a 50 cc bike.

Wow, the difference is larger than I thought. Per PTT, the spread is 6.5 THB (79.7%) for Gasohol 95 and 7.3 THB (77.2%) for Gasohol 91 compared to Benzine 91.

Even being against using Gasohol, if we compare your best milage (what's the metric equivalent? efficiency?) obtained using Benzine versus the WORST using Gasohol, you used 5.5 Litres to travel 200 km using Benzine and 6.6 Litres of Gasohol to travel 209 km. So basically, to get the higher milage you had to spend an extra 8 THB (and that's using the Gasahol 95 pricing! it goes up to 13 THB if you use the Gasohol 91 prices). :o Not much support for my argument to use regular Benzine.

YEP the price difference is why the Thais are using it in bikes and cars that can not use it in the long term. poor buggers dont know the damage that they MAY be doing to their engines etc. i'm lucky with my CBR250 because if i use gasahol it runs like s*it so i gon't run it. i think now that's what was causing the tuning problems with the new engine cos now its ok. ( i did tel the mechanic NO GASAHOL but Thais know best.LOL)

allan