International Driver License

apetryxx

1 hour ago, apetryxx said:

Can anyone give me guidance on whether or not one can obtain an International Driver License using a Thai Driver License? If so where does one apply for it?

The question resurfaces from time to time.

As far as I know nothing has changed with the procedure.

See the thread below from 2016.

And it is not limited to Thai citizens, just Thai driving license (not temporary license) is needed.

To my understanding you can apply at every DLT office.

But not sure, maybe need to visit a central office for your region.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Do you have a 5 year or 2 year license?

IDP can only be obtained with a 5 year thai license.

Also I think one cannot drive in a foreign country using a 2 year Thai driving license.

When I applied for an IDP at Udom Suk, needed a residence certificate, photo, a 5 year thai driving license and a completed application form.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

"...is perfectly valid for a visitor to the UK to use to drive there".

As long as that visitor isn't a Briton and doesn't have a UK driving licence.  A Thai IDP/licence (or any other) cannot take precedence over a UK licence for a British resident holding a UK licence.

It would work for a Briton without a UK license, yes? Assuming they are not without a UK license because it has been revoked.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stouricks said:

There is NO SUCH THING as an International Driviver LICENCE. Search the term here on TV to see previous posts about this.

You CAN get an International Drivers PERMIT, ie a translation of your local licence into various languages. I guess the drivering centre in you local area would be the place to go.

You should tell them...

1766508191_IntlDL.JPG.ba5fe11cf9212ec3993858784269c396.JPG

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
1 hour ago, Hi Tea said:

As long as that visitor isn't a Briton and doesn't have a UK driving licence.  A Thai IDP/licence (or any other) cannot take precedence over a UK licence for a British resident holding a UK licence.

It would work for a Briton without a UK license, yes? Assuming they are not without a UK license because it has been revoked.

Yes, it would. 

A revoked UK licence wouldn't affect the validity of a Thai licence which is acceptable in the UK.

6 minutes ago, Hi Tea said:

Yes, it would. 

A revoked UK licence wouldn't affect the validity of a Thai licence which is acceptable in the UK.

It's hard to believe you can lose your UK license for drunk driving, then get a Thai license and use it to drive in the UK legally. 

Seems that would be an industry...

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Could not get any UK car insurance company to provide cover for Thai lady with 5 year Thai licence and International permit. Only EU licence holders could be insured.

2 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

Do be a bit careful about this one. A British national can use his Thai licence if, a. he does not hold a UK licence or b. the UK licence that he does hold does not have a current valid address. In fact it would be an offence to use the UK licence.

So if one has sold up and doesn't have a UK address, the Thai licence is the one to use. And as mentioned previously, an IDP is not required.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Longchop said:

Could not get any UK car insurance company to provide cover for Thai lady with 5 year Thai licence and International permit. Only EU licence holders could be insured.

Is that because they are a woman, a Thai or both?

I would bet you are just making this up. Were this true, they would not be able to rent a car in the UK.

To be clear,  no one could drive in the UK on a Thai license in indefinitely.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You can drive in the US on a Thai DL. but car rental can be something of a crapshoot. If you are going rent a car, make sure you confirm your DL information when you book it to avoid any idiocy at the the rental office...

A fee years back, I got a deal from rentalcars.com for a car in the US  in which I was REQUIRED to have a foreign driver's license. Unfortunately, I failed to read the fine print and left my Thai DL at home, so voided the deal and paid full walk-in rates. 

7 minutes ago, LawrenceN said:

A fee years back, I got a deal from rentalcars.com for a car in the US  in which I was REQUIRED to have a foreign driver's license. Unfortunately, I failed to read the fine print and left my Thai DL at home, so voided the deal and paid full walk-in rates. 

Same thing happened to me, ergo my comment....

I always carry both anyway. Lucked out renewing my CA this year. Was supposed to have to go in but due to covid just had to do it online again. 

I had an  Autopia driver license from Disneyland that I used when I got stopped out in Prachinburi a few times....

Not all Land Transport Offices (LTO) issue the International Driving Permit (IDP) which under an International Convention may be required to use your Thai driving license in another country. Whether it is required will depend on the laws of the country where you plan to drive.  Basically, it is a translation of your driving license into English and some other languages.  Under the Convention, the IDP must be accompanied by your domestic license (in this case the Thai driving license) to be valid.

For those living in Pattaya, it can be obtained at the provincial LTO in Chonburi - not the Banglamung District LTO where one would obtain a Thai driving license.  There is some very good information on this website about obtaining an IDP in Chonburi: https://yourpattaya.com/driver-license-international-thailand.html

16 hours ago, JamesH said:

Does anyone know if the International Driving Permit (IDP)  applicatiion form is available to download online in Thailand?

A International driving permit has to be sourced from the country your license is from.. I got mine from my automobile association in Australia.. online application.. the problem now is that there is very limited overseas mail delivery.. getting it here is the problem.. 

15 minutes ago, Laza 45 said:

A International driving permit has to be sourced from the country your license is from.. I got mine from my automobile association in Australia.. online application.. the problem now is that there is very limited overseas mail delivery.. getting it here is the problem.. 

I have been getting regular mail from Australia seems to be taking about a week longer and some from the U.K.

Sending it to Australia from here is a different story certainly the cost.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

It's hard to believe you can lose your UK license for drunk driving, then get a Thai license and use it to drive in the UK legally. 

Seems that would be an industry...

In Thailand the pints are smaller

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Is that because they are a woman, a Thai or both?

I would bet you are just making this up. Were this true, they would not be able to rent a car in the UK.

To be clear,  no one could drive in the UK on a Thai license in indefinitely.

This is true, UK insurance companies do not accept Thai licence, the only way a Thai can be legal in UK is to rent a car, car rental companies have special policies to cover international tourists.

Personally I have a motor traders policy for 40 years and have added extra drivers many times with no problems but they would not accept a Thai licence and my broker could not find an other company who would. E U licence only.

• Confused 1

23 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Also worth pointing out (from the link) that a Thai driver's licence does have an English translation so is perfectly valid for a visitor to the UK to use to drive there.

Only for a limited time, I think. Same with the IDP. 

18 hours ago, Hi Tea said:

Not sure what you mean there.  When I hired a car in the UK a few years back, I used my Taiwan DL not my valid UK one. No issue at all. I had forgotten to take my UK DL but had my Taiwan DL with me, so I had no option, but I was never asked.  Just had to produce my UK passport with it at the rental desk.