Jump to content

American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online


rooster59

Recommended Posts

When the resort sighed up for TripAdvisor they probably agreed to their "Terms & Condition" of which one is probably "you will not file Criminal charges against customer Reviews" ( or similar ).
Tripadvisor have the responsibility to protect customers by either by banning reviews completely from Thailand or at least banning the resorts who file Criminal charges against customers for bad reviews.
Google, Booking and Agoda should do the same. Sometimes you get good reviews sometimes bad grow up and live with it.

From what I understand he spent 3 days in prison and paid 100,000 for bail now imagine if that was you because you left a bad review on Google or TA.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 959
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sometimes do a trip advisor or Agoda review and then read the negative reviews after I have submitted mine. I often wonder if I have stopped at the same place, the comments can be exceptionally harsh and if you follow the poster tend to have a common theme, self importance.

One of my favourite restaurants in Krabi received two scathing reviews in a couple of days from so called Tourists so I checked their previous reviews, dozens of exotic locations ranging from South America, Seychelles, Mediterranean resorts and Asia all within twelve months, I think their reviews should be reviewed by the publishers.

If you have to complain do it direct, not in print, remember, if you can’t say anything nice, say nothing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Post derogatory remarks about Thailand tourism, accommodations, government,  monarchy,  restaurants,  women, climate, air quality, visa process and so on at your own risk...

 

Intolerant bunch!  OMG...someone in uniform is knocking on my door!

This about a immature USA drama queen with frial ego and the angry chekslovakia cry baby with frial ego. 

😭

 

Farang hotel owner. Farang make the problem. 

 

Maybe hormone problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This about a immature USA drama queen with frial ego and the angry chekslovakia cry baby with frial ego. 

😭

 

Farang hotel owner. Farang make the problem. 

 

Maybe hormone problems.

Big fight on ,I  need to read all the thread before I decide which side to join with  

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

That attitude explains why Farangs live in the 21st century, while Thais struggle to escape from the 19th century.

This drama is three farangs.

in the 21st century.

 

 

29 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

And no, I am not saying we are here to fight their battles for them.

But we should not stimulate them in their backwards thinking, or, like many, take advantage of it.

Fear = Power for some

Fear = Submission for most

Fight battle? 

Please not exaggeration.

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I sometimes do a trip advisor or Agoda review and then read the negative reviews after I have submitted mine. I often wonder if I have stopped at the same place, the comments can be exceptionally harsh and if you follow the poster tend to have a common theme, self importance.

One of my favourite restaurants in Krabi received two scathing reviews in a couple of days from so called Tourists so I checked their previous reviews, dozens of exotic locations ranging from South America, Seychelles, Mediterranean resorts and Asia all within twelve months, I think their reviews should be reviewed by the publishers.

If you have to complain do it direct, not in print, remember, if you can’t say anything nice, say nothing.

You were doing well - but the last sentence spoiled it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This about a immature USA drama queen with frial ego and the angry chekslovakia cry baby with frial ego. 

😭

 

Farang hotel owner. Farang make the problem. 

 

Maybe hormone problems.

Nope i don't believe so he's only the Manager from the Hotels response.

"To resolve the situation, our Director of Food and
Beverage, Mr. J (mentioned in the article as the manager from Czech Republic) stepped in and
negotiated with the party."

 

"We would also like to clarify that Mr. Tom Storup is not the manager mentioned in the review,
or the entity filing the complaint, he is simply the point of contact with the guest and the
resort."

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Big fight on ,I  need to read ail the thread before I decide which side to join with  

Just deport all three. 

Waste the police time. Immature.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Just deport all three. 

Waste the police time. Immature.

You mean deport the Thai resort owner as well haha just joking who is the owner any idea Thai or Farang even the manager has not been named as of yet?
Better idea ban the Hotel from Tripadvisor and ban reviews in Thailand completely because they serve no purpose if we can only make positive reviews without being arrested.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Yinn said:

This about a immature USA drama queen with frial ego and the angry chekslovakia cry baby with frial ego. 

😭

 

Farang hotel owner. Farang make the problem. 

 

Maybe hormone problems.

Is that your understanding Yinn? Interesting to observe this very Thai perspective.

 

For me this case is more about the misuse of a totalitarian Thai law of the Thai criminal code, created in Thailand to curb freedom of speech, by a hotel manager against a customer who executed the freedom of speech to write a review on Trip Advisor.

 

Interesting how you use this case to blame and ridicule foreigners, and blind out completely that it is about fundamental shortcomings of your Thai legal codes. 

 

Do you think a Thai never would do this what the hotel manager did? You think a Thai never would use the defamation law to prosecute someone telling the public something about a Thai business?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Farang hotel owner. Farang make the problem. 

The hotel is owned by a Farang? I admit I don't know who the owner is but I would bet my wallet its Thai owned. 

 

Two of the hotel staff are noted as being farang in the story. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

You mean deport the Thai resort owner as well haha just joking who is the owner any idea Thai or Farang even the manager has not been named as of yet?
Better idea ban the Hotel fro Tripadvisor.

 

No, kick the American guy out , his behavior has been appalling , upset because he cannot bring 7/11 drinks to his room . 

  White privilegefinished with the Thai Bahts increase abut 20years ago

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

 if we can only make positive reviews without being arrested.

 

BS

pleasenot exaggeration.

 

You read trip advisor. Thousands of negative review. Not arrested. 

 

Immature guys can not control behavior/mood. Frial. The USA guy sound racism. Mention chekslovakia many time. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No, kick the American guy out , his behavior has been appalling , upset because he cannot bring 7/11 drinks to his room . 

  White privilegefinished with the Thai Bahts increase abut 20years ago

Why do you not demand the deaths sentence for the guy? I mean, you are in Thailand. Everything is possible to achieve here at the court.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Why do you not ask for a deaths sentence for the guy? I mean, you are in Thailand. Everything is possible to achieve here legally.

The drunk USA guy have opportunity to stop, He choose continue. For month++

 

Sound like annoying. Deport, not need death sentence.

 

The winner is.......

lawyers.

 

idiots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

Why do you not ask for a deaths sentence for the guy? I mean, you are in Thailand. Everything is possible to achieve here legally.

Errmm Because I do not feel that death sentence should be the appropriatepunishment for his crime 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

So if we have a bad experience at a hotel and we leave a negative review about it....we can be done for defamation and be a criminal? 

Yes, acquaint yourself with Thai law before commenting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Errmm Because I do not feel that death sentence should be the appropriatepunishment for his crime 

Oh, good to know. I thought already that you are a very "tough" guy.

 

In my opinion, deporting a teacher who lives in Thailand for publishing a hotel review on Trip Advisor is already quite a bit over the top. But maybe despite beeing an alien I am too human for this country and for some tough foreigners like you here.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

So if we have a bad experience at a hotel and we leave a negative review about it....we can be done for defamation and be a criminal? 

If you post anonymously then you'll never have a problem.

 

Use VPN and set up a random email account with nondescript identity then use that email address to sign up to your preferred review sites with a further nondescript identity.  

 

We can moan all day about the laws of LOS, but if you want to mouth off and avoid the law then keep it anonymous.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Flying Saucage said:

Oh, good to know. I thought already that you are a very "tough" guy.

 

In my opinion, deportating a teacher who lives in Thailand for publishing a hotel review on Trip Advisor is already quite quite a bit over the top. But maybe I am too human for this country and for some other foreigners here.

No , the guy waged a war against his resort because they wouldnt allow him to bring beers in from 7/11

 Some "think they are privileged Caucasian guys " seem to think that rules dont apply to them n

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No , the guy waged a war against his resort because they wouldnt allow him to bring beers in from 7/11

 Some "think they are privileged Caucasian guys " seem to think that rules dont apply to them n

Is the 'complainer' a 'Caucasian guy' ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We have paid corkage in restaurants all amicable, one must expect to pay,

He had a simple choice pay, or drink establishment beer. Why ruin the night?

Yeah teach him a lesson..sue him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

Oh, good to know. I thought already that you are a very "tough" guy.

 

In my opinion, deporting a teacher who lives in Thailand for publishing a hotel review on Trip Advisor is already quite a bit over the top. But maybe despite beeing an alien I am too human for this country and for some tough foreigners like you here.

 

He didn't just "post a review". That's what normal people do. This guy kept posting more and more reviews, and all of them containing serious accusations. 

 

If he did it once or twice, I'd be with you. But this guy was on serious vengeance mission. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I refuse to leave bad reviews. Just walk away, never go back. Perhaps some word of mouth with friends, slander is much more difficult to establish than libel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

The Minkey house will sort him out. Don't drop your soap.

I don't know where the "Minkey house" is but if you know for sure it will sort him out...the sooner he goes there the better!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...