If Thailand is Covid-Free, then why are masks still required in public places?

CALSinCM

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

To give LBs a better chance at being picked up.

The last couple weeks most people don't bother signing in to shops

I go to a busy sports bar in Soi Bukow, everyone still signs in with temp checks,well run and patronised.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

I go to a busy sports bar in Soi Bukow, everyone still signs in with temp checks,well run and patronised.

yes some still do, i went to a agogo a couple weeks ago and had to sign in. People are fed up with signing in at shopping centres when there is zero covid

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

To give LBs a better chance at being picked up.

The last couple weeks most people don't bother signing in to shops

same same london,started off like that now most people (in the pubs clubs shops i go in ) don,t bother.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

it is not all the time - mostly just malls and supermarkets... 

And I think they don't know the answer - when you are dealing with a deadly pandemic, better safe than sorry... 

If someone thinks, "Better safe than sorry" does that mean that they plan to wear a mask for the rest of their lives?  SARS-Cov-2 is here and I doubt it will ever go away. Vaccines with a 50% efficacy are not going to eradicate the virus.

If you believe that everyone should wear masks in public, the please answer this:
What criteria must be met in your mind to make you personally comfortable with being in public without a mask?

I'm not trying to be cheeky, on the contrary, I truly want to understand how people who feel the need to wear masks at all time in public think this is will end - or in your opinion - will it ever end?  I'm simply trying to see where there is an end to this particular string.  Is there an end to this string?  Honest, heartfelt feedback would be appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Masks were a part of Asian culture before COVID came along. It's probably one of the factors in limiting the spread compared to other parts of the world.

They aren't really required in public places, just designated areas such as shopping malls, dental clinics etc. They are inconvenient, but when in Rome...etc.

27 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Masks were a part of Asian culture before COVID came along. It's probably one of the factors in limiting the spread compared to other parts of the world.

They aren't really required in public places, just designated areas such as shopping malls, dental clinics etc. They are inconvenient, but when in Rome...etc.

The acceptance of masks probably helped, but it is obvious that the main cause of the excellent performance of the Asian countries in suppressing the virus is the competence of the governments especially the public health departments.  The South Korean CDC ordered twenty different companies to start producing Covid test kits at scale on Dec. 31, 2019.  They could do this despite that neither China nor the WHO was very forthcoming about the emerging virus at that time, because they had their own strategy for surveilling the emergence of pathogens in China as part of their overall epidemic control plan which they had designed after MERS in 2015.  And the politicians stepped aside and let the public health officials manage the response.  The story is similar in the other Asian countries that have been successful: Taiwan, China, Vietnam, and, of course, Thailand.

The US, by contrast was also surveilling disease outbreak in China with a Beijing office of the US CDC and USAID, among others.  But these were set up under the Obama administration and promptly shut down by Trump in 2017.  So the US has 569 deaths per million and rising while S. Korea has 6.

It's baffling why so many posters are looking so hard to find some explanation for the Asian success with Covid that doesn't imply greater competence than the Western countries.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

For a time before covid hit, Thailand had the honor of most polluted city in the world (Chiang Mai), plus runners up. People were already wearing N95 masks because of the particle pollution from all the burning going on

I suppose government could somehow spin this into "See? all that air pollution turned out to be our savior"

On 9/4/2020 at 7:19 AM, Matzzon said:

I guess that was the most irrelevant complaint thread today. Anyway, thanks to all the posters and members in this forum that actually sees the benefit of wearing a mask and how great Thailand have been doing during the pandemic.

Sure, Thailand is very vulnerable. people are trying to walk in and out through natural borders all the time. That will probably create some problems in the future. However, I guess the ones that see it as something positive instead of complaining, following the rules instead of complaining and breaking them and are wearing a mask as long as it takes. Yeah, they will probably find out that Thailand wasn´t such a bad place to stay in and wait out the pandemic in.

You see.... if we wait long enough, you and can find something we agree on! Well said.

• Haha 1

I think most Thais assume that the virus is out there and circulating at some low level but that "no confirmed cases" could probably be the result of: low levels of testing, mild or no symptoms for most people, and older folks maybe dying at home and thus not reported as covid.  On the street, mask wearing in BKK is common but not universal.  In shops and especially malls it is.  I interpret it as a "better safe than sorry" attitude.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2020 at 6:25 AM, CALSinCM said:

I'm asking this question because eventually anyone who doesn't particularly want to piece of cloth/paper over their month all the time when the initial reason for wearing the mask has disappear in the general public.

It's only required when you enter 7-11/Tesco/Makro ....... hardly 'all the time'.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1