VFS APPOINTMENTS UK PASSPORT RENEWALS

Not only are VFS operational Mon/Wed/Fri, but there is now a 3 week backlog for fixing renewal appointments. Given the time it will take HMPO to issue a new passport ( and I believe they are only working 2 days a week) and then return it to VFS, from where it has to be collected, whether you live in Chiang Mai or Phuket or wherever and the need to fit the renewal in between 90 day reporting, this is a very sorry state of affairs

Clearly neither VFS nor HMPO give a toss!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

and the need to fit the renewal in between 90 day reporting

You keep the passport. If you use an agent tell them you want it EMS back to you after they have applied. You should have it to comply with the emergency decree.

2 hours ago, pontious said:

You keep the passport. If you use an agent tell them you want it EMS back to you after they have applied. You should have it to comply with the emergency decree.

Now you are making things up...................... absolutely nothing to do with the emergency decree - that has changed nothing about passport requirements. However, it may just be a salutary reminder to the smart ar5es who think they can post their passports to the UK to circumvent the system.

I had my appointment confirmed yesterday. The earliest available date is 2nd October at the moment so, allowing for the current 6-8 week turn around time, you'll need to allow at least three months in total.

As others have said, your existing passport is returned at the application stage so there's no problem doing 90 day reports. Or better still, just do your reports on line. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

I had my appointment confirmed yesterday. The earliest available date is 2nd October at the moment so, allowing for the current 6-8 week turn around time, you'll need to allow at least three months in total.

As others have said, your existing passport is returned at the application stage so there's no problem doing 90 day reports. Or better still, just do your reports on line. 

Even better do it 6 months prior to it running out as I did. You don't lose anything as they add the 6 months onto your new passport. As the above post you can run off your old passport doing your 90 day reports, till the new one arrives.

1 hour ago, fredob43 said:

Even better do it 6 months prior to it running out as I did. You don't lose anything as they add the 6 months onto your new passport. As the above post you can run off your old passport doing your 90 day reports, till the new one arrives.

Renewing a UK passport earlier than the expiry date no longer gives any additional period to the 10 year passport validity period of the new passport.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/14/uk-passports-could-lose-up-to-nine-months-validity-after-rule-change

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

Renewing a UK passport earlier than the expiry date no longer gives any additional period to the 10 year passport validity period of the new passport.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/14/uk-passports-could-lose-up-to-nine-months-validity-after-rule-change

Thanks for the update B/H. I didn't know it had changed. I just quoted what it was when I did mine 18th Aug 2017. Runs out on 18th May 2028. I think that's 8 months more.

Real pain in the Butt as you need around a year before it runs out to get your 1 year Visa. Whatever I'll worry about that in 7 years time.