If Thailand is Covid-Free, then why are masks still required in public places?

CALSinCM

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The mask is removed when the dentist is actually working on you. Same in medical clinics, you wear a mask until the doctor is consulting.

I do find it amusing when making a withdrawal at the bank, and I am asked to remove my mask so the teller can compare with my passport. I'm wondering what would happen if I sneezed at that critical point.

Yes, I know that you take off the mask while they work...

I have made large withdrawals at the bank and they never ask me to take off my mask... I must have an honest looking mask... 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sumarianson said:

Needless suffering and hardship based on lies and exaggerations.

So, you are saying the sky isn't falling if there even is a sky?

Carbon, oxygen, atoms, viruses - everything is a hoax... even hoaxes are made up by the govt to control you... 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Yes, I know that you take off the mask while they work...

I have made large withdrawals at the bank and they never ask me to take off my mask... I must have an honest looking mask... 

There is another explanation, but it's probably in breach of forum rules.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Those who say better safe than sorry are likely prepared to wear a mask in public for the rest of their lives. There is no covid in Thailand, at this time, or people would be croaking. A few cases in quarantine mean nothing. I think the whole mask thing is Inane. Especially when you understand the science. Cloth masks only do a minor job of preventing an infected person from spreading it. Period. 

The research is saying masks are relatively ineffective in preventing inhalation of virus particles, about a 20% improvement. However, in terms of preventing an infected person spreading coronavirus, them wearing a mask improves retention by 60 - 70%.

Your statement is misleading because it refers to cloth masks, which are generally accepted as the least effective form of mask.

I'm happy to accept inanity over the risk of death or severe disablement. It's a minor inconvenience, but I suppose to some it's major.

Why? Because there might be some foreigners who slipped through the border and infect you.

We had a case of a foreigner doing that even though he was blacklisted.

Or foreigners like that Egyptian guy who didn't quarantine himself even though he was supposed to be.

Edited by EricTh

On 9/4/2020 at 6:25 AM, CALSinCM said:

If Thailand is Covid-Free within the borders of the general population, then why are masks still required in public places?

In general I wear a mask outside for many reasons, not just Covid [which is almost eradicated]

I do it purely for health reasons, to prevent other contagions passed from un-healthy people or even the PM2.5 pollution which is a real issue.

I used to cough up rubbish before, something I've never done before, I started to wear a mask to stop inhaling all the particles in the air and this has solved the problem.

Everything you breathe in goes into your lungs.

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

The research is saying masks are relatively ineffective in preventing inhalation of virus particles, about a 20% improvement. However, in terms of preventing an infected person spreading coronavirus, them wearing a mask improves retention by 60 - 70%.

Your statement is misleading because it refers to cloth masks, which are generally accepted as the least effective form of mask.

I'm happy to accept inanity over the risk of death or severe disablement. It's a minor inconvenience, but I suppose to some it's major.

Cloth masks are nearly all you see here. And surgical masks do very little. Only an N99 is truly effective in preventing contagion, on the person wearing it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Cloth masks are nearly all you see here. And surgical masks do very little. Only an N99 is truly effective in preventing contagion, on the person wearing it. 

Where is here? In Chiang Rai, cloth masks are a minority.

I'd suggest your posts would have more credibility if you were posting authoritative research, not broad and misleading generalisations.

I get that some people don't want to wear masks. I don't get the BS arguments put forward to support their reluctance.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, EricTh said:

Why? Because there might be some foreigners who slipped through the border and infect you.

We had a case of a foreigner doing that even though he was blacklisted.

Or foreigners like that Egyptian guy who didn't quarantine himself even though he was supposed to be.

The zombies are coming! 

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Where is here? In Chiang Rai, cloth masks are a minority.

I'd suggest your posts would have more credibility if you were posting authoritative research, not broad and misleading generalisations.

I get that some people don't want to wear masks. I don't get the BS arguments put forward to support their reluctance.

The fact is that Thailand had one of the lowest rate of infection in the world even though it was the first country to be affected and had tons of Chinese tourists during that time.

It goes to show that both cloth and surgical masks do prevent the spread whereas those countries who don't wear them have high rate of infections.

The proof is in the pudding and not heresay. I would rather believe in the pudding.

Edited by EricTh

30 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The fact is that Thailand had one of the lowest rate of infection in the world even though it was the first country to be affected and had tons of Chinese tourists during that time.

It goes to show that both cloth and surgical masks do prevent the spread whereas those countries who don't wear them have high rate of infections.

The proof is in the pudding and not heresay. I would rather believe in the pudding.

Hilarious.  No one was wearing a mask in January-March, so that theory is out the window.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

This was in 7 Feb 2020.

Maybe these politicians in your photo wanted to make a point, but I was in Jomtien from January to the first week of March, and only a few people were wearing masks then, despite hordes of Chinese tourists visiting adjacent Pattaya in January. 

On 9/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, CygnusX1 said:

Maybe these politicians in your photo wanted to make a point, but I was in Jomtien from January to the first week of March, and only a few people were wearing masks then, despite hordes of Chinese tourists visiting adjacent Pattaya in January. 

I was in Thailand during Feb and March and I can tell you that the majority of Thai (not a few) were wearing masks. After March, the percentage of mask wearers increased. Now it has dropped.

On 9/8/2020 at 7:49 PM, CygnusX1 said:

I live in Pattaya and Jomtien. Since February to present day mask are compulsory in offices,  buildings, shops, malls and are very common in the streets They are not worn in bars, restaurants or clubs except by the staff.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 11:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

Yawn at the mask deniers restarting a dead debate. Don't live here if wearing a mask is such a burden. Really just leave.