Work In Thailand (legally!)

johnk

Hi, any experienced Microsoft .NET developers who want to live and work in Thailand (legally), please contact me at:

[email protected].

Job Description:

We are seeking .NET (ASP.NET/C#) PROGRAMMERS to build robust solutions on the Microsoft .NET platform.

This position will require full time developers to build web based systems to replace existing legacy applications for one of the world's largest providers of products and services to the petroleum and energy industries.

This position is for experienced .NET programmers (ASP.NET & C#) with a MINIMUM of 2 years intensive experience developing web applications and utilizing the MS platform of products and at least 1 year of ASP.NET experience using C#. Must be able to pass skills test on ASP.NET & C#.

PLEASE NOTE: Our apologies, but due to the large number of applicants, only short listed candidates will be contacted.

Qualifications / Necessary Skills:

College degree, preferably in Computer Science.

Expert knowledge of Oracle, MS SQL Server & MS Access. (Preference will be given to strong Oracle skills.)

Strong background with Web UI technologies, including HTML, DHTML, JavaScript.

Strong knowledge of the .NET framework - particularly Web Forms applications.

Understanding of object oriented design and development concepts.

Experience providing time and effort estimates and then commit to a release schedule.

The ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing.

Ability to work as part of a small team and balance multiple tasks is required.

Microsoft .NET development skills

MCP, MCSD.NET, MCAD Certification (preferred).

** Preference will be given to Thai nationals.

About Mustang Technologies:

Mustang Technologies (MT), is a privately owned, Thailand Board of Investment promoted, technology company that focuses on providing outsourced software and e-commerce services. MT was established to meet the increasing global demand for high-quality software and e-commerce services.

Mustang Technologies operates a Software Factory near Bangkok, Thailand, that offers high quality, affordable software development services in one of the world’s most popular tourist destinations. We are a Microsoft Certified Partner, member of the American Chamber of Commerce in Thailand, member of the Project Management Institute, and have been affiliated with Software Park, Thailand since it's inception in 1999.

Edited by dr_Pat_Pong

even the farangs company's resort to this dispicable "thai nationals only " stuff :o .

Maybe youy could just put " work at minimal wage ", at least farang shouldn't bother reading to the bottom every time to the thai national crap.

Good luck in finding a GOOD thai .net programmer by the way.

even the farangs company's resort to this dispicable "thai nationals only " stuff :o .

Maybe youy could just put " work at minimal wage ", at least farang shouldn't bother reading to the bottom every time to the thai national crap.

why despicable, if you'd be a business owner would you hire foreigners that require higher salaries, work permits, visas, etc? these foreigners also would want you to pay for it.... :D

I'm a very senior IT worker/manager at a well known IT multinational in BKK. All the junior/middle level thai technical staff here are very adept at their work and their code output is as good as anywhere I've worked in the world. Thailand has a shortage of really experienced IT workers who have been there done that on large demanding, mission critical projects. But 1 or 2 experienced expats mentoring/leading the thai nationals works very well.And we have those leaders. It won't be long, IMHO, before thailand has a really good a base of senior technical staff.

Thought you might like to know this, hearsay and ranting can mislead, my information is first hand.

Thailand has a shortage of really experienced IT workers who have been there done that on large demanding, mission critical projects.

So maybe you can tell me why people like me who posses these experience get the Thai "save face " cold shoulder every time ??? Thais think of themselfs that they know everything already, the only thing they are willing to accept to learn from a foreigner is english.

I 'm a senior network consultant and i've ONLY seen badly build, unsecure , old networks in thailand even in the biggest multinationals. Maybe you could drive around bangkok with a wireless card (war driving) you will even find BANK networks open to the public (ma pen lai ) .

The thais are to patriotic ignorant to even admit they need some help. they rather continue with their crap then admit they could learn something.

Maybe you should read the "house electric thread" that is running now. same same.

My information is first hand also ...... :o

So maybe you can tell me why people like me who posses these experience get the Thai "save face " cold shoulder every time ??? Thais think of themselfs that they know everything already, the only thing they are willing to accept to learn from a foreigner is english.

Maybe you'ev just been really unlucky, or maybe i've just been lucky but this isnt the case in my experience...

I work for a E-Commerce company who employs around 100 Thais and a handful of Farang. We have a development department of around 10 Thais and I'm a senior analyst programmer here. I've not encountered the situation you've described, in fact i have found my co-workers to be quite warm and friendly towards me. I dont have the "save face cold shoulder treatment" from any of them, if they have a problem they ask, if they dont posses the language skills to ask in english then they ask the development manager (who is Thai) and in turn if he cant answer the question he asks me.

We do get the occasional hiccup, where they will answer "Yes" when they should have said "I dont know" but thats more down to the fact they either didnt understand the question or didnt posses the english language skills enough to answer the question, but those hiccups are becoming less and less frequent and the "I dont know" or "I dont understand" answers are replaceing them (and the occasional request for the manager, who translates for me)

Maybe if you can get into Bank networks with a wireless card you should offer your services as a security consultant, i'm sure you could make a lot of money, either that or transfer the banks funds into your own account and make a shed load of money :o I'd personally go for the consultant option myself... honest :D

Thailand has a shortage of really experienced IT workers who have been there done that on large demanding, mission critical projects.

I 'm a senior network consultant and i've ONLY seen badly build, unsecure , old networks in thailand even in the biggest multinationals. Maybe you could drive around bangkok with a wireless card (war driving) you will even find BANK networks open to the public (ma pen lai ) .

The thais are to patriotic ignorant to even admit they need some help. they rather continue with their crap then admit they could learn something.

Maybe you should read the "house electric thread" that is running now. same same.

My information is first hand also ...... :o

That quote sort of loses its meaning when it is cut and paste from it's context..haha.

I can't speak for the companies/situations you've had experience with nor the HR managers attitiudes that you've encountered.All I can say is that our expat workforce come by way of transfers from other branches.The only hiring locally, to the best of my knowledge, is of thai nationals. We already have a great deal of specific expertise /technical leadership, and if it isn't present, it is brought in from a branch or possibly acquired through a consulting company ie: Bearing Point etc.....

Have been around in Thailand for almost 14 years and personally speaking I wouldn't hire a farang. If I want to hire foreigners, I would open a company in a foreign country but not in Thailand.

BTW: I have met many good Thai programmers and it is unfair to put all Thai's in one basket.

In regards of the banks that they are not secure, my comments would be that this is rubbish. Why ?

If the poster never worked in a Thai bank, how does he know they are not secure.

I worked b4 on a project on implementing the S.W.I.F.T. payment transfer system at BBL and UOB and the payment clearance system is very secure because it runs on a Sun UNIX server (Enterprise II) and not Windows etc.

The online banking solutions are all imported from the US and Europe and as far as I know they are as secure as most bank networks are.

BTW: Thai's don't only want foreigners to learn them English. Thailand is just building up an IT force in the hope of competing with countries like India and Vietnam. I don't think they will succeed on a large scale but they should be able to generate 1-2 billion USD in offshore development per year by 2006.

Foreigners are mainly needed to oversee and co-ordinate the software development projects and as far as I know Mustang Technologies actually have several expats on their payroll already.

So my suggestion, b4 blaming the Thais maybe blame yourself. You can always go back home to your home country and work back as a Windows expert but don't go after the Thai's with your racist remarks because no one wants to hire you.

Maybe you'ev just been really unlucky, or maybe i've just been lucky but this isnt the case in my experience...

I work for a E-Commerce company who employs around 100 Thais and a handful of Farang. We have a development department of around 10 Thais and I'm a senior analyst programmer here. I've not encountered the situation you've described, in fact i have found my co-workers to be quite warm and friendly towards me. I dont have the "save face cold shoulder treatment" from any of them, if they have a problem they ask, if they dont posses the language skills to ask in english then they ask the development manager (who is Thai) and in turn if he cant answer the question he asks me.

Hi wolfie,

apparently we indeed had a different experience :D. I've applied to over 300 company's, only got reply's on six of them, got from that 4 interviews of which 3 of them were just to see you, then politely thank you so they could report to their farang boss that probably this farang wasn't good enough, i call them "save face applications". The last one was even with a fellow countryman (Belgium) who promised a lot just to get the same memory problem when it came time to act on it. IF he reads this he will know where he can stuff it for all i care :o

And yes i'm still pissed for it.

Maybe if you can get into Bank networks with a wireless card you should offer your services as a security consultant, i'm sure you could make a lot of money, either that or transfer the banks funds into your own account and make a shed load of money  I'd personally go for the consultant option myself... honest 

An old member of this forum did exactly that. He ran a security audit which he presented to some mayor ISP's. they smiled and put the thing in the bottom drawer. He was selling doll clothes a few months later to make him a living.

I can't speak for the companies/situations you've had experience with nor the HR managers attitiudes that you've encountered.All I can say is that our expat workforce come by way of transfers from other branches.The only hiring locally, to the best of my knowledge, is of thai nationals.
If the poster never worked in a Thai bank, how does he know they are not secure.

Hi asinah,

You stand with a network card next to most thai banks in bangkok asinah, you'll find out.

system is very secure because it runs on a Sun UNIX server (Enterprise II) and not Windows etc.
The fact that things are running on a unix server doesn't make them secure perse asinah especially not from a network point of view. Don't even start with the UNIX/ windows discussion again. They both have bugs and flaws. The 80's are long gone.
So my suggestion, b4 blaming the Thais maybe blame yourself. You can always go back home to your home country and work back as a Windows expert but don't go after the Thai's with your racist remarks because no one wants to hire you.

And funny enough Multinationals still prefer to import an expat , give him a 200.000 bath or more wage, give him a house , a driver ect... But when you apply locally with the same knowledge for not even a third of the price, then you are not even looked at.

SO NOW WHO'S STUPID :angry

Anti Thai sentiments edited/ Admin

Edited by dr_Pat_Pong

Having been on both sides of the hiring desk in Thailand, here's my take on the situation re technology companies.

Multinationals: They bring out their own staff because they know the product and the corporate culture already. There's really no advantage in local hiring of foreigners except they could pay them a local salary. But they prefer to have the imported foreigners train their Thai staff (usually the best available because of the high salaries) in both the corporate culture and the technical stuff. Those staff are then in a better position to train more junior staff and are likely to stay longer at the company. I've never known anyone hired locally by a multinational.

Large Thai companies: The corporate culture is determined by the ownership of the company. In Thai companies the culture is Thai. So they'll be looking for staff who can fit in with that culture. Virtually all foreigners fail the most basic requirement for employment - they can't speak, read and write the language. Because of that, the company needs a particularly compelling reason to hire a foreigner, since many staff will have to accommodate him by speaking or writing English, or translating documents for him.

Since losing a good technical staff can mean a real hiccup in a company's operation, they are going to look for people who seem to be settled and intending to work long-term. With Thai staff, the problem is many of the young engineers/developers disappear after 2 years to do their Masters degree. With foreigners, the real question is whether they have a valid reason and real commitment to stay in Thailand. With either, the self-employed or those owning their own companies often don't turn out so well as employees because they are used to doing things their own way and not as a team.

Technical expertise isn't the real issue. I think companies that have a position available and consider hiring foreigners will be looking first for:

1. An obvious commitment to stay, such as getting married or already married to a Thai.

2. Ability at least to speak Thai enough to follow business meetings.

3. Ability to fit in with the Thai way of doing things, in which interpersonal relationships are more important than efficiency, criticism is done in a roundabout way (or not at all), and nobody argues with his boss. Unfortunately, many westerners aren't very good at this. And an attitude of, "The Thais should be grateful for what I can teach them" isn't going to go down very well.

4. A recommendation from someone in the company (much better than an interview for finding out the applicant's personality and attitudes) always helps.

Obviously there is an advantage in being resident in Thailand and knowing the culture. Of the five foreigners I know who were hired locally, all were hired in the Golden Years leading up to 1997. All spoke reasonable Thai and had been living here or were married to a Thai. In at least two cases (including myself), they got the job after being recommended by a THAI friend who knew them well.

After the economic bubble burst in 1997 I got a number of calls/emails from westerners asking about jobs at the company I worked for. Generally they had been doing freelance consulting before the crash. Most of them assumed I could - and would - hire them just because I was a fellow farang. They would say things like, "Can't you make me a technical manager or something?"

The reality is big companies, especially public companies, have hiring procedures and are supposed to be transparent. If there is a position available and several applicants, all an employee can do is recommend that a particular applicant they know PERSONALLY is a good guy. That will get him an interview and, all other things being equal, a slight edge in the final selection.

Last year the economy looked like it was going to boom again, but now things are getting a bit gloomy. I reckon it will be fairly tough soon for a foreigner looking for work. Perhaps the best bet is with a smaller, farang-owned company that is BOI-promoted or has enough capital to obtain 3-4 work permits.

This post has been edited by dr_Pat_Pong on Thu 2004-06-17, 12:13:51

See what i mean with the "save face thing".

Oh the truth hurts so much in Thailand..... :o

there is no chicken flu, sars and coruption either ???

An old member of this forum did exactly that. He ran a security audit which he presented to some mayor ISP's. they smiled and put the thing in the bottom drawer. He was selling doll clothes a few months later to make him a living.

Lol, the doll clothes business is a very good business (about 100 % of benefits per set) and it given me the opportunity, and the money to open an official business )registred with a TAX numberWhat about you? Do you work here? Officially? ) DARKNIGHT, and I will be very happy if you don't use my situation or past situation. The fact is as many farangs I came here with my head full of ideas who don't fit with the local situation. The industries standarts are different from Europe . One exemple in my country you work only 35 h/week, how lon here ? 45 I think. you must remenber that, there is thailand, and the people are clevert enought to have avoid colonization, and keep safe their culture. You can love it or hate it, it will be only your 2 cents opinion.

The fact you know this story must mean I know you personnaly or you know me personnaly, whatever it would be great if you tell me (pm or my email ) who are you.

In IT field, in thailand as other countries, there weak point and strong pointsn. If you need to survive you must be adatable, or it will just mean you don't have your place here.

Lol, the doll clothes business is a very good business (about 100 % of benefits per set) and it given me the opportunity, and the money to open an official business )registred with a TAX numberWhat about you? Do you work here? Officially? ) DARKNIGHT, and I will be very happy if you don't use my situation or past situation. The fact is as many farangs I came here with my head full of ideas who don't fit with the local situation. The industries standarts are different from Europe . One exemple in my country you work only 35 h/week, how lon here ? 45 I think. you must remenber that, there is thailand, and the people are clevert enought to have avoid colonization, and keep safe their culture. You can love it or hate it, it will be only your 2 cents opinion.

The fact you know this story must mean I know you personnaly or you know me personnaly, whatever it would be great if you tell me (pm or my email ) who are you.

In IT field, in thailand as other countries, there weak point and strong pointsn. If you need to survive you must be adatable, or it will just mean you don't have your place here.

hi sting,

still here :D

I didn't mean that your biz now was a bad one , but just meant to illustrate that IT biz is hopeless in Thailand as you and alos myself experienced. Glad to see you're still there and doing well.

But surely you can agree with my experience no ?

that you can be adapteble and change careers is actually not to the point. You're actually illustrating my point by the fact that you had to change.

IT biz is still way behind and is clouded by to much nationalistic pride to even Acknowledge that most company's maybe could benefit from foreign knowledge.

Remember the 3000 IT'ers story from the beloved leader. Seen any hired lately ?

OR the Phuket IT HUB for asia ??? how many more i have to quote?

By the way the BIG pride because they were never "colonized" is just only to SIam immediatly bowing their heads and saying "yes you can trade". Maybe you should read some journals of the Dutch East India company (voc) regarding the country Siam. Just another "SAVE FACE" story

Here some dates to trigger your memory maybe :D

1598 Spain signed a treaty of friendship and commerce with Siam. This was the second treaty which Siam made with a European country.  The terms of the treaty were similar to those in the Portuguese treaty of 1516.

1601 - 1605 In 1601 the Dutch ( Netherlands ) received permission to build a trading station in southern Thailand. Three years later, in 1604, they proceeded to Ayutthaya where their arrival was marked by an audience which King Naresuan granted to their chief negotiator.

1661 - 1664 The Dutch adopted a war like policy towards the Thais. In typical imperialist fashion,  they were not satisfied with the fair trade treaties they negotiated, in good faith, with King Naresuan.

First they pirated a Thai merchant vessel, then some Dutch warships blockaded the mouth of the Chao Praya river, thus forcing Siam to sign another treaty, whereby the Dutch obtained a monopoly on the export of deer and cow hides.

1662 - 1687

In 1685, Louis XIV dispatched Chevalier de Chaumont as the first French ambassador to Ayutthaya, to be followed b y a second ambassador accompanied by 1400 French soldiers and 300 skilled workmen in 1687.

1688. King Narai  turned to the French in order to counterbalance the Dutch. He succeeded in signing a new treaty with the Dutch that contained the same terms as those found in the treaty of 1617.

1907  In order to maintain her independence, Siam during the reign of King Rama V had to cede to France considerable territory to satisfy the French King's desire to dominate Indo China. On 4 separate occasions France demanded & received territory from Thailand.

SOunds like a lot of Colonization going on to me ?? :o

i'll send you my 2 cents later :D

1907 .... French King ..... LMAO where have you found this bullshit bag ... The last king have resign after the "3 glorious" 1848 if I rmenber, after it was a republic (the 2nd) with only one PRESIDENT Louis Napoleon Bonapart (the nephew of the Emperor), then the 2 nd of december 1852 it was a "coup" and it was an empire NAPOLEON THE THIRD ( Napoleon the small by opposite of Napoleon the Great) untill 1870 and the defeat against Germany (Prussia + the other german states). And then a Republic (adopted by the deputies with only one vote of advance in 1874) In 1907, I am not sure, but I think it was Mr Fallieres. The personn who was the "pretendant" TO THE THRONE of France were asking and that untill the independance, to stay in Algeria ( with theforeign legion??????????).

About me, you right to point on this fact, mostly Thailand don't need the people who are jobless in western countries, also, as in the western countries, they are looking for specialists on the fields were they are weak. There are some sectors where it's possible to survive, I found a little one and now I can continue to stay here. But there is not easy, and if you advertise too much it will be a lot of people who will try to do the same.

I can give an idea where all the wonderfull IT specialists can find some work, but it need they have the same situation as me, I mean a real and legal business. MANY WESTERN SOCIETIES ARE LOOKING TO OUTSOURCES works to people who have the western skills (understand who know the western industry standarts) and who are very cheaper. But those societies need contractors, it mean invoices, taxes, and a lot of works for sometimes peanuts. If really IT is a passion, and not just a way to get the big bucks, then they can try that. Whatever ant that it's true all around the world, there is not enought people who have real skills about DB (Oracle mostly, but MySQL or POSTGRESQL also), but there is so many webdesigners, network admin and so.

Darknight, I really would like to know who you are (or what was you old nick here).

Regards

I'm more of a browser than a poster, but I feel I have something to contribute in this thread.

"Thai Nationals Only". How many times have I read those fateful words. I never paid much attention to

them I must say. I even managed to get a job at a Thai company advertising as such.

I came to Thailand fresh out of university to look for IT work and obviously found the going quite tough.

If you come here alone to look for work and make it on your own.... IT'S TOUGH. SO... TOUGH! You have to

expect that. I really admire those that do that cause I know how hard it can be.

However... Keep your chin up, keep persevering because it is possible to find work here if your prepared to work for sub 100K PM levels. Read the job site posts, read the bkk post, and just knock on their doors and DEMAND an interview. My first job here was earning only 15K PM (50 hours per week), while I knew unqualified english teachers earning 50K working FAR less hours. I now work for a mid size U.S. company on a "reasonable" salary doing what I want to do (.NET).

It's frustrating that multinationals hire "home" locals for absurd sums of money, while us guys that go it alone scrap by for much less. But that's just the way it goes, so there is no point being bitter about it. Thailand is a great place to live, and it's worth the sacrifice. Thai programmers can be very talented, but I believe foreign programmers have an edge, and that's how I market myself.

Let me make one point clear. To those thinking of coming here to look for work. Don't think TOO much about your skills base (of course you need to know your stuff), ask yourself, "how much <deleted> am I willing to go through?". If the answer is a lot, then your most of the way there.

To asinah. Don't be too quick to dismiss us out-of-towners. I understand the temptation for local talent, but there are a select few of us out there who can compete. Give us at least a quick look.

To darknight, keep at it, you will get there if you push hard enough, and in the end you will have all the more satisfaction for it, AND THAT's THAT MOST IMPORTANT THING....sub 100k or not.

Somehow everyone in this thread is right.

Thais are not the same, and I have hired a few very good talents here, mostly for graphics and Interface design and they were extremly cheap. But Thailand suffers from the following problems:

1. Majority of IT staff are not properly trained, and I had more bad experiences with them than good. That does not mean they are all bad but most are. Only the Multinational suckers and Thai Only businesses are stupid enough to hire them because they can't tell their right hand from their left hand in the organization. Pretty clueless. So one more handicap does not really make things worse in those organization as long as they keep their head in their ass.

2. Thai sucks in programming and complex technical skills and that's a fact. They lack the discipline. However they excel in graphics and design, and I really love them for what they do. There is also the problem of being organized etc... if you don't push them, they don't produce anything. Actually I don't mind their attitude, everyone is different, and we need to respect this cultural trait. Some take it as a weakness, I take this as an opportunity.

3. The question of absenteism. Again manageable if you are open-minded. You don't need to be an apologist for them, but also you don't need to exploit them the way we do with others in farang countries.

4. Farangs who stay here becomes like Thai. They forget the discipline of working as a farangs. I can understand perfectly why a Thai or a local farang business wouldn't want to hire them. It's a liability. My advice to the farangs looking for IT work: get a job in farang land, or just stay in Thailand and enjoy the culture without having to work. You are not welcome in Thailand for work, and that's normal. Have fun, relax and forget about the work.

5. The IT hub dream Thailand has, is a joke. Not feasible. The infrastructure is not there, and the demand for it is inexistant (except for the government and a few IT corps which see this as their "toy"). Asia Silicon Valley is already happening and it's in India. They speak the Language and have the clients to support it. Thailand has too much of a cultural divide for big IT companies to do "serious" work here. I hope Thailand will never get spoiled by become a IT super hub in Asia. It will be a disaster for the country.

To darknight, keep at it, you will get there if you push hard enough, and in the end you will have all the more satisfaction for it, AND THAT's THAT MOST IMPORTANT THING....sub 100k or not.

I didn't stick with it kabal, to much stuff just blowing in the wind. To much blabla and no boem boem thay say here.

I restarted my european company and thailand will have to face their "illusions" alone :o

Will come back for a holiday of course but that's it. :D

By the way : i was asking 50k to start..... maybe i should have asked 200 :D

This post has been edited by dr_Pat_Pong on Thu 2004-06-17, 12:13:51

See what i mean with the "save face thing".

Oh the truth hurts so much in Thailand..... :o

there is no chicken flu, sars and coruption either ???

Sorry to tell you this, but I am 100 per cent European, but I am intolerant of thoughtless bitter criticism of Thai's.

Interesting !! May I know how was the response for this add in Thailand? :o

Anyway, if any of you have projects, let me know. I am outsourcing already outsourced and stuck projects from Thailand to India and Sri Lanka.

Also we are directly undertaking all types of projects.

If Thailand wants to become an IT Hub, first thing is to get qualified teachers who can guide the kids to become programmers. Not to import expats and think it will work. It could work with other things…but not with programming…

BTW, paying monthly salaries for top quality programmers will not work in countries like Thailand. They are programmers and knows the logic well.. :D

[email protected]

Interesting !! May I know how was the response for this add in Thailand? :o

Anyway, if any of you have projects, let me know. I am outsourcing already outsourced and stuck projects from Thailand to India and Sri Lanka.

Also we are directly undertaking all types of projects.

If Thailand wants to become an IT Hub, first thing is to get qualified teachers who can guide the kids to become programmers. Not to import expats and think it will work. It could work with other things…but not with programming…

BTW, paying monthly salaries for top quality programmers will not work in countries like Thailand. They are programmers and knows the logic well.. :D

[email protected]

All the thai programmers in our BKK office are thai trained and as competent as any western programmers/architects/analysts I've worked with.Maybe we get the cream of the crop(being a very well known multinational).The expats are mostly here to provide leadership and guidance/reassurance by way of experience and having "been there done that".And of course to knowledge share.But the thai staff still cut the code, have a say in architecture/design, are vocal in meetings(that took a bit of encouragement) etc... I'm sure there are completely incompetent programmers here, just like there are anywhere in the world.Our technical recruitment process is quite harrowing and in English, so that probably filters out alot of the rubbish.Anyway, I've had pleasant experiences over the last 11 years here.Touch wood.