Did I just hear a steam train pass thru Ban Amphur? (Na Jomtien)

DekDaeng

13 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Do they have diesel or electric trains in Thailand already?

Of course there are diesel locomotives in Thailand. The main part of the fleet runs on diesel. Check out Wikipedia if you are interested. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't hear anything but i'm usually asleep ay that hour.

I have noticed the passenger trains are back looking very shiny and like new..(same old colours) and the blue aircon "tourist" trains are back too.  Other than that there are at least 2 x per day rather noisy and long oil transport trains and less noisy for some reason the container transportation trains.

My bet would be it was an oil transport train very noisy.

11 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

They are modified to be powered by new types of fuel instead of coal or wood"

Interesting .. and worthy that monuments to our early mass transportation systems are revived .. some steam loco's in Britain were converted to run on oil in the immediate yrs following WW2 as the coal mined within the country that was best suited for steam Loco's was reserved for export to help try and address the national debt .. until the price of the oil increased making it less of a viable option .. LNER U1 , the largest locomotive ever built in G B was one that was converted to run on oil in the late 40's before reverting back to coal for a couple of yrs before getting cut up for scrap in the mid 50's .. 

IMG_20200830_175402.jpg

• Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 5:01 AM, Justgrazing said:

LNER U1 , the largest locomotive ever built in G B was one that was converted to run on oil in the late 40's before reverting back to coal for a couple of yrs before getting cut up for scrap in the mid 50's .. 

There is a special circle of hell reserved for the bureaucrats that destroy so many treasures that should have been saved for posterity. The morons bureaucrats know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

I used to travel on a train in NZ in the early 70s hauled by steamers fueled by oil. There was always a crowd of steam enthusiasts recording the loco at the station before it left.

NZ bureaucrats are as stupid dim as any so I assume they were destroyed.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 12:01 AM, Justgrazing said:

Interesting .. and worthy that monuments to our early mass transportation systems are revived .. some steam loco's in Britain were converted to run on oil in the immediate yrs following WW2 as the coal mined within the country that was best suited for steam Loco's was reserved for export to help try and address the national debt .. until the price of the oil increased making it less of a viable option .. LNER U1 , the largest locomotive ever built in G B was one that was converted to run on oil in the late 40's before reverting back to coal for a couple of yrs before getting cut up for scrap in the mid 50's .. 

IMG_20200830_175402.jpg

What a fantastic photo, thank you. Quote:-

The London and North Eastern Railway Class U1 was a solitary 2-8-0+0-8-2 Beyer-Garratt locomotive designed for banking coal trains over the Worsborough Bank, a steeply graded line in South Yorkshire and part of the Woodhead Route. It was both the longest and the most powerful steam locomotive ever to run in ... The original number was 2395, and it was renumbered 9999 in March 1946, ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

What a fantastic photo, thank you. Quote:-

The London and North Eastern Railway Class U1 was a solitary 2-8-0+0-8-2 Beyer-Garratt locomotive designed for banking coal trains over the Worsborough Bank, a steeply graded line in South Yorkshire and part of the Woodhead Route. It was both the longest and the most powerful steam locomotive ever to run in ... The original number was 2395, and it was renumbered 9999 in March 1946, ...

If you've a big interest in Steam Bill read about Woodhams yard where nearly 300 steam locomotives were despatched in the 50/60's to meet their maker .. lined up in sidings nose to tail , it was literally a loco graveyard but many escaped the executioners gas cutters by being bought up by preservation societies and restored which is a testament to the preservation scene in Britain .. as far as I know they have all gone now but it really was quite a strange eerie place to go and see all these huge monsters silently awaiting their fate .. 

IMG_20200902_060226.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Justgrazing said:

If you've a big interest in Steam Bill read about Woodhams yard where nearly 300 steam locomotives were despatched in the 50/60's to meet their maker .. lined up in sidings nose to tail , it was literally a loco graveyard but many escaped the executioners gas cutters by being bought up by preservation societies and restored which is a testament to the preservation scene in Britain .. as far as I know they have all gone now but it really was quite a strange eerie place to go and see all these huge monsters silently awaiting their fate .. 

IMG_20200902_060226.jpg

Sad, but a great place to visit, which I did on several occasions in my much younger days, climbing over these redundant "beasts" at Dai Woodham's yard in Barry, South Wales. As you probably know, many of today's preserved steam locomotives on the UK's "Heritage Railways" were saved from this yard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Sad, but a great place to visit, which I did on several occasions in my much younger days, climbing over these redundant "beasts" at Dai Woodham's yard in Barry, South Wales. As you probably know, many of today's preserved steam locomotives on the UK's "Heritage Railways" were saved from this yard. 

Hahahaha .. same here .. my old man was a big steam enthusiast and took me and sister there when we were kids much to my mother's annoyance when we came home with oil and soot all over us and the seats of the car .. 

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1