Why Are Cars 2nd Hand Cars So Expensive

markg

IMHO it relates mostly to tax. One pays a relatively high tax on a new vehicle and that tax value basically does not depreciate. Add to that the restrictions and taxes associated with importing used cars into Thailand and that avenue (lowering the cost of second hand cars by importing them) of reducing the cost of second hand cars is also gone.

Certainly also relates to supply in demand (to a lesser extent than taxes). For example in the US there is quite a large segment that gets a new car (buy or lease) every two-four years. Add to that the fact that most families in the US have more than one vehicle, which eventually also leads to more second hand cars on the market. So there is a much higher supply of second hand cars. As compared to Thailand where it is not typical for a family to have a car, let alone two; And a relatively small portion of the market that can afford to get a new car every two-four years.

As for pick ups, no one in their right mind would buy a pick up as their vehicle of choice unless it was a work vehicle or they lived somewhere remote.

You have a Toyota Vigo pick-up I believe, do you use it for work, or do you live in a remote area?

I had a pick-up in Thailand and thought it was great.........city, town or country, I sold it to the Toyota dealer in Khon Kaen when I bought my Fortuner.....270,000 Baht for a Toyota Tiger 4WD 2 door, year 1999......it went to a dealer for 350,000 and he sold it to a punter for 400,000!!!! That was more than I paid for it 2 years previous!!!

Emporer Tud tends to slag off Toyota Fortuners in Thailand, and if compared with X5 BMW's one can find them lacking somewhat, but in Thailand, BMW's are so expensive, Toyota Fortuner is a good deal.

Example:

Model: BMW X5 4.4i 2002.

Price: 3,680,000.00 Baht.

Mileage: 59,600 Km.

I used to have a 7 Series BMW in UK, great car...( Unless it went wrong )....28 Pounds 50 pence per Hour plus VAT just for the labour in BMW Tunbridge Wells, and that was in 1989!!!!! then you had to pay for the parts......... :o

Happy Fortuner owner. :D

I think I have been very fair with my reviews of the Fortuner on this forum.

I do own a pick up, and this is Thailand, not Europe, so here it represents a good investment, and as well as using it for work it's also handy for the family.

It is not ideal by any standards of the imagination. It provides a harsh ride, lacks true speed, especially at low revs (mine has an extra 35bhp over standard and it is still lacklustre), noisy, difficult to park and manuever being so big (poor turning circle), it's not at all pleasurable when city driving, handling is poor (it's a pick up <deleted>), manual gearbox is functional and made to last but gearchanges can be awkward, cabin is maybe too basic for some tastes.

You get the picture.

I have no problems/complaints driving my Fortuner in the city. Is it possible you're a poor driver in traffic?

It is not ideal by any standards of the imagination. It provides a harsh ride, lacks true speed, especially at low revs (mine has an extra 35bhp over standard and it is still lacklustre), noisy, difficult to park and manuever being so big (poor turning circle), it's not at all pleasurable when city driving, handling is poor (it's a pick up <deleted>), manual gearbox is functional and made to last but gearchanges can be awkward, cabin is maybe too basic for some tastes.

You get the picture.

I have no problems/complaints driving my Fortuner in the city. Is it possible you're a poor driver in traffic?

No complaints here either. I have an "Exclusive" - silly name but I liked white and wanted all options. Cabin is excellent. It has parking sensors which make parking super-easy - visibility is indeed poor, but the rear sensors work great and allow for very precise maneuvering, as well as saving me from running backwards over a motorbike twice already. In any case I frequently drive around Chiang Mai's tiny inner city streets no problem. Turning radius is excellent for the size of the car.

No probs with speed either. And its not bumpy - it has a hard suspension which is necessary for off-roading but it has quality suspension front and back very much unlike a pick-up or pick-up based SUVs. Huge difference.

The brakes could be better but other than that... fine car.