help with new born Birth certificate as father

Timmay

Hi I’m an Australian citizen and never traveled overseas before, my partners a duel citizen.she traveled back to Thailand (Bangkok) for her grandfathers funeral end of January then flight ban because of covid 19 and couldn’t return when flight ban was lifted and gave birth on 15th of August, we having trouble with getting me as the father on the newborns birth Certificate.I don’t have have a passport. Any help would be greatly appreciated I need to know the process and What documents I need to prove that I’m the father ???  I have been to department of foreign affairs and trade to certify my birth certificate and is signatured, sealed and stamped by the officer on duty then took that same document to the Royal Thai consulate in Aus and they signed and stamped, i also took photo front and back of my Drivers licence and signed my signature and a copy of my birth certificate and emailed PDF files to my partner TIA

Edited by Timmay

Congratulations!

I had to do something similar with my first born (however I had a passport) back in 2004. Documentation was faxed to the hospital, and that was sufficient to get me listed as the father (obviously with the mother's consent).

Later when I was able to travel to Thailand, I petitioned for my daughter to get US citizenship using her Thai birth certificate, among other docs.

I think you will okay.

Edited by Gumballl

33 minutes ago, Timmay said:

...I have been to department of foreign affairs and trade to certify my birth certificate and is signatured, sealed and stamped by the officer on duty then took that same document to the Royal Thai consulate in Aus and they signed and stamped, i also took photo front and back of my Drivers licence and signed my signature and a copy of my birth certificate and emailed PDF files to my partner

In Thailand, the passport is the father's standard identification document for a birth registration. You now need to wait and see if the office responsible for the registration of the birth in Thailand will be satisfied with the documents you have supplied. If it is not, I suggest that you seek the advice of the Thai consulate on how to proceed further.

• Like 1

from what you said you have done, i would have thought that would be enough to prove your ID. usual in thailand is to ask for the foreigners passport, so if thats all they know of and are used to (in Thailand) having, then your partner needs to find someone who knows otherwise. 

obviously you could apply for a passport? fastrack it if thats possible in AUS? 

as i say, it's what is 'normally' produced and accepted. i agree that your birth cert and photo ID should do the same job. good luck with the red tape.

edit- read through op again. it's not a case of proving you are the father, the mother declares that. proof you exist and are a real person is needed. as i say, what you have done should be enough.

edit no.2- congratulations btw

edit no.3- be prepared to send originals, dhl or fedex work well.

Edited by jastheace

On 9/12/2020 at 11:27 PM, Timmay said:

What documents I need to prove that I’m the father ?

As @jastheace wrote - you registered on the birth certificate is not proof of being the biological father of the child. Moreover, in Thailand, if you're not officially married to the mother you don't have parental rights over the child

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:27 PM, Timmay said:

...we having trouble with getting me as the father on the newborns birth Certificate.I don’t have have a passport. Any help would be greatly appreciated I need to know the process and What documents I need to prove that I’m the father ???

Congratulation.

Your partner would normally need a copy of your passport to have your name on the birth certificate, it can be often be a fax copy, but it might depend on the local district office (tessa ban) what they demand, not all are equal.

If you wish you child to have your family name you'll need an authorized translation to Thai of your passport's name- and identification page.

However, with birth the 15th of August you seem to have passed the birth certificate registration window; i.e. the mother will already have registered the newborn child. However, name – or transcription errors – on a birth certificate can be corrected later. Your name on a birth certificate is no proof of being father to a Thai child, if you are not legally married to the mother by time of birth. You will either need a DNA test and court order to prove that you are father – I have no personal experience, but there are other threads in the forums here about it – or when the child is seven years old, or older, go to the local amphor district office together with your child and the mother, and all confirm that you are the father. You'll receive a confirmation letter from the amphor office, which can be verified for application of citizenship/dual nationality in your home country, depending of your home country's rules (my home country is very strict, others seems to be more relaxed with documentation)...????