Query about changing reason for extension

I think I read somewhere that when changing the reason for extension, the extension was given from the date of application and not from the end of the current permission to stay as is normal.

Is this true.

I was thinking of changing from marriage to retirement.

Thanks.

Depends on your IO. Since I've been here, I have reported to Korat, then Surin and finally Buriram without changing my address because they changed the rules as to which office you had to report to. I've changed from retirement to marriage and back again a couple of times. Korat immigration extended my stay from the end of my current permission to stay when changing from retirement to marriage, but Surin (Kap Choeng) immigration extended my stay from the date of my application when I changed the reason for the extension, so effectively it changed my visit to immigration by around 1 month for applying early. This was a few years ago, so IMHO it's best to ask your local IO what their policy is. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng

Thanks for the replies.

I use CW in Bangkok and remember a few years back due to a financial glitch, I had to use a 60-day visit wife extension to bridge two one-year wife support extensions and the 60 days began from the date of application so I lost a few weeks. I assume that was due to change of reason. I thought at the time that 60 day and one year for marriage were pretty much the same but apparently not.

Anyone switched from marriage to retirement at CW recently and encountered any glitches? I can still do the marriage. I don't mind the photos and stuff, but hate dragging myself up to that place.

Also is it true that the appointment system doesn't cover family extensions such as marriage?

TIA