Yangon Hotel

Any recommendations for a hotel in Yangon? never been and would like to go for 2-3 days. Rustic hotel OK, prefer more traditional archtecture

I don't know if I would go so far as to recommend a particular hotel (you don't say what you want to spend for a start) but there is the...

Yoma Hotel, which is reasonable in price. They have 2 hotels of the same name, one near the airport and one downtown.

But really why don't you get yourself to a Mandalay Airlines office and get one of the travel brochures.

You can e-mail them (hotels) get prices etc.

Savoy Hotel is good, location decent, and their bar is small but nice atmosphere for happy hour every night. Send Alex (alexander Voegl, GM) an email on the address below to see what rates he can do for you.

[email protected]

If you're after rustic - the Inya Lake Hotel might be an idea. They were recently taken over by Dusit, have had some renovations, but the room rates are reasonable so far as I recall. Try and contact the hotel directly for their email reservations and ask them for a quote, but I shouldnt think it would be more than USD$50, as it was last time I checked.

I mainly stay in serviced apartments, such as Sakura Residence or Grand Mee Ya Hta. The latter is right in the heart of downtown, next door to the Bogyoke Market and within walking distance of the whole of downtown.

PM me if you want more info, also latest info on bars/restaurants. We Yangon expats are a fickle group, and move our evening allegiances from place to place depending on which bar/restaurant gives us the best deal/food/service at the time.....

Grand Plaze Parkroyal hotel- rooms run between 45$ and 85$. Great hotel, and has one of the best buffet breakfasts i've come across in South east Asia.

It on 33 Alan Pya Phaya Road, and very close to town. Great rooms and the staff is very helpful.

Seavision, I sent an e-mail to Mr. Voegl, no reply yet. Also PM you, did you get it? my e-mail [email protected]. Nice photographs!

Is the Pansea as nice as it looks.? Too far or what?

bkk harry, thanks for suggestion. Will look at that.

Please name of a bar or two where other expats may go, one or two restaurants. Only two nights, first time then later back.

Yes, I got your PM the other day, and I replied to it the same day. I've just re-sent it to your email address.

If you dont get it this time let me know and I'll post it.

Bars - the Savoy's bar is popular with expat residents. I believe some of my colleagues watched the football there a few nights ago between England and Switzerland. They have jazz on Wednesday nights, and a happy hour each night.

Frenz Restaurant is newly opened on the corner of Kaba Aye Road and Saya San Road, underneath the Pearl Condominium. It's a contemporary Bar/Restaurant with a cheap but hearty menu.

Thursday nights has some folks down at the Trader's bar on the mezzanine floor, to see the local blues band playing.

Did you need info on any 'later in the evening' nightlife as well? :o

The 50th Street Bar and Grill is a nice expat place.which by its name is located on 5oth street in the downtown area. Guy also owns the FCC in Phnom Penh. Good food and beer but a littlle pricey for Myanmar, but for us expats not to bad.

bkkharry,

Are Tom and Michelle still at 50th Street? Its been a while since I've made the trek over there. I do like the menu/prices/atmosphere, but unless you live downtown its half a day by camel with packed lunch to get there.

Haven't been to Pansea. It's reputedly one of the top hotels in Yangon, apparently on par with the Strand Hotel, but as yet I haven't got around to checking it out.

Yangon has been coming along in leaps and bounds, since they went on their drive to clean up the city and make the place beautiful. I'm very impressed with the improvements along both sides of Inya Lake, and the project around Kandawgyi. They have even made some sense of the roundabouts, and gotten rid of the weird tomato-thingy on top of the one at the Kaba Aye Rd junction.

I even heard they were going to ut a cable car across the lake. I'll believe that when I see it.

Just got back from Chiang Mai, cops cloesed bars at 12 pm! just wondering what time things close in Yangon?.. of course we'll see but still inquisitive... in warm climates nice to have dinner etc. after 11 pm. Other members might be interested in this too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks both for the info. Went to Yangon, stayed at Savoy, Alex Voegl, GM was very nice. Nice dinner, they have a new chef. For anyones interest, this is what we found walking around town often in rain!:

50th Street Bar and Grill. Nice

Strand- Lunch Not Great, Freezing A/C

Pansea, Nice Hotel, Rack rates crazy, USD 190+, Internet rates 100, still high, Rooms OK, not perfect.

Kandawgi Palace, Surprisingly good, had some renov. Rooms internet rate 55 USD, Rack rate 190!

Good 2 for 1 buffet dinner, good Romanian wine, USD 10 Bottle.

Sandys Burmese food next door, OK for lunch.

Green Elephant: Good Burmese food.