Conflict over trucks operating between Thailand and Myanmar

webfact

Conflict over trucks operating between Thailand and Myanmar

15-Mae-Sai.jpg

File photo

Thai and Myanmar officials are in conflict over the operation of cargo trucks travelling between Thailand’s Mae Sai district of Chiang Rai province and the Thachilek township in Myanmar.

The conflict stems from an order from Mae Sai district chief officer, Prasong La-on, forbidding trucks and vans from Thachilek from entering inner areas of the Thai district, to pick up goods from various warehouses to be transported back to Myanmar, as part of the lockdown measures to prevent the possible spread of COVID-19 into Thailand.

More than 200 vans from Thachilek travel into the inner areas of Mae Sai district each day to pick up goods, as well as trucks which are allowed into the district to take fuel and construction materials back to Myanmar, on the condition that the drivers spend only seven hours on the Thai soil and do not stay overnight.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/conflict-over-trucks-operating-between-thailand-and-myanmar/

thaipbs.jpg

Always refreshing to see, when Somchai is taking things into his own hands. 

This time round, it is Mae Sai district chief officer, Prasong La-on, who has spoken. In all other countries I've been, there are laws and rules defined so by a central body - in Thailand possibly Bangkok? 

To all the Burmese doing (thriving) lifeline character business I might suggest that they might have to get bigger envelopes; the latest ones seem apparently too small - or is it my fantasy going through the roof again? 

• Like 2