UK Nationwide Bank transfers to Thailand

31 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Don't look at the fees, look at the Baht you get.....

image.png.b46bfc1cb6911f1c28e480b9095179ce.png

ok cool thanks i'll check that out. i usually send pounds not baht so i'll see what bangkokbank is converting at when it arrives locally.

when i've checked before it was at or close to midmarket but hey never know things may have changed.

On 8/29/2020 at 2:27 PM, GeorgeCross said:

ok cool thanks i'll check that out. i usually send pounds not baht so i'll see what bangkokbank is converting at when it arrives locally.

when i've checked before it was at or close to midmarket but hey never know things may have changed.

Here are the fees using Bangkok Bank London.  Send in baht and they'll do you on the exchange rate, send in pounds then they'll do you with fees.  Add another 150 baht if you're sending your GBP to another bank in Thailand (it's cropped off the bottom of this image).

image.png.e2c05cebf176a0053b11ffa4b569f313.png

On 8/28/2020 at 2:50 PM, supersomchai said:

I send money to thailand every month via nationwide ...never had a problem in the 6 years i been sending it takes 2-3 days max .Never more.

i know there are cheaper ways...but it works and i got proof on my bank statements.????

You get Email receipts from transferwise and can login and print off receipts.

I know you say it "works for you" and I was of the same thought process but decided to get off my <deleted> and send a small test transaction. I was surprised at how quick and cheap it was.

Why would you knowingly want to be overcharged for a service ?

I've just sent the missus 13000 baht.

image.png.0577f991a8bacaf2a80991810fd86b57.png

It cost me £317.25 in total for her to get 13,000. She received the money 3 seconds after I pressed the send button

Halifax on the other hand

image.png.067d7cd33dac005596a7f39592b61957.png

That same £317.25 means she will get nearly 200 baht less AND I'll be charged £9.50 extra

It will also take at least three days to get there.

If you like throwing money down the drain I'll happily take it ????

Try it, you won't regret it.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2
On 8/31/2020 at 3:47 AM, treetops said:

Here are the fees using Bangkok Bank London.  Send in baht and they'll do you on the exchange rate, send in pounds then they'll do you with fees.  Add another 150 baht if you're sending your GBP to another bank in Thailand (it's cropped off the bottom of this image).

This is where it might be cheaper if you are sending large amounts as TW charge a %age

12 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

I know you say it "works for you" and I was of the same thought process but decided to get off my <deleted> and send a small test transaction. I was surprised at how quick and cheap it was.

It cost me £317.25 in total for her to get 13,000. She received the money 3 seconds after I pressed the send button

That same £317.25 means she will get nearly 200 baht less AND I'll be charged £9.50 extra

Multiply that by 15 and I have just lost a lot.    I don't transfer often but such a saving would pay for a few months rent.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Sadly some people just don’t get it, that they’re being ripped off by their own banks. When their own banks don’t change the individual has to change with the times. I for one have been using TransferWise for many years and it’s money in my pocket.

The Halifax makes money from the individual, they are only a holding bank, then they forward it to Lloyd’s who take a cut, before forwarding to your Thai account. Banks are not your friends there in business to make money, please remember there are other options.

• Like 2
On 8/28/2020 at 1:44 AM, Chelseafan said:

I'm well aware of how it all works thank-you.

The OP was commenting on Nationwide taking 10 days to send money to Thailand. 

I simply pointed out that he could use Transferwise (from his Nationwide account) to send money to Thailand in seconds.

Maybe you should read my comment

Thankyou Mr Thailand, I am pleased that there are at least some foreigners in control of their finances here. 

I have a Monzo bank account in the UK, for international transfers it  can be linked with your Transferwise account, making overseas transactions seamless. Monzo gives you the rate details from Transferwise and you just confirm if you're happy and it's usually there in seconds.

Edited by Stocky
On 8/31/2020 at 9:47 AM, treetops said:

@GeorgeCross Just be aware that BKKB's London branch will require you to jump through a number of bureaucratic hoops before you can avail yourself of their transfer facility. Click on https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Other-Services/Transfers/Transferring-Into-Thailand/Transfer-money-from-UK-to-Thailand-via-London-Branch then the + sign against "How to transfer funds from UK to Thailand, using your UK’s bank Online Banking or Counter Services" for relevant details as follows:-

Process

• You will need to first register and obtain a unique reference code from Bangkok Bank’s London branch to send funds to Thailand via Bangkok Bank’s London branch.
  • Complete the Client Remittance Registration Form to sign up the service with Bangkok Bank’s London branch and submit the form with two forms of identification as listed in Bangkok Bank’s London branch’s Identity Verification Guide.
  • Visit Bangkok Bank’s London branch with the original documents or send the verified copies of your completed Client Remittance Registration Form and identity documents to Bangkok Bank’s London branch at Exchequer Court, 33 St. Mary Axe, London EC3A 8BY, UK.
  • Upon receipt of your completed details and after the registration process, Bangkok Bank’s London branch will contact you and provide you with your unique reference code and payment instructions.

Also, if using TransferWise, the amount which will end up in your BKKB account will be exactly what TW tell you it will be when you initiate the transfer. In other words BKKB won't make any deduction of their own. I can vouch for this on the basis of personal experience.

• Like 1