Honda City RS vs Nissan Almera VL

lorbhaim

Considering a new car models.

Honda City  RS        vs        Nissan Almera  VL CVT

Which new car would you prefer/recommend/choose? Via Safety, riding and long time reliability?

Both have the same engine size  1.0L Turbo But the Honda has much more power.

How come? pros and cons. I guess both car companies have highly talented engineers.      

The Honda costs more 100,000 B. about 15% = 3K $. How does this change your reply?

Spec links:  https://www.honda.co.th/city?                                                                    

https://en.nissan.co.th/vehicles/new-vehicles/almera/specifications.html#grade-28968-4?

I would much rather by the bottom end of a larger platform, than buy the top model of a smaller platform.

Honda's perceived quality is better than Nissan's and is the resale value. Go look at them, sit in them and drive them a buy what you like. They'll likely both be good cars. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

With Nissan in a bit of trouble as a brand, and Chevrolet already gone, I would stick with Honda as it’s unlikely they will pull out of thailand any time soon. I would definitely have an HRV over a City though, I am sure one model will be in budget

honda city 680,000 to 740,000thb crv 1,370,000 to 1,760,000thb 

almera 500,000 to 640,000thb

i have owned the older 1500cc city for 12 years and replaced it with the almera sportech, 1200cc, i think the city was a better car in 12 years only replaced, 2 x wheel bearings, tyres and battery in 120,000km, the almera is a bigger car have in 30 months now done 40,000km,servicing only, its a little under powered, and the sports button is required for hills and overtaking, which has to be planned. the finish is better on the honda, the jazz still comes with the 1.500cc engine, if a large boot was not needed i would go for that a true, trusted and tested engine.

asto TTSissues comment about a crv, its double the price and nothing like a city, its a cross with permanent 4 wheel drive, a bigger city would be a civic like for like, but at 875,000 to 1,220,000thb a lot more money

Edited by steve187

26 minutes ago, steve187 said:

honda city 680,000 to 740,000thb crv 1,370,000 to 1,760,000thb 

almera 500,000 to 640,000thb

He said the HRV which starts at 949,000 but this is still significantly more expensive than the two mentioned. Of the two, I'd personally go for the city. That extra bit of power should make it more comfortable to drive.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, alien365 said:

He said the HRV which starts at 949,000 but this is still significantly more expensive than the two mentioned. Of the two, I'd personally go for the city. That extra bit of power should make it more comfortable to drive.

yes i missed that, as you say the HRV is a lot more money and a different type of car, 

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

Thank you - I did indeed say HRV not CRV. I appreciate it’s a little more expensive but “being in budget” doesn’t mean being the same price, it means “surely you can find a little extra” for a vastly safer and better machine. 

Having looked at both fairly closely I paid the 100k extra for the Honda WHY? It seems to be better finish inside and out other things that mattered to me was no spare wheel no cruise control with the Almera the fact that the Honda has same engine and economy but 22% more power these were amongst the items that made the Honda my choice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 9:45 AM, lorbhaim said:

The Honda costs more 100,000 B. about 15% = 3K $. How does this change your reply?

Go with the Honda every time, as for the extra at purchase it will remain on re-sale value later when the Alemra is dead.

5 hours ago, slsmith38 said:

The Nissan has plenty of power, good acceleration, is very quiet on the road and cruises very well on long runs. Personally I think the Almera feels like a bigger car, very spacious and roomy inside with big boot and is overall much better value for money than the City. 

How is the car for power with the family and luggage in? I ask as I don't know the answer but I feel this point, and breaking ability under load, could be important to the OP

Unless you're planning on selling the car in a few years, resale value is not worth much. Paying 15-20% more now in the hope that you'll get more when you sell it 10 years from now is hardly a good bet.

Buy something you like to drive and like the look and feel of and after you buy it, quit shopping.

Nissan and Honda both build great products. 

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

Thanks for all good advice.

Personally I have now an Almera 6 y 24k km.

Mechanically no any issue.  But want an upgrade.

Ride both cars. Liked them both, they present leap in class over last years. They are way over my transportation needs.

I tend to prefare the City. But dont like the leather upholstery. Tire size and price...???? 

6 minutes ago, lorbhaim said:

Ride both cars. Liked them both, they present leap in class over last years. They are way over my transportation needs.

I tend to prefare the City. But dont like the leather upholstery. Tire size and price...???? 

If Nissan's been good to you, the service has been good to you, you like the car and it's B100K less it's something of a no-brainer.

13 hours ago, lorbhaim said:

Do Nissan do a trade in option like Toyota? I currently drive a Honda and am also thinking of getting a new car soon (a similar price cracker as yours) but Honda don't offer this service. That being the case I wont automatically choose Honda again and will shop around.