If Thailand is Covid-Free, then why are masks still required in public places?

CALSinCM

On 9/4/2020 at 8:40 AM, CALSinCM said:

If someone thinks, "Better safe than sorry" does that mean that they plan to wear a mask for the rest of their lives?  SARS-Cov-2 is here and I doubt it will ever go away. Vaccines with a 50% efficacy are not going to eradicate the virus.

If you believe that everyone should wear masks in public, the please answer this:
What criteria must be met in your mind to make you personally comfortable with being in public without a mask?

I'm not trying to be cheeky, on the contrary, I truly want to understand how people who feel the need to wear masks at all time in public think this is will end - or in your opinion - will it ever end?  I'm simply trying to see where there is an end to this particular string.  Is there an end to this string?  Honest, heartfelt feedback would be appreciated. 

That's a good question.

My opinion based on anecdotal evidence and what other countries are doing is this:

firstly, let me state that masks are only required in certain indoor public spaces although authorities like to suggest masks are needed to attend festivals and outdoor events too. That being said, once you're through the door you can take your mask off or lower it below your chin. 

The exception is Phang Nga, which due to one covid case in Bangkok 700-800km away went into panic mode and declared masks mandatory again in all public spaces the other day. The other thing is that authorities never really announce the end of restrictions - they just randomly stop enforcing them while still officially "requiring" them. That's what happened in most of Thailand and Vietnam too. 

Vietnam stopped enforcing mask mandates sometime in May, after having strictly enforced them since weeks before Thailand first did. However, after the second wave emerged on July 25, masks were once again made mandatory and authorities are now keeping them mandatory as the second lockdown eases and few no cases are recorded. 

Many other countries have made masks mandatory in some situations/specific locations or even across the board, since July, even if they didn't require or recommend them during the 1st wave (for instance, many parts of western Europe, Victoria/Australia and New Zealand). In Myanmar they've tightened control over the past few weeks...mask use was waning despite being made mandatory in May, but due to their second wave are now being worn by more people than ever before. 

My opinion is it will depend on the recommendations of the WHO and whether they feel the pandemic is starting to ease. I think if we continue on the current trajectory (not withstanding another knee jerk response to a DJ in jail incident) then the masks will likely mostly come off in around 2-3 months from now.

To be honest, I can't see them staying on longer, given that they're basically no longer required in Wuhan and many other parts of China, which was extremely stringent at first. If "dictatorial" China can stop requiring them (and BTW masks started coming off in China back around June) then I can't see Thailand or any other country in the region keeping them on beyond around December. 

Edited by TheFreqFlyer

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Masks were a part of Asian culture before COVID came along. It's probably one of the factors in limiting the spread compared to other parts of the world.

They aren't really required in public places, just designated areas such as shopping malls, dental clinics etc. They are inconvenient, but when in Rome...etc.

Not quite.

The Cambodians and Laotians haven't worn them since the beginning of this crisis and in Thailand I've never really seen them worn until this year (aside from a brief stint in Bangkok late last year due to pollution). 

Yes in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, mainland China, Hong Kong and Vietnam, masks have been worn for everything from protection from pollution to protection from previous epidemics, but, unlike now, I don't think they were ever mandatory. Also, SARS was nothing. It was on the news for a few weeks and then fizzled out. There were no travel restrictions (only recommendations not to visit certain countries/cities like Toronto in Canada) and by the time I got some vacation I bought my plane ticket as usual and traveled to SE Asia like the previous year...nothing had changed. 

Interestingly, masks were mandatory in the USA and Europe during the Spanish flu back in 1918. 

This time round, things are looking very different. Travel in 2021 or 2022 could be something that is permanently different to what we've been used to. 

20 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's only required when you enter 7-11/Tesco/Makro ....... hardly 'all the time'.

exactly, mostly i see people pulling some grubby mask from their back pocket and putting it on as they enter 7-11
then once inside it is dropped down under their chin
then they remove it as they leave
also seen the staff at 7-11 now also do door service for those who do not have a mask
the customers are simply telling the staff what they want and handing them the money
the staff go in then 2 mins later come out with goods and change

soon 7-11 will have giant 7-11 vending machines (these are already being tested here)
no staff, no human contact, no risk of Kovit (and even less jobs for people)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:47 AM, mr mr said:

it was never about the virus. it was always about control. 

You may have seen a news clip in the media last week (it was quickly deleted!) where the WHO head - Dr (not really a doctor!) Tedros stated that the lockdown was never about the virus it was more about "Global warming"! 

I could post a link but who knows what is allowed and who's political sensibilities one would be offending in doing so ???? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cmarshall said:

The acceptance of masks probably helped, but it is obvious that the main cause of the excellent performance of the Asian countries in suppressing the virus is the competence of the governments especially the public health departments.  The South Korean CDC ordered twenty different companies to start producing Covid test kits at scale on Dec. 31, 2019.  They could do this despite that neither China nor the WHO was very forthcoming about the emerging virus at that time, because they had their own strategy for surveilling the emergence of pathogens in China as part of their overall epidemic control plan which they had designed after MERS in 2015.  And the politicians stepped aside and let the public health officials manage the response.  The story is similar in the other Asian countries that have been successful: Taiwan, China, Vietnam, and, of course, Thailand.

The US, by contrast was also surveilling disease outbreak in China with a Beijing office of the US CDC and USAID, among others.  But these were set up under the Obama administration and promptly shut down by Trump in 2017.  So the US has 569 deaths per million and rising while S. Korea has 6.

It's baffling why so many posters are looking so hard to find some explanation for the Asian success with Covid that doesn't imply greater competence than the Western countries.  

I really don't consider the mass exodus from Bangkok, of rural Thais going back to their villages on crowded buses in the wake of losing their jobs, was a demonstration of competence, more pure luck.

IMO there are other factors operating in Thailand's low infection rate. Humidity, heat, spicy food, mask adoption, the wai ; even mass BCG immunization. Or a combination of all the above.

I'm quite content to be "stranded" in Thailand. Stage 4 lockdown in Melbourne doesn't bear thinking about. If the price for that is wearing a mask when required, it's no problem for me. Other people can get rabid about it if it floats their boat.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:25 AM, CALSinCM said:

If Thailand is Covid-Free within the borders of the general population, then why are masks still required in public places?

Because while you apparently feel certain that "Thailand is Covid-Free", the medical authorities here do not.

If someone thinks, "Better safe than sorry" does that mean that they plan to wear a mask for the rest of their lives?  SARS-Cov-2 is here and I doubt it will ever go away. Vaccines with a 50% efficacy are not going to eradicate the virus.

If you believe that everyone should wear masks in public, the please answer this:
What criteria must be met in your mind to make you personally comfortable with being in public without a mask?

I'm not trying to be cheeky, on the contrary, I truly want to understand how people who feel the need to wear masks at all time in public think this is will end - or in your opinion - will it ever end?  I'm simply trying to see where there is an end to this particular string.  Is there an end to this string?  Honest, heartfelt feedback would be appreciated. 

Thai's have been wearing masks for a long time.  It is probably one of the reasons the virus was not as bad as lt  could have been.

As long as the virus is around masks will be required.  On that note though I am seeing a lot of the Young Thai's with the mask protecting their chins

I think most people that are asking the qeustion of the importance of wearing facemasks don't have any family members or close friend that where in IC or have been very sick or elderly that are in homes and can't be visited by there family and grandchildren . If you don't want to wear it then don't but don't come crying when you get realy sick or having go fund me pages because you can't get on a plane back home to your sick family of have to be repatriated yourself . Everybody can think what they want and that's your right, so people that want to wear facemasks just to be safe i aplaud them and i will wear them myself for as lonh as it takes when in public places . Better safe then sorry is quit correct and i think you will feel sorry if you catch it and get sick that you weren't safe and feel the same when a family member catches it because of someone that was sick and wasn't wearing one . Having said all that i hope everybody stays safe and healthy and this will be over sooner then later . 

• Like 1

Ha! OK, tell it the Japanese who I observed wearing on my trips from 1983 to after 2000. Is it control if the citizens embrace the safety?

On 9/4/2020 at 6:33 AM, tonray said:

First domestic case in 100 days reported yesterday ....stay tuned

You do know that the amount of tests in Thailand are ridiculously low? Who says there aren't any infected in a country with ~69 million people? 

• Like 1

If they have their way they will not stop the wearing of masks and tracking until you are injected with god knows what and at what cost to you or your country. They have already frightened the tourists away with quarantine for the duration of what would be a 2 week holiday for the majority of people and outlandish compulsory charge for insurance masks on flights against something no worse than the flu? Madness!!!!

I see small businesses closing down for good everywhere. Needless suffering and hardship based on lies and exaggerations.

• Like 1

Vaccines with a 50% efficacy are not going to eradicate the virus.

Yes they will. Even 50% will get the R-naught (the new infection rate per infected person) below 1. If it's below 1 then the virus will die out. 

With all the vaccines being tested surely one or two will be highly effective, leading to a much quicker end, but even 50% efficacy is good enough.

In the mean time, two simple things will greatly help individuals

1: Wear a mask when around other people.

2: Keep your vitamin D level high.

Those two things will give you an enormously better chance of surviving an infection. #1 because it reduces the viral load you receive, giving your body a chance to fight it before it multiplies too much, and #2 because it makes your immune system work better.

(edited)

Edited by onthedarkside
Medical advice from a non-medical doctor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lacessit said:

They aren't really required in public places, just designated areas such as shopping malls, dental clinics etc

dental clinics? the mask would get stuck between my teeth... I was in the midst of root canal and had a series of appointments... unmasked, mouth open but my poor dentist was in some sort of plastic suit and soaking wet from sweat... routine appointments were not being taken... I think all is open again now... 

28 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

dental clinics? the mask would get stuck between my teeth... I was in the midst of root canal and had a series of appointments... unmasked, mouth open but my poor dentist was in some sort of plastic suit and soaking wet from sweat... routine appointments were not being taken... I think all is open again now... 

Sigh. The mask is removed when the dentist is actually working on you. Same in medical clinics, you wear a mask until the doctor is consulting.

I do find it amusing when making a withdrawal at the bank, and I am asked to remove my mask so the teller can compare with my passport. I'm wondering what would happen if I sneezed at that critical point.

AFAIK all dental clinics in Chiang Rai are open for all procedures. I had two fillings restored when the curfew here ended, back in May.

Control of ??? 
Political movements ? 
Or people grocery shopping ? 
Or control of night life ?

Or control of tourism ?
oh wait, I got it, control of prostitution. That must be it. That's it. Right ????????????
It's all "Hansom" men fault. ????????????

If someone thinks, "Better safe than sorry" does that mean that they plan to wear a mask for the rest of their lives?

clearly it could be a chance to stop the view of all these ugly old men faces !

Those who say better safe than sorry are likely prepared to wear a mask in public for the rest of their lives. There is no covid in Thailand, at this time, or people would be croaking. A few cases in quarantine mean nothing. I think the whole mask thing is Inane. Especially when you understand the science. Cloth masks only do a minor job of preventing an infected person from spreading it. Period. 

The Cambodians and Laotians haven't worn them since the beginning of this crisis...

Not true for Laos.  The use of masks was required when outside one's house, when lock down was imposed, as was the use of temperature checks and hand sanitizer.  At that time, ALL Lao people that I saw in the streets had face masks.  The only people who refused to comply were some ignorant, selfish foreigners.  Now, with lock down over, many people still don a mask when in close contact with others. I do the same of course, and my actions are visibly appreciated by many Lao people in these shops.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CGW said:

You may have seen a news clip in the media last week (it was quickly deleted!) where the WHO head - Dr (not really a doctor!) Tedros stated that the lockdown was never about the virus it was more about "Global warming"! 

I could post a link but who knows what is allowed and who's political sensibilities one would be offending in doing so ???? 

I'm no fan of Tedros, but I don't understand your comment about his qualifications.  To quote Reuters "Tedros, was born in Asmara, Eritrea. Now 55, he holds a doctorate of philosophy in community health and a master of science in immunology of infectious diseases, both from British universities. - He is the first director-general in the WHO's 72-year history not to be a medical doctor.".

You do know that a 'doctor' is someone who holds a doctorate (PhD)?  My father had a PhD and was a professor of languages, and was correctly referred to as 'Dr ...".