Any Ideas For English Nurse Practitioner

Hi I dont know if anyone could spare me a little time and advice.My husband has worked in and out of Thailand for 10 years and has been pressing us to move permanently.I am a Nurse Practitioner,I currently diagnose,prescribe and treat minor illnesses and chronic conditions.I dont speak any Thai.Anyone have any ideas for employement.Is there a need in the expat community for english nurses or even childcare.I realise i wont be able to work in same capacity as home but could do with a little guidance.Any help greatfully recieved.thanks debbie

I'd contact the major hospitals in BKK (if that is where you are moving) such as Bamrungrad, Samitivej, BNH. You probably won't be allowed to work as a nurse (though I'm not sure of the rules) but maybe as an international patients liason or something of that nature. But you'd have to ask.

To do with childcare, I'd contact Bambi Bangkok, a organisation where (mostly) expat mothers meet, arrange activities etc. There would probably be ample opportunity to do volunteer stuff through that organisation.

Hi I dont know if anyone could spare me a little time and advice.My husband has worked in and out of Thailand for 10 years and has been pressing us to move permanently.I am a Nurse Practitioner,I currently diagnose,prescribe and treat minor illnesses and chronic conditions.I dont speak any Thai.Anyone have any ideas for employement.Is there a need in the expat community for english nurses or even childcare.I realise i wont be able to work in same capacity as home but could do with a little guidance.Any help greatfully recieved.thanks debbie

Hi Debbie, I too am a nurse and have lived in LOS for the last five years. I have been unable to find any nurse related work but maybe you will have better luck. The problem is that European/North America registration is not recognised in Thailand and vice versa (I have never seen a Thai nurse abroad) so you would need to sit the Thai exams (in Thai) to register. This would be a lot of effort for very little monetary reward and even if you do register there is no guarentee that you will actually get to nurse. I think that the suggestion of public relations by Samran is a good one and worth pursuing. The only other alternative I can think of is teaching English to nurses.

Please let me know how you get on.

I agree with Samran , but would like to add that I recently have seen Bamrungrad hospital in Bangkok advertising in the newspapers looking for English speaking staff as they seem to require all nursing staff to speak Engish.

But I think you should start by learning Thai first as this will improve your chances.

In Bangrungrad there is no shortage of people speaking Thai and English ,the international patients liasons I have seen there also speak other languages , English speaking patients are not a big deal for them. (Dutch , German , French).

Second problem is going to be a workpermit for you , this is not something they will give easly to a nurse as basicly they only give workpermits to people who do jobs that no Thai citizen can do.

Also you would need to move to Thailand on a other type of visa then a tourist visa.

Spend some time reading here in the visa section of this forum to learn about the pitfalls of moving to LOS.

Jobs at Bamrungrad >

http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailand-hospita...ilename=job.asp

As you can see here most nursing jobs are for Thai Nationals only.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Try contacting International SOS, they are a medical assistance company and they operate an alarm center here in Bangkok. I know my doctor friend got a position there, not sure if they take nurses or nurse practitioners in Bangkok, but would think they should since the job mainly is over the phone coordinating patient care for expats. Try them at www.internationalsos.com and PM me as well.

Dan

Pharma companies are looking for CRA's a lot in Thailand now but you will probably need Thai.

In other countries these would often be ex-nurses but the company I know best in Thailand always goes for Thai's with oversea's degree's and none I know are nurses.

As the ones I do know are being called by headhunters a lot and with a lot of trials going on in Thailand due to cost this might open up?

• 4 months later...
I agree with Samran , but would like to add that I recently have seen Bamrungrad hospital in Bangkok advertising in the newspapers looking for English speaking staff as they seem to require all nursing staff to speak Engish.

But I think you should start by learning Thai first as this will improve your chances.

In Bangrungrad there is no shortage of people speaking Thai and English ,the international patients liasons I have seen there also speak other languages , English speaking patients are not a big deal for them. (Dutch , German , French).

Second problem is going to be a workpermit for you , this is not something they will give easly to a nurse as basicly they only give workpermits to people who do jobs that no Thai citizen can do.

Also you would need to move to Thailand on a other type of visa then a tourist visa.

Spend some time reading here in the visa section of this forum to learn about the pitfalls of moving to LOS.

Jobs at Bamrungrad >

http://www.bumrungrad.com/thailand-hospita...ilename=job.asp

As you can see here most nursing jobs are for Thai Nationals only.

I love how they list "sanuk sanuk" in their list of benefits. :-P