Traveling to Bangkok

Susco

Tomorrow I have to be in Bangkok at midday.

I prefer not to use the big blue bus, neither the minibus kamikazes, but want to get there at an economical price.

Have to be in Sukhumvit Soi 3, but anywhere on Sukhumvit will do, as I can take the sky train for the last mile.

Need to return as well later in the afternoon.

What are my options avoiding the transportations mentioned above?

Actually 1,500 baht for personal ac travel when and where you want is not a bad price in my book.  I was paying that price for about the same distance (Bangkok-Takhli) almost 50 years ago (at night on two lane roads without ac).  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trucking said:

Avoiding large bus , mini bus , expensive taxi and walking  you have narrowed down your options to almost nothing except the train or renting a motorcycle for the day.

There is two locations just up from Big C Extra using small coaches, 180 baht to different stops in Bkk.

• Thanks 1

It seems the train is your only other option, but you won't like the timetable. Neither train gets you in until after 6 pm.

Pattaya -  Bangkok

Train Number
Type
Pattaya
Departure
Bangkok
Arrive
Timetable
Fares
Train Tracking
Ordinary
14:21
18:15
         Train No. 284
Rapid
16:26
18:55
         Train No. 998

Bangkok - Pattaya

Train Number
Type
Bangkok
Departure
Pattaya
Arrive
Timetable
Fares
Train Tracking
Ordinary
6:55
10:34
         Train No. 283
Rapid
06:45
09:13
         Train No. 997

Train No.

Km.
Fares (No Fee) : Baht
Type of train
Ordinary
First Class
Second Class
Third Class
Origin - Destination
Pattaya - Bangkok

Take a taxi and negotiate a cheaper deal. Offer 1,200 instead of 1,500 (it used to be 1,200 from the airport years ago and went up to 1,500 when fuel prices rose but didn't drop when the cost of fuel went down.)

Maybe offer 1,000 each way and you pay the tolls. I just had a lady driver take me to the Embassy and back a few days ago. I paid 3,000 round trip, she paid the gas and highway tolls.

5 hours ago, petermik said:

Try walking then....:thumbsup:

I always could use one of my two cars, as that would cost me less than 1500 Baht one way, but I don't like the traffic in Bangkok city, and additionally if I don't have to drive myself I can relax or maybe close an eye.

Thanks anyway for the sarcasm.

4 hours ago, Olmate said:

There is two locations just up from Big C Extra using small coaches, 180 baht to different stops in Bkk.

Thanks that is what I had in mind, and which went to check out already this afternoon. They go to Morchit, but I can exit at Bangna or Din Daeng, and from there take a taxi meter.

I'm also confident that these coaches are more comfortable than the 30-year-old blue buses, and will not drive kamikaze style like the 9 seater mini buses.

Strange that all the other know it alls on this forum, had to go off-topic, because, according to them, there is nothing between Big coach and minibus, and 3000 Baht retour is all peanuts for them, until they start threads where to buy the cheapest beer.

Thanks for the suggestion. By the way they charge 150 instead of 180 Baht

4 hours ago, trucking said:

Avoiding large bus , mini bus , expensive taxi and walking  you have narrowed down your options to almost nothing except the train or renting a motorcycle for the day.

Thanks for sharing your superior knowledge, but if you read a few lines higher up in this post, it is quite obvious that you were WRONG

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 2