Thailand Has Its Hottest Day In 47 Years

george

Mercury hits 44C in Tak as Thailand has its hottest day in 47 years

TAK: -- Temperatures yesterday soared to 44 degrees Celsius in Tak province, making it the hottest day in Thailand in 47 years.

Meteorological Department statistics indicate the highest temperature ever recorded in Thailand was 44.5C, in Uttaradit province on April 27, 1960. That was followed the very next day by 43.9C recorded in Udon Thani province. Tak saw 43.7C in 1983 and 43.5C in 2004.

Tak Weather Bureau chief Somsong Duanmai said the mercury had regularly gone past 40C in the northern province since the start of this month. He said people now tried to avoid going outdoors, except when they cooled down in rivers.

-- The Nation 2007-04-26

Yes and thats just the atmospheric shade temperature, whats the surface temperature ? 150F ? Also whats the reading when exposed to direct sunlight !

I was wondering about that. So it's shade temps they are talking about is it?

My shade temps at the Mobi mansion have been hitting 36-38, and a couple of days ago, I put my Max/min thermometer 6 ft off the ground, but in the sun, and it went up to 43.

Last night we had some very strong gusts of wind, followed by rain, and today things seem to be a few degrees cooler - currently 33 in the shade.

Maybe the hot weather is coming to an end. :o

Climatic temperature is always measured in the shade as different thermometers will give different readings in sunlight based on their color, weight, light absorption etc.

Edited by Simmo

Where are they measuring these temps? The website (cheers for the link btw) says that it is 28 degrees in Loei - it feels an awful lot warmer than that at the moment. Maybe they are taking the temp from inside the KFC...

Agree DSK. They're quoting 32 for yesterday in Hua Hin. I would have said it was at least 38 degrees - 32's normal! :o

Yes and thats just the atmospheric shade temperature, whats the surface temperature ? 150F ? Also whats the reading when exposed to direct sunlight !

The heat index in Udon was 120 F that day actual tempature 108 F