What is being done about plastic over use?

jomtien99

On 9/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, varun said:

Absolutely nothing - until the 7/11's & hyper-mart chains stop giving out plastic bags like confetti,

nothing will change.

True watershed moment if that happens - wishful thinking.

In the new Big C restaurant yesterday . knife,fork spoon came in a clear plastic bag,and there were four of use. 4 plastic bags  left on the table when we left. No doubt to be put in the bin.

• Like 1

All this while I thought they had started using bio-degradable plastic bags that disintegrate and harmless to the soil.  ???- no? nothing of this sort- just a fancy story to cheer you up a bit?

May be saw dust can be glue to make a compact disc for the cover of drinks cup.

I was working as a free lance interpreter for a Japanese Glue Company and I accompany a Japanese to interpret from Japanese to Chinese and vice-versa. The Japanese company was trying to sell glue to all these Ply-wood factories. This glue is used to glue layers of wood together to make ply-wood. Those factories making soft board(for notice board etc.,) will grind those palm trees trunk into powder and glue them together to make soft board. So I don't see why they can't make cups and covers from these cheap materials. The inside of the cup could be line with paper.

It will be bio-degradable of course- it's from palm trees. Or may be from bamboo sawdusts or wood sawdusts.

We should really stop using so much plastic.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wombat said:

i would suggest the power of one be engaged to help overcome over use 

For every piece of garbage you pick off the beach weigh that with the 14 billion pounds of trash that will get dumped into the oceans this year. Next year will be more. It is absolutely futile to try to fix this problem by picking up items washed up on a beach. Worse than that it may be an own goal. If the common people see clean beaches and don't see the trash strewn everywhere they may be less interested in doing anything. If someone wants to make a difference, direct all energy towards stopping the littering. Before the cleanup can begin, the littering must end. The other way around doesn't work. Don't waste your abilities on a doomed strategy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, poloshirt said:

So I don't see why they can't make cups and covers from these cheap materials.

They already do, but it isn't as cheap and thus 99.99% of the people will say no and demand their cheap plastic. As people have said, tough laws are probably the only way to get results. That probably won't happen and people will look back at our generation and wonder why we polluted so much and cared so little.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:57 AM, varun said:

Absolutely nothing - until the 7/11's & hyper-mart chains stop giving out plastic bags like confetti,

nothing will change.

True watershed moment if that happens - wishful thinking.

Supermarkets and 7/11s don't give you plastic bags for a long time now.

• Thanks 1

Simple...

Require plastic manufacturers worldwide to mark their company ID on every piece of plastic they make.  The technology is easily available, and generally not so expensive in the scheme of things.  Then send them a bill every time one of their products shows up in a landfill.  Send them a bigger bill if it shows up on the beach.  Have Customs refuse any imports that show up without the markings.  They'll have to pass the cost onto their customers who use the plastic for packaging.  That'll drive up the cost of plastic packaged products.  Then someone will come up with an alternative that costs less from cradle to grave.

Yes it is true that solutions are there and they can be simple, but that doesn't matter. The problem we face now is no one wants a solution. Almost everyone is totally content the oceans are full of garbage and plastic is burned into an unhealthy smog and thrown all over the place. As can be seen people won't change on their own, don't want educated, and it would be very unpopular to use laws against something that almost everyone is totally fine with or is actively participating in. This is the nature of the people of the world we live in. Not everyone thinks like you or I, far from it.

On 9/11/2020 at 9:18 AM, jomtien99 said:

It seems the Government paid lip service to appease some people by banning plastic bags last year but, they really have not scratched the surface.

Do what you can, sleep peacefully at night and don't stress.

On 9/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, Max69xl said:

The only solution imo is bio-degradable plastic

There are way better options. Bio-plastics wouldn't even be in my vocabulary. 

On 9/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, Max69xl said:

A bit more expensive

And that is the simple answer why such things are not used. People want cheap. They don't care about saving the environment. The answer to 99% of the questions in the world is money.