American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

how can any foreigner think that the customer was wrong ? even if arrogant or anything, any business that sue any customer should close definitively (at least).

whatever he did, the business is clearly managed by idiots, just read their reviews on all websites, you will understand.

Anyway this resort is now dead, just read the google reviews that are flooding...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sucit said:

Sets a horrible precedent and makes people fear leaving negative reviews.  Saying an establishment is not clean could be construed as a covid related jab. Where do you draw the line?

Reviews like this are one of the few areas where common people have power over corporations. This power gets abused all the time, sure, but live by the sword and die by it.

Thais can do what they want, but this clearly is not the correct decision. Publicly going after a guest will never be a good idea. 

Are you sure ? or it could just explain people that only brainless use their real name online and do not hide behind a vpn...

And when you want to kill a business, start doing it weeks after, not the next day...

I should think this has now moved into the realms of saving face. Those pressing charges cannot continue to allow themselves to be 'dissed' - it will challenge their status. Compared to this the veracity of the situation has no bearing upon the proceedings nor the continued good reputation of the resort.

They must 'win' and publicly. I'm afraid the poor naive customer is on a hiding to nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I disagree. If the guy has a genuine issue then he has the right to publish it on all media outlets and sites to tell others of his issue. After all not everybody will go to all the sites of every hotel to find his review and therefore get a false impression.

The only issue the hotel can possibly take up is having him post multiple reviews about the same hotel under different names on the same sites. That I would agree with as being defamtion. Otherwise they are fair game in my opinion to a review of the person feeling aggrieved on all review sites.

Your viewpoint is he could only complain on the BBC rather than ITV, Channel 4, 5 ABC, FOX - which is inappropriate in my opinion

he didn't have a genuine issue, was a cheap charley.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2