UK Nationwide Bank transfers to Thailand

A friend sends transfers from Nationwide via internet and the money usually arrives the next day. Same with Barclays, next day. Double check that they sent (or you requested) the correct currency. Some years back, Nationwide were supposed to make a Sterling transfer to a Sterling Foreign Currency Account out here but sent the money in Thai Baht which the receiving bank was unable to accept.(That request was made in person in the UK). Best bet is to contact Nationwide.

3 minutes ago, phutoie2 said:

The money is in Thailand already. Maybe you should read up on how TW works. 

Nationwide is a building society, not a clearing bank. They used HSBC for transfers. Well they did, I gave up on them years ago. 

I'm well aware of how it all works thank-you.

The OP was commenting on Nationwide taking 10 days to send money to Thailand. 

I simply pointed out that he could use Transferwise (from his Nationwide account) to send money to Thailand in seconds.

Maybe you should read my comment

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Surprised Nationwide take 3 days.

Have you tried Transferwise ? Usually money is in Thailand in seconds.

I am curious to know how your transfers from NBS via T/W only take seconds.

I've been using this method for well over a year now and it usually takes around 4 hours.

Not that I'm complaining about that, I would still use T/W in preference to having NBS use the SWIFT method.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I've been using this method for well over a year now and it usually takes around 4 hours.

Not that I'm complaining about that, I would still use T/W in preference to having NBS use the SWIFT method.

I use Halifax to send to Transferwise. It used to take between a few hours and on rare occassions a few days but all my transactions for the past 6 months or so have been pretty much instant.

How quick is NBS sending the money to TW ?

Edited by Chelseafan
29 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I use Halifax to send to Transferwise. It used to take between a few hours and on rare occassions a few days but all my transactions for the past 6 months or so have been pretty much instant.

How quick is NBS sending the money to TW ?

Sorry I misunderstood you. I was asking about the whole process, NBS to Krungsri.

With NBS, like the Halifax and probably all banking institutes in the UK the transfer is almost instant.

It's the paying in process by the Thai banking system that seems to be the longest leg of the journey. It's usually about 3 hours from notification by T/W to the funds arriving in my account.

Quite fast enough for me though, so no complaints.

Edited by Moonlover
5 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The reason selected for the transfer, and perhaps the receiving bank, can affect the overall process time.  eg if the reason is for extended stay/visa purposes (whatever the wording is) and the recipient is Bangkok Bank, it'll arrive on or about 2:00pm if made before ~9:30am due to it being forced through Bangkok Bank as a Transferwise partner, and their system for transfers from their main branch to sub branches.  Lots of other permutations exist and some seem to be almost instantaneous.

I use TransferWise to send from uk to thai bank and mostly it’s seconds it’s in account. I find if you do it on a Friday it’s hit and miss if you get it that day , Saturday,Sunday or even at latest on a Monday.

I have found if you send it between 12-2am uk time on Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday it takes around 4 seconds ! Any other time after 2am or so I find it’s a few hours before it’s in the account.

Edited by ronaldo0
  • Like 2

Please please please when you eventually get your funds from the Nationwide, make it the last time you do so. The British banking system are nothing short of thieves, what with high charges & poor exchange rates. You are literally giving your money away. Another poster also advised using TransferWise. I get my money into my Thai account within the hour & save £54 per thousand on exchange rates & charges. Food for Thought Matey.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My last 2 TW transfers, incl. 1 just  2 days ago, have gone thru in seconds. But that is once TW have received the money by Faster Payment from my bank which happens to be Nationwide, and I never transfer the money immediately, as I always book the transfer and hopefully a good rate for 24 hrs (72hrs at the weekend to midnight Monday) and opt to pay later in case the volatile exchange rate should go up even more or down. Maybe if I paid TW immediately I book the online transfer it would take a day. I dont know.

I am a Nationwide customer and I always send my money from them to TransferWise using online banking, as it costs alot less in fees and you get a better rate, the actual mid market FX rate. 

And as has been mentioned it arrives usually within a few minutes into your Thai account.

I have been transferring from Halifax Account £9.50 per transfer delivery times vary 1 or 3 days, will forget now transferring from my other bank Nationwide which i'm in dispute with at the moment as it's been a total shambles all along i can't even access my online account 6 weeks so far and have got nowhere, will give tranferwise a go next time i transfer usually £3000 a time cost varies i suppose?

On 8/28/2020 at 10:01 AM, bert bloggs said:

used them twice in the last couple of weeks ,took about a day both times ,but no problems whatever ,always use them .

The time for the money to arrive in your account depends on the transfer-option you chose. 

5 hours ago, maxcorrigan said:

I have been transferring from Halifax Account £9.50 per transfer delivery times vary 1 or 3 days, will forget now transferring from my other bank Nationwide which i'm in dispute with at the moment as it's been a total shambles all along i can't even access my online account 6 weeks so far and have got nowhere, will give tranferwise a go next time i transfer usually £3000 a time cost varies i suppose?

I looked into the Halifax foreign currency transfers a few years ago. To use it you had to change the money at the Halifax exchange rate to Thai Baht which was then sent. A very quick search on the Net reveals Halifax have a 5% markdown on their Euro rate. Other Halifax exchange rates are difficult to find.

"Be careful out there."

On 8/28/2020 at 6:56 AM, fishtank said:

Transferwise is a lot cheaper than using Nationwide.

i just tested it and its 3 times the cost - £58 vs £20 for £10K wire transfer

have i set it up wrong or something?

also if i do swift transfer from nationwide to bangkokbank (london) its free

do transferwise have free option for swift transfers too?

3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

Yes the fee increases the more u send. But TW's exchange rate is better. Even if 0.5thb less from Nationwide on your 10k transfer u would lose £121.95 @ 41thb exchange rae. In fact TW tell u at the bottom of 1st page of the transfer that u could save £538 compared to the average bank. That is one thing I like about TW. Everything is upfront and clear right from the very start with no hidden or extra charges even from my receiving bank; Kasikorn.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

Transfer from Nationwide to TW is free and instant by Faster Payment. Bangkok bank London is totally separate from BKK Bank Thailand and they transer money to Thailand  like any other UK bank. When I checked years ago It was slightly cheaper than Swift though at £15 and u had to open an account with them.