Adsl Modem/router Combination Units

PattayaDavid

I live in Pattaya and am a current user of TOT ADSL, not a proud user, but user just the same.  Actually, my ADSL speed is ok, that is, when my service is not disrupted which occurs way too often for my liking as it did for 10 straight days this month.  Anyway, when I signed up with TOT, I also bought one of the TOT supplied ADSL modems.  Since I am a notebook user, don't even own a desktop computer as yet, I am considering buying a wireless ADSL Modem/Router combination unit. I would think that an aftermarket Modem/Router from the likes of D-Link, Lynsink or Belkin would be of better quality than the one that I own made by XAVi Technologies, would you agree?  

Would I get better connections with less service disruption with a modem upgrade?

I am primarily interested in the D-Link model DSL-2640T.  I saw it for sale at Tuk-Com yesterday along with a model from Belkin.  I am aware that the transfer speed of wireless 802/G is slower than a wired connection.  Of those out there who use a wireless modem or modem/router combination here in Pattaya, I would like to hear from you concerningwhat hardware you have purchased and are using and the quality of wireless services you have experienced versus a typical wired connection.

If wireless is not a good consideration, what about an upgrade of my TOT modem, would that be of any benefit as to quality of service and transfer rates?

Pattaya David

Pattaya David

I have ADSL from TT&T and after I had bought a D-Link DSL 604T wireless modem router I noticed that the speed had increased somewhat and the bonus is being able to use my laptop anywhere around the house. Bought it on the top floor of Tukcom for 2500B.

I have ADSL from TT&T and after I had bought a D-Link DSL 604T wireless modem router I noticed that the speed had increased somewhat and the bonus is being able to use my laptop anywhere around the house. Bought it on the top floor of Tukcom for 2500B.

I use TT&T, they supplied me a Zyxel Modem/1-port router (Zyxel is a quite good company) and I bought at TukCom a Belkin 54g WLAN Router. The setup is a bit tricky, as one has to deactivated the router function in the Zyxel modem, but after overcoming this, the setup works ok.

However I doubt, that new hardware will provide you a decisive speed advantage. I would not recommend (from previous experiences) D-Link, even Belkin not (although mine now works ok), but I was not able to find Netgear Products at the time I purchased my router.

Bottomline, don't expect a huge performance gain when changing the network hardware at your house, most problems arise at the provider's side anyway.

Thanks for your responses. I guess I will look around some more before committing. In my search, it appears that there are differing opinions of the D-Link modems and routers. I saw the D-Link DSL-G604T model at Tukcom in Sri Racha yesterday. I have difficulty determining the difference from the DSL-G604T and the DSL-2640T models, any clarification appreciated.

I will also include the Linksys wireless modem/routers and others in my future searches.

I mostly want to convert from wire to a wireless system. Some of the wireless modem/routers are rated as ADSL, ADSL2 and ADSL2+. I think that I read that the ADSL2 was either the fastest or had the longest range. Which service is used here in Thailand, my guess is just plain ADSL (ADSL1). Lastly, is there any difference in the wireless range between the various manufacturers? I own a two-story house and I also like to sit outside and compute at times. I've seen 802.11(pre N) models sold that supposedly have greater range, but I don't want to have to add additional hardware to my computer as it already has built-in 802.11G.

Thanks,

Pattaya David

• 8 months later...

I hate to be a nay-sayer but the guys you quote"as a real computer store" are a joke at best. Service is nil and unresponsive. The geeks at Tukom are far superior in all phases. I live here, bought from both joints and basically, arre dissapointed with all customer service, or lack there of, in Thailand.

r

Go with Linksys if you can. Linksys routers are far superior to DLink. And avoid buying it at Tukcom - try a real computer store like Watthana opposide Foodland. If you have problems, you can take it back.

It might be possible that the OP's problems are a result of his modem losing sync with the dslam, in that case changing modems definitely will have a big advantage, not really speed wise (as mentioned above that's more an ISP problem) but definitely reliability wise.

No dropped connections requiring the modem to be rebooted etc...

Eventhough D-link is not exactly the best out there, their ADSL engine inside the modem is one of the better ones around, being able to hold connection even through very poor/marginal phonelines!

Routerwise I'm a big fan of linksys, but have no real experience on how their modem part performs with the Thai terrible phonelines, BTW, they're owned by Cisco, which probably is not a bad thing either!

I also have a DSL-G604T (D-Link) and can use it anywhere in the house. Probably next door neighbours can too. So if you choose this you should password protect the use of the wi-fi.

Definitely recommend having it secured. One fine morning I found a neighbour's photos on my computer!

I brought my dad's old Linksys modem/router back from Scotland and it works fine and gives me the wireless connection for the laptop. It has about the same up-time as the TTT supplied modem, no worse or better.

Agree that you should secure your wireless side though or someone may steal your pictures and stick 'em on Tammi's computer again.

I brought my dad's old Linksys modem/router back from Scotland and it works fine and gives me the wireless connection for the laptop. It has about the same up-time as the TTT supplied modem, no worse or better.

Agree that you should secure your wireless side though or someone may steal your pictures and stick 'em on Tammi's computer again.

Hopefully nobody can get into my computer now that wireless is secured - though sometimes when I am closing down I get the message that other people are using. Please tell me not possible?

FYI I have D-Link ADSL router, then an SMC Barricade something or other, then something else with an antenna. It works good from anywhere in the house even though it's all connected with a jumble of wires. I really must make a diagram of it all so's I know what goes where and don't have to call out Liberty at 900 baht a pop.

Too many folks are having problems just now and can't all be caused by their equipment - fault must be with TT&T but TT&T won't admit to it.

Hopefully nobody can get into my computer now that wireless is secured - though sometimes when I am closing down I get the message that other people are using. Please tell me not possible?

I have seen the same prompt as well and and I know I have the 'belt & braces' wireless security enabled. Do you have any other computers on a 'home' network or is your laptop all you got?

I took the liberty of posting your question of the relevant forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...p;#entry1779887

Let's see what we get!