Another Mosquito Thread

brianwl

Ok, I was in Thailand for 3 months last year. I tried all the repellents I could find there and not a one of them kept these little !@###$%^ away.

I know DEET works and I know it's disadvantages too. So, I'll be bringing a supply of Deep Woods Off with me when I move in Sept.

Now, here's an interesting question. A Thai I was chatting with online said if you want to keep the mozies away from your house to plant Lemon Grass all around it. Anyone have any in put on that idea? Ever tried it?

There are several varieties of lemongrass ตะไคร้ of which two are used primarily in cooking and production of medicines and one, Cymbopogon nardus ตะไคร้หอม is the major source of the citronella used in mossie repellant, soaps, and other non-gastronomic uses. You can tell the difference between the lemon grass for use in food, and that for citronella, by the colour of the lower stems. You generally eat the white stemmed variety and sniff the red one.

Planting Cymbopogon nardus the red stemmed variety will have a definite effect on your local mossie population. The white stemed type, considerably less so.

If you need shade, a tree to consider is the Neem tree, Azadirachta indica a fast growing tree that both contains a powerful insecticide and keeps mossies at bay.

I picked up a bottle of citronella based spray from a temporary thai products stall in carrefour. It worked well enough for me; and I'd rather avoid the deet products - which also work for me. Is there a shop in Chiang Mai which stocks these citronella products?

Citronella sprays are a local product. They are avaliable at almost every pharmacy and most health food shops.

Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Are the products much the same or is there one accepted as the best, if so what and where to buy it?

Some people swear eating Marmite stops the little suckers from biting you.Cant say ive tried.

anyone else heard of this or tried it?

Not heard about Marmite specifically but, by extension, I can see how it might/would deter them. It's made from yeast extract which is loaded with B vitamins - particularly B-12 - which many people seem to find effective as a repellent (basically, the mossies don't like the smell of you). I guess the same is true of Vegemite. Taking brewer's yeast tablets daily is a good alternative - and they're good for your red blood cells. Works for me.

Some people swear eating Marmite stops the little suckers from biting you.Cant say ive tried.

anyone else heard of this or tried it?

Not heard about Marmite specifically but, by extension, I can see how it might/would deter them. It's made from yeast extract which is loaded with B vitamins - particularly B-12 - which many people seem to find effective as a repellent (basically, the mossies don't like the smell of you). I guess the same is true of Vegemite. Taking brewer's yeast tablets daily is a good alternative - and they're good for your red blood cells. Works for me.

I guess drinking 6 bottles of beer has the same effect, by the time you finish the last beer, you wont feel a thing :o

For me citronella-based repellants work for a very short time only, perhaps a half hour or less. Planting lemongrass has neglible effect in my experience. Perhaps if you planted it in a circle and sat in the centre ... :o

i use a lotion made by SOFFELL. Its available most places and comes in either pink,orange or green bottles.The green one says citronella on the front but when you look at the ingredients on the back you will see it contains 13% deet.As do the other two colours.

it is however, by far the most effective repellent ive used and ive tried most.Smells nice too.

i use a lotion made by SOFFELL. Its available most places and comes in either pink,orange or green bottles.The green one says citronella on the front but when you look at the ingredients on the back you will see it contains 13% deet.As do the other two colours.

it is however, by far the most effective repellent ive used and ive tried most.Smells nice too.

Yes that's a very good one, works well and doubles as a skin softener.

The best I've found locally -- most effective and easiest to use -- is Jaico brand. Comes in a convenient roll-on bottle so no need to get it on your fingers. 25% DEET as I recall, includes plant ingredients so it doesn't smell too bad.

A thread on dengue fever referred to an official american agency website among whose prevention tips for mosquitos is 'oil of lemon eucalyptus'. Does this have any botanical relationship to citronella? If not how can one get this and 'kill 2 birds with one stone' - presuming the non-dengue mosquito won't like it either.

A thread on dengue fever referred to an official american agency website among whose prevention tips for mosquitos is 'oil of lemon eucalyptus'. Does this have any botanical relationship to citronella? If not how can one get this and 'kill 2 birds with one stone' - presuming the non-dengue mosquito won't like it either.

Try Google, lots of info out there. It's eucalyptus citriodora, not related to lemongrass per se though its primary oil is similar to citronella. Never tried it, hope it works better than citronella, which I have found to be a weak and short-lasting repellant.

This horticultural site says the oil may be mutagenic, ie potentially cancer-promoting.

The same appears to be true for citronella oil in general. The EU banned citronella from insecticides and insect repellants in 2006.

From CBC news:

'Pure citronella oil should not be directly put on the skin. It's been known to increase the heart rate of some people. It should be mixed and used only externally.

However, Health Canada says it is concerned about large amounts of citronella products being applied to skin in the form of insect repellent. The agency completed a re-evaluation of citronella insect repellents in 2004 and found there was still "a high degree of uncertainty about its safety." Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency is proposing phasing out citronella-based repellent.

How effective is citronella?

DEET, or N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide, is acknowledged as the most effective mosquito repellent. DEET is the active ingredient in most insect repellent products. It doesn't kill bugs, but its vapours discourage them from landing or climbing on you.

A 2002 study by the University of North Carolina and the University of Florida (published in the New England Journal of Medicine), found that products containing about 24 per cent DEET protected people for almost four hours. By contrast, products with citronella provided just 19 minutes of protection. The study said the most effective natural repellents contained eucalyptus oil, which provided almost two hours of protection from bugs.'

Personally I think the risks of long-term (and potentially fatal) harm from dengue fever, DHF, JE and malaria outweighs any risk DEET itself poses.

Thank you for your research, sabaijee.

Of course I agree that one should use a repellant no matter its slight risks rather than be exposed to dengue fever, malaria etc.

The question is which repellant is the least risky. There doesn't seem to be a clear consensus on this, especially now that the extracts you cite attribute risk to citronella; which surprized me - I expected that a natural product widely used here as elsewhere would be free of risks. Is its toxicity/carcinogenicity more or less than deet's?

The canadian report appears to say that eucalyptus oil is the most effective and no reports says it carries risk. So this appears the best choice. Where to find it? In Thailand or elsewhere?

Hey, not only is DEET an effective mosquito repellant, it is also a very good VARNISH REMOVER (!!).

Applied Sketolene last night liberally to my legs. Didn't get a bite all night.

But when I woke up in the morning, noticed 2 large dark brown patches of skin on both knees.

Wouldn't come off in the shower, etc. What is it? Some dreaded tropical skin disease? Age spots (God Forbid)?

No, the DEET dissolved the varnish off the bar I had my knees pressed against last night :D

Took 15 minutes with a brush and rubbing alcohol to get the crud off..... :o

Hey, not only is DEET an effective mosquito repellant, it is also a very good VARNISH REMOVER (!!).

Applied Sketolene last night liberally to my legs. Didn't get a bite all night.

But when I woke up in the morning, noticed 2 large dark brown patches of skin on both knees.

Wouldn't come off in the shower, etc. What is it? Some dreaded tropical skin disease? Age spots (God Forbid)?

No, the DEET dissolved the varnish off the bar I had my knees pressed against last night :D

Took 15 minutes with a brush and rubbing alcohol to get the crud off..... :o

55555555!

When I was bicycling, I was getting bitten through the lycra shorts. So, brilliant me, I slapped some DEET on top of the shorts without thinking. And within minutes, my bottom cheeks were showing through the fabric!

Tip of a friend and it worked.....

cheap body lotion or cream mix with juice of 2-3 lemons

Moistures the skin and keeps the mosq away

Repeatingly putting on Deet is not good for the skin same for citronella based products

The lemongrass you need to cut fequently (just the top) to keep the mosqs out

Or burn it on the bbq

J

There are several varieties of lemongrass ตะไคร้ of which two are used primarily in cooking and production of medicines and one, Cymbopogon nardus ตะไคร้หอม is the major source of the citronella used in mossie repellant, soaps, and other non-gastronomic uses. You can tell the difference between the lemon grass for use in food, and that for citronella, by the colour of the lower stems. You generally eat the white stemmed variety and sniff the red one.

Planting Cymbopogon nardus the red stemmed variety will have a definite effect on your local mossie population. The white stemed type, considerably less so.

If you need shade, a tree to consider is the Neem tree, Azadirachta indica a fast growing tree that both contains a powerful insecticide and keeps mossies at bay.

Good stuff P1P.......so where do I get this lemon grass.....does all gardeners have it ......or can I buy seeds ?

Thanks

Do you know the thai name for the neem tree or would i just say "Mai Neem"