How to Trade in international stock and shares as a UK expat from Thailand?

Mario666

Dear All,

In mid-February just as I could see Covid was breaking I released decent chunk of money from UK investments (long term) and now have some cash to play with.

The funds I was in were old school FTSE type shares which took a battering just after I got back in to cash.

I am non-resident for tax purposes in the UK. I have been trying to find a way to invest in potentially more lucrative, if risky "Tech Stocks" such as Nasdaq.

I have tried to open accounts with a couple of companies including Hargreaves Lansdown and Resolut, but they insist I must be a UK or EEC resident.

I am worried about using companies over here as they may not be FCA regulated and I don't want to lose the lot if the brokerage company goes bust or they turn out to be dodgy.

Can anyone in a similar situation advise as to where to set up an account in order to trade.

I could use my ex-wife's address in the UK to set up a trading account which I still use as my Bank and Credit Card billing address, but I am worried I might have to pay capital gains at source on any withdrawals and then have to claim it back when I do my tax return.

Also as you might guess me and the wife do not get on...I have lived in Thailand and been non-resident for UK tax purposes since 2011.

I still have to file a UK income tax return as I rent my house out there and pay tax on the income.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks Keyser,

My problem is I bank with Barclays in the UK and Krung Thai in Thailand.

I don't want Barclays to know I live abroad permanently as they had a purge on a few years ago and made expats close their accounts if they were no longer UK residents. Barclays have no branches in Thailand.

I do not trust Thai banks as once a Thai GF managed to get my PIN Number (must have been the peeping over the shoulder at the ATM)....It was not until after we had split up that I found she had used my card to transfer over 60,000Thb to her account before she did a runner.

I went to my bank and they said it was my fault and did nothing!

Edited by Mario666