BMW Motorrad Servicing - Rip Off ?????

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMSI includes the 1000km (first service) and further 10,000km (or 1 year - which ever is first) for the first 3 years. 

Thus servicing should be free for the first 3 years. 

The first service at 1000km would have been free. But because I was late, at 1500km its no longer free even though the service is the same !!!! (oil change, brake level checks, disk and pad checks, chain tightening etc).

Thus: It seems rather odd that I’m going to be asked pay for something I would have received for free just because I’m late. 

Its not the price I’m questioning, its being charged at all that I’m questioning. 

Free service for 3 years???? Did you pay or take an extra insurance for that?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Most companies these days know that a shoddy experience can go viral in a few hours, potentially having a huge effect on their reputation.

I did my 3 year warranty with Ford for our car and as soon as it was up went to my wife's cousin who has his own mechanical workshop, i.e. he used to be head mechanic for Nissan then ventured out on his own and is doing really well.

Yesterday dropped into Ford as was literally in front of them and heard this whining noise coming from almost under the gearbox, they put it on the hoist and said you have to replace the universal housing, cost 8,000 baht including labour, said will think about it, guy said you shouldn't drive it as it might do damage to the gearbox, said ok, will let you know, went to the wife's cousins 15 minutes down the road, said same thing, ordered the part and put it in, he said part cost him 3,600 baht, wife said plus your labour, he said ok 3,900 baht, wife gave him 4,000 baht.

I can appreciate Ford have huge overheads and need to make a profit, but was glad when warranty was over, oil and filter changes were like 4,000 - 5,000 a time, at wife's cousins it's 2,000 so better to have the dosh in my pocket, still can't believe I have 160,000 clicks on the clock and the brakes haven't been changed in 5 years, although next 10,000 kilometres they will be changed as will the oils in the diff and transmission as I am feeling that I can afford it if it's not at Ford, especially when there is no warranty to keep me there ????

As for the guy at Ford, wife did ring and thank him and told him that her husband decided to get it done down the road for 4,000 baht.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I did my 3 year warranty with Ford for our car and as soon as it was up went to my wife's cousin who has his own mechanical workshop, i.e. he used to be head mechanic for Nissan then ventured out on his own and is doing really well.

Yesterday dropped into Ford as was literally in front of them and heard this whining noise coming from almost under the gearbox, they put it on the hoist and said you have to replace the universal housing, cost 8,000 baht including labour, said will think about it, guy said you shouldn't drive it as it might do damage to the gearbox, said ok, will let you know, went to the wife's cousins 15 minutes down the road, said same thing, ordered the part and put it in, he said part cost him 3,600 baht, wife said plus your labour, he said ok 3,900 baht, wife gave him 4,000 baht.

I can appreciate Ford have huge overheads and need to make a profit, but was glad when warranty was over, oil and filter changes were like 4,000 - 5,000 a time, at wife's cousins it's 2,000 so better to have the dosh in my pocket, still can't believe I have 160,000 clicks on the clock and the brakes haven't been changed in 5 years, although next 10,000 kilometres they will be changed as will the oils in the diff and transmission as I am feeling that I can afford it if it's not at Ford, especially when there is no warranty to keep me there ????

As for the guy at Ford, wife did ring and thank him and told him that her husband decided to get it done down the road for 4,000 baht.

That's the funny thing about modern vehicles, they've become so complicated now that most people don't have a clue - I'm sure they've done it on purpose so they can tell you that the left balancing inverter nut and shaft need replacing costing thousands when they just tighten a screw.

I remember when I was a schoolboy, my father had a ford cortina, the thing was so simple that we used to get the engine out of it quite regularly which really annoyed my mother because of the grease stains on the dining room table and in the kitchen sink. My father had this hoist that'd lift it out and we'd wheel it into the house. I remember cleaning up the brakes with a wire brush we bought in Lucas and some Gateway washing up liquid. Then getting fish and chips once everything was done.  

Sometimes I think that life was much better back then.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Admittedly not here, but they've lost a customer, and all of my friends and family will not be buying.

So ALL your family and relatives will not buy a BMW in the future, because Richard, a person they probably have never met or heard about, didn't get his first service for free?

That must be strong stuff you are smoking

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

I was once an apprentice mechanic, didn't like it so left after a while, but do remember things being easier back then, that said, I have had this Ranger going on 5 years and all I have done is changed the oil every 15,000 clicks and filters, a hose and a set of tyres at 90,000 clicks, now with 160,000 clicks on the clock, oh and the damper drive shaft yesterday which I called the universal housing in a previous reply.

You can't say I haven't had a good run so far, might be time for an upgrade soon, a Hyundai Imax as there is 6 of us and the smallest is becoming taller by the minute and heavier with mum complaining when she sits on her in the front seat ????

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Other than that, I prefer not to feed the troll - Kwasaki may be pishhed up, his comment makes no sense. 

???? What naivety, a 4000 baht charge for a bike service is not irrelevant at all it tells exactly what the dealer is.

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

???? What naivety, a 4000 baht charge for a bike service is not irrelevant at all it tells exactly what the dealer is.

As well as a 3 year free service in non existant. (Says the owner of 2 BMW cars in a period of 10 years) ???? 

5 hours ago, SteveK said:

.....but you need to make a stand here and grow a pair. You are being taken advantage of by these people because they think you have money to burn. It's a western company so do the western thing and make an official complaint and don't be scared to mention the fact that this issue is being followed online if they start bullying you.  

Exactly that...    I’m in the process of following up with BMW. 

• Like 2

I bought a used S1000RR, Aprilia V4 Tuono 1100, a new Yamaha R1 and a Honda CBR600RR. Admittedly not here, but they've lost a customer, and all of my friends and family will not be buying. Small potatoes for sure, but goulash is a Hungarian dish so don't know what you are talking about, much like yourself.

he means Frankfurter sausage or wearing slippers with socks.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

As well as a 3 year free service in non existant. (Says the owner of 2 BMW cars in a period of 10 years) ???? 

If you owned 2 BMWs (Cars) in the past 10 years why don’t you know what their BSI is ????

I have also had 2 BMW’s (F10 528i and an F15 X5) both with BSI, I didn’t have to pay any service fee. 

The BSI (BMW Service Included) is included in the cost of the car - no additional charges, service free and includes: 

- Engine oil, oil filter and top-ups.

- Air filter, fuel filter, micro-filter and spark plug. 

- Brake fluid. Vehicle check per BMW’s standards. 

- Front and rear brake pads. 

- Front and rear brake discs. 

- Windshield wiper blades.

Most manufactures are now overing service inclusive packages for the first 3 years which you can either pay for or are included in the price of the car.

BMW offer this same package with the purchase of their motorcyles: BMW Motorrad Service Inclusive - BMSI.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Free service for 3 years???? Did you pay or take an extra insurance for that?

BMW Motorrad Service Inclusive - it comes ‘with’ the motorcycle, included in the cost, along with BMW’s mobility service (road side assistance and medical roadside assistance).

And you ’should’ have had the equivalent (BSI) with your cars if you purchased them new or within their BSI period which usually matches the length of warranty.

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 11.31.52.png

"chain tightening"  Is this one of those Gotya threads where we all fall for it despite the fact most if not all Beemers are shaft drive???  Well...the sexy boyracer model has a chain...so maybe you have one of those!  ???? 

If you have I am jealous already! ????

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Other than that, I prefer not to feed the troll - Kwasaki may be pishhed up, his comment makes no sense. 

You’re still not making sense Kwasaki...   make a relevant point pls. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susco said:

Admittedly not here, but they've lost a customer, and all of my friends and family will not be buying.

So ALL your family and relatives will not buy a BMW in the future, because Richard, a person they probably have never met or heard about, didn't get his first service for free?

That must be strong stuff you are smoking

Last year I was looking at another car - Avoided Ford... why? primarily because of the list of comments on this forum about Fords poor customer service. 

BMW make excellent motorcycles (I know some of the resident trolls will argue this, but thats beside the point). If they are failing to be flexible during Covid-19 times - I’m not impressed with their service. 

• Like 1

RESPONSE from Servicing Manager BMW Motorrad: 

The tolerance for first service is 800-1200km.

I am clearly outside that (at 1500km) and under normal circumstances should be charged for that. 

The service centre back charges BMW for the parts and labor provided under the BMSI - if the service is outside of the window BMW will not cover this. 

However, as Covid-19 complicates this I can make claim and request that BMW Motorrad push this issue to BMW International. 

Thus: Its my fault. I continued riding my bike putting on another 3-400 km when I should have waited for the service centre to open up. 

I will pay the 4000 baht for the BMW Motorrad service. Its not clear that the service centre have been honest with me working within their guidelines issued by BMW International. 

I will also raise the issue with BMW Motorrad that they have not offered any concession to the regulations while service centres have been closed etc under Covid-19.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Last year I was looking at another car - Avoided Ford... why? primarily because of the list of comments on this forum about Fords poor customer service. 

BMW make excellent motorcycles (I know some of the resident trolls will argue this, but thats beside the point). If they are failing to be flexible during Covid-19 times - I’m not impressed with their service. 

I think you missed my point.

I'm well aware that BMW makes excellent vehicles, I have owned 7 new BMW cars in my previous life, and I have a few good friends that swear by BMW motorcycles as they are hardcore tourers.

But do you think that because you are not impressed in this instance, all of your family and acquittances, will never buy a BMW again?

Or even better, would they turn BMW their back because SteveK isn't impressed?

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The condition is BMSI for 3 years (free servicing for 3 years) - the timing of the servicing are guidelines. 

If the bike was older than 3 years, of course, I’m outside of the BMSI window. 

Where would you draw the line in the sand? - 980km ok or too early? outside of the ‘condition’? is 1020km too late? outside of the condition?  - how close to the 1000km mark is reasonable.

Being late on the first service is hardly falling outside of that contract - its terrible optics for BMW if thats the case and I don’t think it is - I wonder if the service department are not making up a ‘few of their own rules’.

The issue is, if they are, trust in their standards is now lost

You always come across as a reasonable and level headed fellow in your posts, so if you remain calm and plead your case to Thailand BMW i think they'd reconsider the dealer's decision and go ahead with the free servicing.

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMW Motorrad Service Inclusive - it comes ‘with’ the motorcycle, included in the cost, along with BMW’s mobility service (road side assistance and medical roadside assistance).

And you ’should’ have had the equivalent (BSI) with your cars if you purchased them new or within their BSI period which usually matches the length of warranty.

Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 11.31.52.png

Ok, now I do not have patience with you and your always up to know everything comments. Here is the url to BMW Thailand in English. 

https://www.bmw.co.th/en/topics/offers-and-services/personal-services/bmw-service-inclusive.html

On another page it also stands that packages up to 5 years are available. However, let´s just say that you are right with the 3 years.

Face it dude! You messed it up! You let it go over 1200 km before you decided to make the first service. 

Copy from the last line that the link above refers to: Caution: If oil service overdue has been accumulated in total of more than 1,200 km. or one month, the warranty of engine mechanical parts will be voided.

Read it and weep! You just messed up a perfectly good 36 month insurance. Now you´re paying the price for it.

7 minutes ago, Susco said:

I think you missed my point.

I'm well aware that BMW makes excellent vehicles, I have owned 7 new BMW cars in my previous life, and I have a few good friends that swear by BMW motorcycles as they are hardcore tourers.

But do you think that because you are not impressed in this instance, all of your family and acquittances, will never buy a BMW again?

Or even better, would they turn BMW their back because SteveK isn't impressed?

Thats the whole point of the thread - finding out if others have had similar issues. 

(I also went on some BMW Motorrad forums) it seems BMW service is pretty decent, although there are lot of complaints of the cost of BMW servicing outside of BMSI which I am sure impacts the choice of many. 

Had 20 other BMW owners also contributed to this thread with a poor customer service experience it may give those in the market for a BMW motorcycle pause for thought.

This thread may now also give people reason to question ’service windows’ which are never stated. 

i.e. anyone purchasing a Mazda which includes Mazda care can now ask: What if I bring the car in for its 1000km service after 1400km? any problem? 

I wouldn’t turn my back on BMW over this issue - but I would raise hell with BMW if I found out the service centre had lied to me and that would question whether or not I chose BMW in the future. I suspect other may feel the same.

I was in the market for a Ducati last year - I asked questions on this forum about Ducati’s, I wanted specific ownership experiences and opinions. The opinions of perfect strangers on this forum aided my decision not to buy a Ducati in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Here when under warranty any dealership has you by the balls. Back in Oz, consumer affairs made sure as long as your bike/vehicle was serviced by a registered/licensed mechanic your warranty was valid,

yep thats was my  point, they tried this <deleted> in the UK once and got knocked down eventually. What they now do of course is  only let bmw agents  have the software info and correct computer tools  etc to make it nigh on impossible for you.

Edited by bodga

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Ok, now I do not have patience with you and your always up to know everything comments. Here is the url to BMW Thailand in English. 

https://www.bmw.co.th/en/topics/offers-and-services/personal-services/bmw-service-inclusive.html

On another page it also stands that packages up to 5 years are available. However, let´s just say that you are right with the 3 years.

Face it dude! You messed it up! You let it go over 1200 km before you decided to make the first service. 

Copy from the last line that the link above refers to: Caution: If oil service overdue has been accumulated in total of more than 1,200 km. or one month, the warranty of engine mechanical parts will be voided.

Read it and weep! You just messed up a perfectly good 36 month insurance. Now you´re paying the price for it.

Every single thread you turn into a trolling argument - you’ve got issues fella !

--------

You said 3 years free service does not exist... you now know it does and you’ve posted a link to it !!!! 

Its inclusive in the cost of a purchase of a BMW - You do not pay for a service in the first 3 (or 5) years, depends on model and year or purchase. 

Motorbike BMSI - 3 years (inclusive 3 years free service (if I didn’t mess up))

Cars BSI - 3 years BSI (on the F10 528i) and 5 years BSI on the F15 X5  (all services on those cars were free / inclusive)

-------

Yes - it looks like I messed up (as I pointed out in post #46: Response) and simply left the service too late. 

My fault. 

The BMSI and Warranty are still valid - I’ve been told my next service window is 9000-11000km (which will likely be outside the 3 years BMSI anyway as I don’t ride more than 4000km a year).

23 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Yes - valid point - thats for BSI (cars service), there is no such comment on the BMSI page (Motorrad) - but I now know such a ‘window’ exists after pushing the issue up the chain. 

It would be useful of (all) manufacturers to provide us this information and window when purchasing a car or motorcycle.

It would be especially important for BMW to alert its customers that the Warrant would be void if the first service is carried out beyond 1200km (I never knew this, I expect it may be a surprise to other BMW owners too). 

Now I know this is a ‘genuine window’ and there is no flexibility from BMW head office I am happy to pay the servicing cost and glad that they have not terminated my warranty. 

However, had BMW also terminated my warranty I’d be raising the issue again because no such warning (for Motorrad) has been proved in any of the vehicle documentation. 

That's the funny thing about modern vehicles, they've become so complicated now that most people don't have a clue - I'm sure they've done it on purpose so they can tell you that the left balancing inverter nut and shaft need replacing costing thousands when they just tighten a screw.

I remember when I was a schoolboy, my father had a ford cortina, the thing was so simple that we used to get the engine out of it quite regularly which really annoyed my mother because of the grease stains on the dining room table and in the kitchen sink. My father had this hoist that'd lift it out and we'd wheel it into the house. I remember cleaning up the brakes with a wire brush we bought in Lucas and some Gateway washing up liquid. Then getting fish and chips once everything was done.  

Your mother must have breathed a big sigh of relief the day you moved out.     ????

So you took on BMW and lost? They're not budging?

They make some of the best motorcycles money can buy and in Germany their service is considered cheap, depending on whether it's in a big city or outside, there is a price difference but it is generally fair pricing for service.

The really outrageous thing is that they do not pass on the hourly savings in Thailand to the customer, because what you're paying is comparable to charges in Germany. However, the hourly labour cost will be much lower in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

So you took on BMW and lost? They're not budging?

They make some of the best motorcycles money can buy and in Germany their service is considered cheap, depending on whether it's in a big city or outside, there is a price difference but it is generally fair pricing for service.

The really outrageous thing is that they do not pass on the hourly savings in Thailand to the customer, because what you're paying is comparable to charges in Germany. However, the hourly labour cost will be much lower in Thailand.

The key issue for me was accuracy of information provided by the service centre. 

I wanted to know being charged for a first service because I was late an official policy or if it was a policy being applied by this specific service centre. 

I’m disappointed that BMW have not been flexible given the difficulties this year with the Service Centre being closed due to Covid-19.

That said, the service centre has been open for the past month, so its my fault for exceeding the mileage although I was not made aware of a limitation and didn’t consider an additional 500km as anything excessive. 

BMW could have better communicated the terms of the BMSI. I could have been more diligent. 

This wasn’t about ’taking on BMW’ - it was about finding out whether this specific service centre are being deliberately intractable or even pulling a fast one. They are not, they are following their guidelines and I now have confidence that shortcuts with the service will not be taken. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes - valid point - thats for BSI (cars service), there is no such comment on the BMSI page (Motorrad) - but I now know such a ‘window’ exists after pushing the issue up the chain. 

It would be useful of (all) manufacturers to provide us this information and window when purchasing a car or motorcycle.

It would be especially important for BMW to alert its customers that the Warrant would be void if the first service is carried out beyond 1200km (I never knew this, I expect it may be a surprise to other BMW owners too). 

Now I know this is a ‘genuine window’ and there is no flexibility from BMW head office I am happy to pay the servicing cost and glad that they have not terminated my warranty. 

However, had BMW also terminated my warranty I’d be raising the issue again because no such warning (for Motorrad) has been proved in any of the vehicle documentation. 

When you buy a hard disk, you will not open because that voids warranty.

When you buy a kitchen mixer, you should not put the plug in 400V, because that voids warranty.

In your case there is a clause about already mentioned. You are obligated to read the terms and conditions for you car, kitchen mixer, hard disk or any other warranty you might have. If there is a clause regarding 1200 km, then that will stand in your terms and conditions for your warranty package. You are responsible to ask for it if you do not get the terms and conditions for your warranty, and you are responsible for being aware of the terms and conditions.

So, as a matter of fact. If BMW would have chosen to terminate your warranty, then it would not matter where you decide to raise any issue. Because it´s totally your responsibility.