5,000 - 7,000 baht smartphone Recommendation

scubascuba3

On 9/18/2020 at 11:23 PM, tlandtday said:

Redmi is a good brand coming from Xiaomi so I think you have software problems.  Iwould recommend resetting the phone.

Seems known issues. A factory reset is the nuclear option and is hassle, I'll wait for Xiaomi to pull their finger out and fix the problems 

Screenshot_2020-09-21-07-56-21-365_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 9/18/2020 at 11:14 AM, OneeyedJohn said:

Some people do really talk out of their rear end.

Yes, and other people do not understand that certain products have a better quality than others. This was a sponsored message from The Rear End Guy.

• Haha 1

OP did you try a hard reset as already suggested?

My Xiaomi Pocophone F1 is by far the best phone I ever owned, much better than the Samsung phones I had before.

The F1's skin is just so nice, almost pure Android, Samsung's are horrible unless they changed it on the later models, full of all kinds of bloatware?

I had many updates on it since purchasing, good on Xiaomi that they care about their customers.

My next phone will very likely be a Xiaomi

6 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

OP did you try a hard reset as already suggested?

I don't think a factory reset has ever helped before and its not simple, backups all need to be done, playlists lost. I've decided not to bother as it's a known Issue with the software, I'll wait for an update and see if that makes the phone work better, I won't buy Xiaomi again

11 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

The F1's skin is just so nice, almost pure Android, Samsung's are horrible unless they changed it on the later models, full of all kinds of bloatware?

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is also full of bloatware and everything phones home. Even rooted you can't uninstall the security centre or the phone will bootloop apparently and some people have reported you cannot even change the Gallery without issues. 

11 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

I had many updates on it since purchasing, good on Xiaomi that they care about their customers.

I have been waiting for the upgrade from Android 9 to 10 which has happened on other variants but not the Note 8 for some reason and no July or September security updates.  However with the reported issues with 10 (Miui 12) I think I will just move to a custom rom. 

Just now, topt said:

Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 is also full of bloatware and everything phones home. Even rooted you can't uninstall the security centre or the phone will bootloop apparently and some people have reported you cannot even change the Gallery without issues. 

I have been waiting for the upgrade from Android 9 to 10 which has happened on other variants but not the Note 8 for some reason and no July or September security updates.  However with the reported issues with 10 (Miui 12) I think I will just move to a custom rom. 

I am on Android 10 QKQ1 and it runs like a charm.

MIUIGlobal 11.0.9 Stable

Well when I need a new phone, I will have to check if Xiaomi is suitable or not, F1 is a sub division.

Huawei is out because of the ban from the US causing problems with Goggle Play.

15 minutes ago, guzzi850m2 said:

MIUIGlobal 11.0.9 Stable

Strange as that is what I am on but it is Android 9?

Edited by topt
Just checked online and some phones had Android 10 on Miui 11 versions

On 9/21/2020 at 7:59 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Seems known issues. A factory reset is the nuclear option and is hassle, I'll wait for Xiaomi to pull their finger out and fix the problems 

Screenshot_2020-09-21-07-56-21-365_com.android.chrome.jpg

I contacted Bryton about my cycle computer issues since buying the Xiaomi and couldn't resolve and they said most of the issues they have received are with Xiaomi phones. I reckon most of the reviews of the Redmi phones are probably fake or by fanboys

On 9/22/2020 at 5:47 PM, scubascuba3 said:

I contacted Bryton about my cycle computer issues since buying the Xiaomi and couldn't resolve and they said most of the issues they have received are with Xiaomi phones. I reckon most of the reviews of the Redmi phones are probably fake or by fanboys

Well I have bought a bunch of Redmi phones so my reviews are real. However, my daughter's note 9 is now behaving like you describe, and so there is a problem with MIUI 12 after the update. But I am sure there will be a fix coming up as well. I am going to wait for the fix.

3 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Well I have bought a bunch of Redmi phones so my reviews are real. However, my daughter's note 9 is now behaving like you describe, and so there is a problem with MIUI 12 after the update. But I am sure there will be a fix coming up as well. I am going to wait for the fix.

I have a potential fix for the apps closing, it's locking the app so it stays in recent, it's worked on some apps I'll test it Sunday for the cycling app. The Mi community response deny its the MIUI 12 update but I don't believe that. Having to lock apps so they don't close is just stupid

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 12:22 PM, 4evermaat said:

Android 10, fairly flawless, although the native camera app keeps crashing if I reload it in certain circumstances for unknown reasons.   I suspect it could be conflicting with another app, but I'm still investigating.  

Recently did a huge system update (1.5gb), bringing the security updates current to Sept 2020.  The camera crashing problem seems to have disappeared.     With that annoyance out of the way, the M31 phone is much more perfect now.

Edited by 4evermaat

I have a Xiaomi horrible phones, good value on paper but stuffed with rubbish it's hard to dump like the Mi browser and an unwanted screen which pops up with short cuts, recommended and so called advance tools. The finger recognition never did work and it often freezes on sound recording when you open it. I would never buy another Chinese phone again anyway, I don't know how anyone could

a tip, a lot of people don't know: on most android phone there are native apps which cannot be disabled or replaced by a personal choice.... at least, if you follow the normal protocol. But there's a way around it:

goto google play store. top-left has the usual 3 horizontal stripes, click or tap on them. choose "help&feedback". Then pick from the support page that opens "delete or disable apps on android". Then choose "tap to go to apllication settings".

this brings you to a menu what usually stays hidden for the user. Often you can disable apps here which came with the phone while in normal use it isn't possible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, tracker said:

a tip, a lot of people don't know: on most android phone there are native apps which cannot be disabled or replaced by a personal choice.... at least, if you follow the normal protocol. But there's a way around it:

goto google play store. top-left has the usual 3 horizontal stripes, click or tap on them. choose "help&feedback". Then pick from the support page that opens "delete or disable apps on android". Then choose "tap to go to apllication settings".

this brings you to a menu what usually stays hidden for the user. Often you can disable apps here which came with the phone while in normal use it isn't possible.

Seems to take me to the same place as settings, apps and I can disable Google Drive,  for example, but not delete it.  Thanks anyway,  as disabling is probably better than nothing.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

That takes me to the same as Settings/Apps/Apps where you can uninstall most apps, but not ones which came with the phone.

• 2 weeks later...

oppo a9 2020 is flawless, 5000 mAh battery means i can charge just 2 times/week and 8 GB RAM ensures it doesnt go into

a state of brain dead zoombie freeze trying to compute

with insufficient free memory, not now and not in the life time of the phone.

it also comes with 128 GB ROM so you wont be able to fill it

no matter how many selfies & apps you throw at it.

its rather big but that just makes it more user friendly imo.

only a phone with even bigger battery could persuade me to switch

Edited by scammed
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, mariopepper said:

Motorola G7 can be the good option for you. Cool price and easy to use.

The G7 Power is the phone I lost, very good for the money, flawless, only minor complaint was the speaker was on backside. 

The Redme Note 9 has had a system update since I bought it plus the key to get apps to stop closing is to lock them, so working OK now

On 10/18/2020 at 5:07 AM, scubascuba3 said:

The G7 Power is the phone I lost, very good for the money, flawless, only minor complaint was the speaker was on backside. 

The Redme Note 9 has had a system update since I bought it plus the key to get apps to stop closing is to lock them, so working OK now

So, would you recommend the Note 9, now?   Have the communication problems with your Bryton been resolved?  I'm after a new phone & need it to link with cycling sensors using Wahoo app.  I've read reviews of the G7 power that were critical of it's bluetooth & wifi connections, as well as below par camera.  TBH it's hard to find any cheaper phone that doesn't have a long line of critics.

51 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

So, would you recommend the Note 9, now?   Have the communication problems with your Bryton been resolved?  I'm after a new phone & need it to link with cycling sensors using Wahoo app.  I've read reviews of the G7 power that were critical of it's bluetooth & wifi connections, as well as below par camera.  TBH it's hard to find any cheaper phone that doesn't have a long line of critics.

The G7 Power Bluetooth and WiFi was fine, yes the camera wasn't top quality but certainly fine for me, no issues syncing with Bryton. Speaker on the back although not ideal better than Note 9. Battery the best I've experienced. 

Note 9 works fine now with Bryton, need to check various settings and more importantly lock the app from closing. The speaker is annoying as it's bottom right just where your finger might be or where you rest on your chest if lying down. I have 128gb 4gb memory, i think the 64gb would have been fine plus 2,000 baht cheaper

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, Orton Rd said:

I have a Xiaomi horrible phones, good value on paper but stuffed with rubbish it's hard to dump like the Mi browser and an unwanted screen which pops up with short cuts, recommended and so called advance tools. The finger recognition never did work and it often freezes on sound recording when you open it. I would never buy another Chinese phone again anyway, I don't know how anyone could

You might be able to clean it up?
I just bought an  Xiaomi X3, (7,199Baht on shopee for the 128gb) and that was stuffed with ads and recommendations. However you can easily disable them after a bit of digging, or watch some of the youtube videos that explain how to do it (this also goes for other Chinese phones). I also uninstalled a lot of preinstalled apps, and then reinstalled apps a wanted direct from the Play store to avoid any inbuilt ads.  As for a browser, I installed edge which I prefer. Now the phone is much less annoying:) 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Planning to get a phone in this price range soon but NOTHING CHINESE. 

I guess that really narrows it down a lot so what's out there that's good ? Samsung is a leading brand but which one. Nokia are sturdy. Anything else that's readily available in Thailand ?

• Like 1

My Redmi Note 9 works good now, the niggles were ironed out, that is the problem with these phones, they aren't tested fully vs say a Samsung, they have a MI community forum and you need it. So now working good, battery disappointing, I charge over night and top up during the day 1-2 times. So maybe try the Note 10 if battery is better

51 minutes ago, Denim said:

Samsung is a leading brand but which one.

Have had the S9+ since it came out (2018?). Excellent phone and likely around that price bracket by now.

Edit: just had a quick look on Lazada. Few options for them in that price range but for (allegedly) brand new genuine phone just under 11K https://www.lazada.co.th/products/original-samsung-galaxy-s9-plus-s9-g965fd-mobile-phone-snapdragon-845-62-12mp-nfc-phone-6gb-64gb-dual-i1058400100-s2362240611.html?

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

I had Redmi Note 7, great phone, no issues at all, terrific camera, yes it came with some junk stuff but I deleted the junk and disabled a couple things, very good phone. I recently gave it to my wife as her old phone was so slow, and I bought a new Redmi Note 10. Again, excellent phone for the price - 6000Bt. The camera is so good I no longer use my Sony or Fuji cameras. I have none of the issues some people have discussed here. I highly recommend Redmi Notes. Latest is the 11 with 5G.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Planning to get a phone in this price range soon but NOTHING CHINESE. 

I guess that really narrows it down a lot so what's out there that's good ? Samsung is a leading brand but which one. Nokia are sturdy. Anything else that's readily available in Thailand ?

Good man pity more don't have the same outlook. 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

My Redmi Note 9 works good now,

3 minutes ago, grain said:

I had Redmi Note 7,

Yet the question when asked by @Denim included this statement -

1 hour ago, Denim said:

but NOTHING CHINESE. 

Last time I checked Xiaomi was very much Chinese.......(I even have one for my sins.....)