Renew UK passport.

4 hours ago, Niramom said:

What is the best way to renew my UK passport when living in Thailand.

Thank you.

John

The British Embassy takes no part in passport renewal. VFS in the Trendy Building in Bangkok do it. Look on GOVUK passport   renewal and follow the instructions for Thailand. It is taking 8 weeks at present. There is no other way.

Edited by pontious
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pontious said:

The British Embassy takes no part in passport renewal. VFS in the Trendy Building in Bangkok do it. Look on GOVUK passport   renewal and follow the instructions for Thailand. It is taking 8 weeks at present. There is no other way.

Is that 8 weeks after handing in the application?
If so then I wonder what happens if you do not have your passport back in time to do a 90 day report?

1 minute ago, Amusements said:

Is that 8 weeks after handing in the application?
If so then I wonder what happens if you do not have your passport back in time to do a 90 day report?

1. You time the application just after your last 90 day report.

2. Applying in person you retain your expiring passport.

3.Applying through an agent, they retain your expiring passport.

• Like 2

Just now, hotandsticky said:

1. You time the application just after your last 90 day report.

2. Applying in person you retain your expiring passport.

3.Applying through an agent, they retain your expiring passport.

I started the process straight after my 90 day report, which is why I want to know if the 8 weeks is after the application, because the application interview has almost a months waiting time + I used an agent, so I do not have my passport.

1 minute ago, Amusements said:

I started the process straight after my 90 day report, which is why I want to know if the 8 weeks is after the application, because the application interview has almost a months waiting time + I used an agent, so I do not have my passport.

There is no such thing as an interview; an appointment is made (by giving 3 dates of your choice - usually a week ahead if the agent is any good). The 8 weeks quoted is from date of submission at VfS.... but invariably they are quicker.

The agent should know if your next 90 day report is likely to be missed and they can hand back/EMS the pld passport to you............................or, as advised above, do your 90 day report online.

• Like 1

I applied for a new passport (reason- no pages remaining) at trendy building in November (2019). The process is very simple and lightning fast. Fill in the forms and provide two photographs, I got my photo's at trendy building for 200 baht. My passport was only 6 years old and i look roughly the same, so i didn't need to have the pictures co-signed. You can use a thai bank account to fill in the debit form, i used my Krungsri account to pay for it. The help desk has moved - it is very small and easy to miss. It is in the middle of the square and is only a 2 person booth, so you'll need to look for it a little. Go up to the 8th floor and within 5 minutes your application is complete. They do not take the payment the same day, so make sure you leave funds in the bank for a few days.

They do not keep your passport, when you collect your new passport, they will cut the corner off the old one. If, like me, you live up-country, you can pay a courier to collect your passport. Luckily i have a friend in Phatum Thani, he collected and posted the passport to me in Ubon so i didn't have to go myself. For this, you need a photocopy ID of the person collecting your passport - you need to sign this paper and write your name etc. Sign that this person is allowed to collect your passport. Give them your old passport + the email that they will send you when your passport is ready for collection. 

11 days later i recieved my new passport, with my new unsigned photo. I couldn't believe how easy and fast the process was. Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by 2530Ubon
missing information
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I applied for a new passport (reason- no pages remaining) at trendy building in November (2019). The process is very simple and lightning fast. Fill in the forms and provide two photographs, I got my photo's at trendy building for 200 baht. My passport was only 6 years old and i look roughly the same, so i didn't need to have the pictures co-signed. You can use a thai bank account to fill in the debit form, i used my Krungsri account to pay for it. The help desk has moved - it is very small and easy to miss. It is in the middle of the square and is only a 2 person booth, so you'll need to look for it a little. Go up to the 8th floor and within 5 minutes your application is complete. They do not take the payment the same day, so make sure you leave funds in the bank for a few days.

11 days later i recieved my new passport, with my new unsigned photo. I couldn't believe how easy and fast the process was. Hope this helps, good luck!

.... and it REALLY is as smooth and simple as that (in most cases).

The only challenge is completing the application form correctly, supplying acceptable evidence of address and photocopying every page of the existing passport.......and, of course, getting to Bangkok and back if you live out of town and are not using an agent.

The card payment is processed when the application reaches the desk of HMPO Liverpool.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

.... and it REALLY is as smooth and simple as that (in most cases).

The only challenge is completing the application form correctly, supplying acceptable evidence of address and photocopying every page of the existing passport. - 

For evidence of address, i paid 100 baht to have a bank statement printed and stamped in branch (Krungsri). You can also use any mobile phone bill from the major phone carriers, or you can pay to translate a copy of your rental agreement. The bank statement is by far the easiest and quickest method. I also photocopied - in colour - every page at Trendy building, the same place where i got my photo taken. Get your photos and photocopying done on the 5th floor. Your photocopies must be in colour

Edited by 2530Ubon

52 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Not in Thailand.

I assume he meant the 90 day report which you can do online (easy and no need to have passport in your possession), not the passport renewal which unlike NZ etc you cannot do online. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pontious said:

No reason for the agent to keep it. Say you want it back. You can give, send it back to them when VFS says the new one has arrived.

Depends where you are and it depends where the agent is. Both in Pattaya, OK. It works less well if you are based in, say, Khon Kaen and you are using an agent.

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

Did you get them from a machine? Or did VFS take them for you? 

On the 5th floor, there are lot's of little offices that will do all your photocopying and take photo's for you - no machine. They do it with a camera and print them. They will fill in the application forms for you too for a fee!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2020 at 1:53 PM, pontious said:

of course the Embassy don't do it, if they did, they may have to do some productive work for UK citizens and that would never do.  They do sweet fxxk all that's useful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1