Anybody got a uk embassy letter this month?

Yes, i am in Ubon. I saw the same post and was quite happy! I'm hoping they're going to announce something soon (such as the 90 day tourist visa) that we can apply for in Thailand.

I really don't want to apply for the volunteer visa with an agent. Iv'e been here for a few years on non imm B visas, and now tourist visas. The officers know me quite well so i'd be a bit shy doing 90 day reports with a dodgy visa!

I told my girlfriend about the chatter on here for volunteer visas at around 50-55k, and she wants me to do it as it's an easy way to stay here for 15 months + 1 year extension later for another 35k. More than enough time to get a new 'clean' passport, get another tourist visa later, and then apply for thai elite visa. Hopefully i would be able to spend 1 million for 20 years, rather than the 500k for 5 years by then.       

What are your thoughts Peter? Is this a workable plan? I looked into setting up a company, but it doesn't look like a solid option. Unfortunately, there aren't many options for younger people with solid financials but no wife!

Edited by 2530Ubon
spelling error

43 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Yes, i am in Ubon. I saw the same post and was quite happy! I'm hoping they're going to announce something soon (such as the 90 day tourist visa) that we can apply for in Thailand.

I really don't want to apply for the volunteer visa with an agent. Iv'e been here for a few years on non imm B visas, and now tourist visas. The officers know me quite well so i'd be a bit shy doing 90 day reports with a dodgy visa!

I told my girlfriend about the chatter on here for volunteer visas at around 50-55k, and she wants me to do it as it's an easy way to stay here for 15 months + 1 year extension later for another 35k. More than enough time to get a new 'clean' passport, get another tourist visa later, and then apply for thai elite visa. Hopefully i would be able to spend 1 million for 20 years, rather than the 500k for 5 years by then.       

What are your thoughts Peter? Is this a workable plan? I looked into setting up a company, but it doesn't look like a solid option. Unfortunately, there aren't many options for younger people with solid financials but no wife!

Hi 2530 Ubon,

Didn't realize you were under 50 years of age, not married to your Thai girlfriend and with no dependent Thai children.  That of course limits the options considerably, with only the Volunteer Visa, an Ed Visa and the Elite Visa as possibilities for long-stay in Thailand,

The first two being a bit dodgy, so with the Elite Visa as the only longer-term worry free Visa.

Obviously, marrying your Thai girlfriend is also an option but if the main or sole reason for doing so is to stay longer-term in Thailand, that's not a very solid ground for marriage.

Anyway, applying for the 30-day regular extension of stay will provide you with a permission to stay till 26 October.

I doubt that by then the borders will be open again or that the 90-day Tourist Visa that is now being suggested by TAT will be available for those residing in-country.

So I would use those 1.5 month to check out your options for either the Volunteer Visa or preferably for the Elite Visa (but be aware that there is a considerable lead-time for the Elite Visa, so cannot wait too long when going that road).

Note: It would also be worthwhile to check with Ubon IO whether applying for the Embassy letter supported 'special' extension of stay after 26 October, would bar you from doing any regular extensions (like the Elite Visa) afterwards.  A string of such special extensions until borders open again would also be an option, but that requires B@lls of St33l to live in continual limbo whether you would indeed be allowed to extend such 'special' permissions to stay multiple times and whether your Embassy would keep on providing the necessary letters.

Just my 5 cents of thoughts.

Cheers and success!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi, if you are indeed residing in Ubon Ratchathani, as your Profile hints to, you are quite lucky.

There was a report approx 1-2 weeks ago of someone on a Tourist Visa (obviously with already long time expired permission to stay) that applied at Ubon IO for the 'regular' 30-day extension which he hadn't used yet and which his Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry entitled him to.

Ubon IO did provide him with that regular 30-day extension of stay with start date 27 September.

And that will allow him now to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa from that valid permission to stay before 26 October.

It's no coincidence that I mentioned that you are lucky, because several IOs refuse to handle such regular 30-day extension of stay during these Amnesty-times. 

And be aware that when making use of the Embassy supported 'special' 30-day extension of stay, that it might block you from applying for any further regular extensions of stay, so you would really need to enquire at your local IO when wanting to make use of that option (which in your case won't be necessary as you still have your unused 'regular' 30-day extension of stay which will be honored by Ubon IO on application).

I phoned a few of the other immigration offices in Isaan and elsewhere and they all told me I couldn't extend my tourist visa without an embassy letter. I didn't call the Ubon one but it may be that the poster just got lucky. It seems a potential waste to fly all the way from Bangkok just on the off chance they might give you an extension.

8 hours ago, kevc said:

Just recieved my letter this morning.

9 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Well it seems you were wrong as I have just received my letter 

Do you have to provide them with evidence like a cancelled flight ticket or can you just dream up a semi-believable story and get the letter that way?

13 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I phoned a few of the other immigration offices in Isaan and elsewhere and they all told me I couldn't extend my tourist visa without an embassy letter. I didn't call the Ubon one but it may be that the poster just got lucky. It seems a potential waste to fly all the way from Bangkok just on the off chance they might give you an extension.

Why don't you phone the Ubon Ratchathani office and enquire?

The report from the applicant in Ubon that got his 'regular' 30-day extension of stay which he hadn't used yet, was very credible.  And it is actually just regular Immigration practice to provide such 30-day extension, so Ubon seems to be one of the rare offices where normal Immigration practices are still honored in these crazy Amnesty times.

Edited by Peter Denis

5 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Why don't you phone the Ubon Ratchathani office and enquire?

The report from the applicant in Ubon that got his 'regular' 30-day extension of stay which he hadn't used yet, was very credible.  And it is actually just regular Immigration practice to provide such 30-day extension, so Ubon seems to be one of the rare offices where normal Immigration practices are still honored in these crazy Amnesty times.

What I noticed was that the staff on those telephone lines seemed fairly junior. The only one who seemed senior was the Kanchanaburi office and she was helpful but adamant that I needed an embassy letter. The Korat girl seemed lovely but in the end advised me to come in and discuss the issue with an officer. I don't think you're going to get a definite answer on the telephone.

Edited by edwardandtubs

50 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Do you have to provide them with evidence like a cancelled flight ticket or can you just dream up a semi-believable story and get the letter that way?

I`ve seen it written that you have to have proof of a cancelled ticket and also proof of a new booking after Sept 26th to satisfy immigration.

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

No evidence of cancelled ticket required and I told them the truth about my circumstances

16 minutes ago, finy said:

Why are there 2 emails?

Does anyone know the correct one for letters that everyone agrees on?

Cheers

Just use the link Ubonjoe gave on the first page of this thread. 

I gave no proof of cancelled flights and by the looks of it, the letters just seem to be standard issue with your name and date of arrival in Thailand pasted in. 

Edited by Marcous
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Marcous said:

Just use the link Ubonjoe gave on the first page of this thread. 

I gave no proof of cancelled flights and by the looks of it, the letters just seem to be standard issue with your name and date of arrival in Thailand pasted in. 

what did you say? Mine was denied today ???? 

@bwoy32 Did they give a reason for your denial?

I just said I had planned to go to Vietnam for 3 months then get another 1 year ed visa. Now I can't do either because the borders are closed. Also mentioned some other stuff about why it would be difficult for me to go back to England. 

8 minutes ago, Marcous said:

@bwoy32 Did they give a reason for your denial?

I just said I had planned to go to Vietnam for 3 months then get another 1 year ed visa. Now I can't do either because the borders are closed. Also mentioned some other stuff about why it would be difficult for me to go back to England. 

Seems you got lucky. No help to me at all. My mother lives in the US with late stage cancer, as it stands I  cannot take an urgent flight from the UK, but can from Thailand. They didn’t acknowledge this part at all.  

Whatever reason you give, it's the luck of the draw with the UK Embassy. 

No consistency as a colleague and I submitted identical letters. He got his letter, I was declined. See below. 

Yet America's can apply online via the US Embassy website and receive their letter within a 10 minute response time. 

"The British Embassy is unable to issue you with a letter to extend your visa in Thailand after 26th September. This is because you have not provided evidence that you are applying for a long-term visa or that you live in a country where the borders are closed or the FCDO Travel Advice advises against travel.

I am sorry this is not the response you would have hoped for but I hope you can understand we are limited in the circumstances in which we can issue these letters.

If you do not normally live in Thailand and do not have a long-term residence visa, but wish to stay in Thailand beyond the 26th September we strongly urge you confirm your visa status by that date. Given that commercial flights to UK are available and there are no restrictions on your return back to UK, if you can’t arrange for your long term stay in Thailand by e.g. getting work etc, you should make a plan to return home before your current Thai visa expires". 

Kind Regards,

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Thaiforum said:

If you do not normally live in Thailand and do not have a long-term residence visa, but wish to stay in Thailand beyond the 26th September we strongly urge you confirm your visa status by that date. Given that commercial flights to UK are available and there are no restrictions on your return back to UK, if you can’t arrange for your long term stay in Thailand by e.g. getting work etc, you should make a plan to return home before your current Thai visa expires". 

Kind Regards,

What a dishonest response. I'd reply back and comment that there are restrictions - a 2 week mandatory quarantine for anyone arriving from Thailand.

Edited by 2530Ubon
spelling error

11 minutes ago, hanuman2 said:

Quick question. Does the letter from the embassy need to be translated into Thai before submitting it to the immigration office or will they accept the original English language version?

No need for a translation if it is in English.

• Like 1

Got my covid letter now,

one thing I’m wondering are they going to give us 15 days and say come back and get the other 15? (Hassle and about extra pointless trip yes)

im sure that’s what they did last time and it was a visa under consideration stamp when I gave them a covid letter last time.

ubonjoe or anyone who knows ?

3 minutes ago, Jackcwba said:

one thing I’m wondering are they going to give us 15 days and say come back and get the other 15? (Hassle and about extra pointless trip yes)

It appears to depend upon where you apply for it at.

There have been reports for Bangkok that got a under consideration stamp.

Anyone received a response from them today yet?

I received one helpful response last Friday (11th) where they said they would be happy to assist with my extension letter (as I cannot yet get approval to go back to my country of residence). Sent away all the evidence they requested (and more!) that very same day, but no response at all since then.

Have re-sent my documents twice now even though they are under the file size limit. Only receiving the auto-response confirming the email is in their mailbox, but too nervous now with amnesty ending next week..