Chiang Mai To Penang..via (wait For It..) Train!

So i need another TV, and seeing as I have been to Loas, I would like to visit a different country.

With the airasia flight time-table..it may just prove to be a bit awkward and not so cost effective for me, thus, I wonder how viable taking the train would be?

Has anyone tried this trip before?

Have a few questions if so (or if anyone has advice):

- Are the cabins comfortable, clean etc?

- Any chance the train has wi-fi lolz?

- Do i need a return ticket in order to enter Malaysia, get visa etc?

Apart from that..does anyone recommend a nice place to stay .. (I am single female traveller, would like to know of places ppl can recommend and safe, clean, and friendly)

Cheers for any replies on this crazy notion! :o

With the airasia flight time-table..it may just prove to be a bit awkward and not so cost effective for me, thus, I wonder how viable taking the train would be?

Has anyone tried this trip before?

Have a few questions if so (or if anyone has advice):

- Are the cabins comfortable, clean etc?

- Any chance the train has wi-fi lolz?

- Do i need a return ticket in order to enter Malaysia, get visa etc?

The train is viable. That used to be the way to go for many (AirAsia has only been around since 2004, people have been making this journey a bit longer than that!). Second class air sleeper is quite comfortable in the newer coaches. These coaches are used on the Nakhon Ping train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok and v.v., and on the International Express from Bangkok to Butterworth and v.v.

That said, it is a very long journey by train and consective overnights on the train can be a bit wearing. You may want to opt for flying one leg of the trip and taking the train for the other (e.g. fly to Bangkok in the morning, pick up the International Express going south in the afternoon).

As far as clean and comfortable is concerned, go to the Chiang Mai train station in the late afternoon sometime and check out the coaches first-hand before the evening trains depart.

No Wi-Fi on the trains.

You do not need a return ticket to enter Malaysia. Many nationalities are granted a ninety-day entry stamp for Malaysia.

Another question...

I have read that some people have used visa agents in Penang for their visas. Is this really a good option? If so, can anyone recommend a good agent. (Also..are they really now limiting the Tourist visas to one entry..or can i try my luck at getting a multiple entry with or without an agent?)

Thanks again!

(used the search function for this question..but couldnt find ..)

Another question...

I have read that some people have used visa agents in Penang for their visas. Is this really a good option? If so, can anyone recommend a good agent. (Also..are they really now limiting the Tourist visas to one entry..or can i try my luck at getting a multiple entry with or without an agent?)

Thanks again!

(used the search function for this question..but couldnt find ..)

I have used Penang several times, and have used an agent....they all charge the same, and are not expensive....one i can recommend is to be found in a bookshop/money changer near the Swiss hotel in Chulia street...

there are many places to stay...from cheap [ish] and cheerful...in love lane, there are many....and there are some more up-market places as well....

I usually stay at the Noble Hotel...a old colonial building..which is clean, the staff friendly,it is close to chulia street, yet is very quiet....and not too expensive...the rooms have shower facilities,but toilets are communal..................

I have been given to understand that they now only issue single entry visas in Penang

hope that this is of some use!!

Biggest problem I saw with the train is what to do in Bangkok from arrival at 6am to departure at 6pm - the station is not an interesting location and you don't want to wander too much with your baggage.

I've taken the overnight sleeper train (cabin, lower bunk, alone) two or three times between CMai and BKK, and it was pleasant (but over 1000 baht). And I've done the overnight Hua Hin-Butterworth, round trip, second class sleeper fan, lower bunk (not a cabin). Like they said, it might get tedious, and the trains usually run late. If you enjoy reading on a train, bring a few long novels.

I've taken the overnight sleeper train (cabin, lower bunk, alone) two or three times between CMai and BKK, and it was pleasant (but over 1000 baht). And I've done the overnight Hua Hin-Butterworth, round trip, second class sleeper fan, lower bunk (not a cabin). Like they said, it might get tedious, and the trains usually run late. If you enjoy reading on a train, bring a few long novels.

Was that 1st class? because I paid around 800 baht a few months back for lower bunk 2nd class air conditioned coach.

Anyway if I were to do the journey buying tickets separately for the sectors would that be a LOT more than the buying the CM-Penang in one go? For example if wanted to stop over for some days in BKK and then in Hua Hin?

Anyway if I were to do the journey buying tickets separately for the sectors would that be a LOT more than the buying the CM-Penang in one go? For example if wanted to stop over for some days in BKK and then in Hua Hin?

I don't believe you have a choice but to purchase two separate tickets, one for each train.

Even if the SRT did offer some sort of through ticket, you wouldn't save much money because of the manner by which ticket prices are calculated. On the second class aircon sleeper special express trains, you pay far more in surcharges than you pay base fare. If memory serves, second class base fare between Chiang Mai and Bangkok is 281 baht. Anything you pay above that are various surcharges. If the SRT offered a through fare from Chiang Mai to Butterworth (and hypothetically let us say that extended fare would be slightly cheaper than the two combined base fares), you would save little money in the end because you would pay the full surcharges on both trains taken. That's exactly the method by which a child fare is calculated: 50% of the base fare, plus the full amount for all of the associated surcharges. On the 800 baht ticket you quoted for Chiang Mai to Bangkok, you wind up saving only 140 baht on a child ticket.

(As an aside, the SRT hasn't raised base fares in years because the gov't won't allow it. Ticket prices keep creeping upwards because the surcharges get increased. In effect, a fare raise without raising fares.)

If you wanted to include a Bangkok-Hua Hin leg, you wouldn't necessarily need to travel on the International Express and pay the surcharge for a sleeping berth. There are other, cheaper options available. But you would need to take the International Express from Hua Hin to Butterworth. In any event, this routing by itself would also require two tickets as well (Bangkok-Hua Hin, Hua Hin-Butterworth).

Edited by ovenman

With the private cabin, lower berth, two or three years ago I paid over 1,000 baht between CMai and Bangkok.

Also, the connection is troublesome. These long range, better accomodation trains are few and far between, and more than once I had to change trains at Bang Sue, north of Bangkok, rather than proceeding to Hualalampong main station. Another time I came within 20 seconds of missing the northbound train at BangSue (long story), and would have had to spend the night in Bangkok and start over.