Passing Lane

tatom

I got a bit of a surprize the other day. While driving into Khon Kaen, I was pulled over at a roadblock. No problem I thought, Im obeying the law and have my Thai license.

The cop told me I had to pay 400 baht for driving in the passing lane. Its a divided highway with two lanes each side. I said I dont get it, whats the problem. He said the right hand lane is for passing only. We discussed it awhile and he called over his boss. I explained that I was passing a car, but that unlike most drivers I see here, I pull out to pass when Im about 50 meters from the vehicle Im passing and then I wait till Im about 50 meters passed before I return to the lefthand lane. I said its much safer that way than just whipping around a car coming within a meter or so of the other car.

The guy was very nice, asked about me, where I live etc, and said he would just give me a warning this time. He also said from now on, dont stay in the passing lane too long. I didnt want to get into how long was too long, I just gave him a few wais and thankyou very much.

I really didnt know it was illegle to drive in that lane and probable many others dont either.

Well, now I know, but that brings up a question. A couple kilometers past where I was stopped, the road changes to 4 lanes. Where is one supposed to drive on a 4 lane highway?

I've never seen this written anywhere official, but I believe the rules are much the same as the UK, you must return to the left hand lane except when passing other vehicles. I saw somewhere that this only applies on two lane sections (don't remember where so don't quote me on that one).

As to the definition of being 'too long' who knows, but I suggest that your 50m either side should be just fine, it's really aimed at those who trundle down the right lane at 50kph and don't move over for anyone.

I've been stopped a couple of times, mostly get off by saying that the left lane is so rutted by big trucks that it's dangerous for my little pickup, always worth a try as it's usually true.

thats actually correct, passing lane is for passing only.

Even here in the bush police stopped my wife one morning,,and cost was 100, she was alone in the car, so no farang effect.

I personally never been stopped for driving there even police been around...

Seems like cashing in time to time but honestly has been hearing that so many times, maybe it's one of those Polices unwritten rules...

I got a bit of a surprize the other day. While driving into Khon Kaen, I was pulled over at a roadblock. No problem I thought, Im obeying the law and have my Thai license.

The cop told me I had to pay 400 baht for driving in the passing lane. Its a divided highway with two lanes each side. I said I dont get it, whats the problem. He said the right hand lane is for passing only. We discussed it awhile and he called over his boss. I explained that I was passing a car, but that unlike most drivers I see here, I pull out to pass when Im about 50 meters from the vehicle Im passing and then I wait till Im about 50 meters passed before I return to the lefthand lane. I said its much safer that way than just whipping around a car coming within a meter or so of the other car.

The guy was very nice, asked about me, where I live etc, and said he would just give me a warning this time. He also said from now on, dont stay in the passing lane too long. I didnt want to get into how long was too long, I just gave him a few wais and thankyou very much.

I really didnt know it was illegle to drive in that lane and probable many others dont either.

Well, now I know, but that brings up a question. A couple kilometers past where I was stopped, the road changes to 4 lanes. Where is one supposed to drive on a 4 lane highway?

It's well known among the Thai's in Issan about getting stopped in KK for this very thing. My wife warned me long before we reached KK so I stayed in the correct lane and no problems.

They do the same thing from time to time on the road between Udon Thani and Nong Khai. They use a camera there to catch 'passing lane' drivers. Same 400 baht fine but can be talked down to 200 baht. They got me fair and square so I paid the 200 with no complaints. I was going 140 in the passing lane kilometer after kilometer. Strangely they didn't care that I was going 50kph over the speed limit.

Edited by LoveDaBlues

The rule applies only to certain roads, I think "national" highways are exempted, for example from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Not exempt. I've been stopped on this road. I was let off since I argued that the inside lane was in a ridiculously dangerous condition; that there was no other vehicle behind me; and that, had there been, I would have moved left to allow myself to be overtaken.

BTW, I never pay more than 200 baht in Bangkok, or 100 baht outside Bangkok for speeding offenses, etc.

Pretty funny crap I've been hearing since I returned here from the states.

Been driving in the states for over 10 years and have always been fearful of cops... "tried" as best to obey traffic laws, been caught speeding twice in all that time... and boy.. was I sorry.

Here, in BKK, the stories I've heard about cops and the "traffic laws" just makes me think I'm living in Disney Land...

<Dream On>

Maybe the cops here should get paid better so that they would have "less" of a reason to take "coffee money", and people would be more inclined to "obey" traffic laws....

<Dream Off>

If the Police asks 400 Baht for every driver who are using the passing lane without overtaken a car they will be very rich.
They do pull over every car that travels in the passing lane. They just don't see the cars when not set up. When travelling from BKK to up-country in a taxi I comlained to the driver about the rough ride and he wouldn't drive in passing lane unless I said I'd pay for ticket if stopped.

The rule applies only to certain roads, I think "national" highways are exempted, for example from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

Not exempt. I've been stopped on this road.

Where exactly? Up until Nakhon Sawan it's drive as you please, then there's a relatively new road bypassing NS and I think it's considered "provincial" highway.

It's well known among the Thai's in Issan about getting stopped in KK for this very thing. My wife warned me long before we reached KK so I stayed in the correct lane and no problems.

They do the same thing from time to time on the road between Udon Thani and Nong Khai. They use a camera there to catch 'passing lane' drivers. Same 400 baht fine but can be talked down to 200 baht. They got me fair and square so I paid the 200 with no complaints. I was going 140 in the passing lane kilometer after kilometer. Strangely they didn't care that I was going 50kph over the speed limit.

Probably should have started another topic ,but has anyone ever pleaded not guilty to an offense and gone all the way to court ?

Probably should have started another topic ,but has anyone ever pleaded not guilty to an offense and gone all the way to court ?

Even on Thaivisa I don't think anyone is that foolish.

Ilike it when i see these farang jumping up and down shouting "this would never happen in my country, police are corrupt, " blah blah blah ! ,blood pressure through the roof and thai gf looking at the noodle shop on the corner !

Maybe they only stop some cars in some provinces, but up north here, I have driven a lot in the left lane in the city and out on the superhighway, sometimes in moderately heavy traffic, sometimes above 130 kph indicated, and they never stopped me. Maybe you should switch to a sportbike. Maybe those big Fortuners unfortunately make the policeman think he can make a fortune.

Not exempt. I've been stopped on this road.

Where exactly? Up until Nakhon Sawan it's drive as you please, then there's a relatively new road bypassing NS and I think it's considered "provincial" highway.

I drove the return journey in my pickup every week for eight years from Bangkok to furthest north west Nakhon Sawan (before I quit Bangkok). Been stopped hundreds of times along this road. Was only stopped once as described in my previous post - somewhere before Nakhon Sawan. I can assure you that the police are legally empowered to fine you for this offence - I've seen many others fined.

Rgds

Khonwan

Yes - I pleaded not guilty...and got off. This happened around three years ago.

A long wheel-based lorry was trying to come round a bend of a tight and busy Bangkok soi. I stopped my pickup whilst he gingerly edged forward towards me. He necessarily came over the solid yellow line...then gashed my vehicle with his trailer side-hinges.

To cut a long story short, the other driver claimed I'd driven into him. With insurance assessors in tow, we trundled off to the local police station (Suan Plu), at my insistence. A/the senior officer there refused to have the site inspected (I explained it was physically impossible for the lorry to have negotiated the bend without crossing the solid yellow line). This cop was extremely obnoxious throughout my time at the station, and he received the same disdain from me.

This cop charged us both with careless driving (cab rut bamat). The other driver accepted this and payed his 1,000 baht fine. I refused.

Standing in collar & tie right in front of the full holding cell, I was fingerprinted and told I would have to go to court. This cop promised me that the judge (san) would never take my word over that of a Royal Thai Police officer. I retorted that the court certainly would accept the truth of my case if the judge was impartial since any other interpretation of the evidence was nonsensical.

I left the station with an appointment date to meet the prosecutor at the court offices. I left with faith in the system.

I visited the prosecutor - he reviewed the case and asked me to come back the following month. I did so - he told me that the prosecution service did not want to waste their time trying to prosecute me since the police case was without merit. He explained that he was sending the case back to the police for their review - it would be prosecuted if the police refused to withdraw the charge.

Following visit (yet another month later): no change - the prosecutor was still awaiting the police reply.

I then received a letter informing me that the charge had been dropped. My insurer then agreed to pursue the other driver's insurance for full damages to my pickup (only around 3,500 baht).

Money was never the issue (in fact, I never did bother to have the repairs carried out) - I simply never pay up if not at fault. I'm sure there are many here who would consider I should just have paid the fine rather than endure the considerable inconvenience - that would not be in my nature.

Rgds

Khonwan

The rule applies only to certain roads, I think "national" highways are exempted,

The rule applies when the cop that has pulled you over chooses that it or some other "law" applies, when a fine is mentioned without a ticket or other paperwork being forthcoming the fine becomes a fee, and when you "test the water" that the fee is a negotiated amount to establish that the cop accepts a back hander it simply becomes a trade. I see it as a small extra tax. I disagree with it, and reduce the fee down to as close to 100 Baht (Standard Thai price) as possible, but as I have written elsewhere on this board the alternative is that you go to the station, and do the papaerwork and pay the correct legal fine of 400 Baht.

Talking to the cop is a good policy during the hours of daylight, talk and talk, do not argue the toss, to not loose your temper. Look at the guy for what his is, a uniform scamming any motorists that get caught in his trap. He will not want to spend a long time chatting with you because he is loosing good paying motorists in the meantime.

I was stopped for the same thing some months ago down on Hua Hin bypass one night, the guy was "explaining" how bad a driver I was compared to good Thais for about five minutes. I almost stuffed a 500 Baht note in his mouth to shut him up as I was bored with his poor logic when I pointed out standing in the middle of a fast road at 1am waving only a small white torch with no red flashing lights or triangle signs was about as clever as a shellfish playing poker. No fine he just indicated me to go.

Another occasion I was driving like a loonly maybe 145 in a 90 limit and was pulled by a guy with most gold on his cap than BA Baracus. He just took pity on the stupid farang, leaned into the cab, tapped on the speedo and said "90 kilometres! Slow slow..." and let me go.

I know this road, it was a few years ago when it was just leveled red earth with a few machines still moving earth around. One afternoon in the truck we were overtaking some slow lorries in what would have been lane 2 east bound while we took advantage of being a lighter 4x4 to drive in what would become lane 1 west bound, with other cars and bikes dotted along the road driving east and west bound interlaced across the expance of road way, so typically Thai. I believe teh reason that there were no accidents was evryone was keeping their speed to a sensible limit and not racing.

Re. Khonwan's most interesting story. I know and understand that feeling, but was the 1,000 Baht worth your time?

I friend last year had a motoring problem in Pattaya, the police indicated that they wanted a big fine paid for some issue the details I forget. His Thai girlfriend was very well connected with the Royal household and a telephone call was made on his behalf. The following day it was suggested that he might like to attend Soi 9 and talk with General Nai Kor. The General (I was told) gave a typical Thai smile, saluted my friend and tore up the paperwork.

A small side project that I would value other's input to is on the subject of taming the local police. On another thread elsewhere on this board talking about theft, someone spoke of taking time to thank the local top cop for minor issues resolved so that when the big one happens a little pre smoothing of the waters has already happened, and there is an "understanding" already in place. Being a farang that is seen to be worthy of positive police action rather than simply a filed report that is only looked at by the local press aiming to fill for a few column inches.

On an individual basis I'm considering a few gifts to one cop's kids, only a sergeant now but I think he might do well in a few years. Then for wider coverage something to do with their team sports program, it would ensure the fitter police know who I am locally which might be useful.

I beleive the force in question is basicly straight, I was pulled over one night about two years ago for a failed light, after an attempted repair/replacement sale I was just asked to get it fixed the next day. No suggestion of a fine.

Well sorry, but you can't compare UK rules and Thai rules. In the UK it would make SENSE to just return to the left most lane, because it's an ACTUAL motorway that's completely separate; no dogs, motorbikes, pick-ups without lights or noodle carts suddenly popping out of a soi on to the main highway!

If the choice is between risking death in the slow lane and living in the fast lane (heh) but having to spot an occasional 100-200 baht then thats not the hardest choice in the world for me.

A long wheel-based lorry was trying to come round a bend of a tight and busy Bangkok soi. I stopped my pickup whilst he gingerly edged forward towards me. He necessarily came over the solid yellow line...then gashed my vehicle with his trailer side-hinges.

To cut a long story short, the other driver claimed I'd driven into him. With insurance assessors in tow, we trundled off to the local police station (Suan Plu), at my insistence. A/the senior officer there refused to have the site inspected (I explained it was physically impossible for the lorry to have negotiated the bend without crossing the solid yellow line). This cop was extremely obnoxious throughout my time at the station, and he received the same disdain from me.

This cop charged us both with careless driving (cab rut bamat). The other driver accepted this and payed his 1,000 baht fine. I refused.

Standing in collar & tie right in front of the full holding cell, I was fingerprinted and told I would have to go to court. This cop promised me that the judge (san) would never take my word over that of a Royal Thai Police officer. I retorted that the court certainly would accept the truth of my case if the judge was impartial since any other interpretation of the evidence was nonsensical.

I left the station with an appointment date to meet the prosecutor at the court offices. I left with faith in the system.

I visited the prosecutor - he reviewed the case and asked me to come back the following month. I did so - he told me that the prosecution service did not want to waste their time trying to prosecute me since the police case was without merit. He explained that he was sending the case back to the police for their review - it would be prosecuted if the police refused to withdraw the charge.

Following visit (yet another month later): no change - the prosecutor was still awaiting the police reply.

I then received a letter informing me that the charge had been dropped. My insurer then agreed to pursue the other driver's insurance for full damages to my pickup (only around 3,500 baht).

Money was never the issue (in fact, I never did bother to have the repairs carried out) - I simply never pay up if not at fault. I'm sure there are many here who would consider I should just have paid the fine rather than endure the considerable inconvenience - that would not be in my nature.

Rgds

Khonwan

Would you do it again ?

This is something that used to drive me nuts on my formerly frequent trips between Lampaqng and Bangkok.

I thought this was a universally known rule, the right lanes for passing.

'Cause haven't you noticed how on 2 lanes when people are driving on whichever side they want at whateve speed they want then the traffic clogs up. So you've got traffic on both lanes , a lot of slow drivers on the passing lane meaning you get held up for miles before you can pass.

I used to get real pissed of with that, then one day the police stopped me near uThai Thani as I was passing someone with a wide berth and tried to accuse ME of commiting said offence.

Oh, I thought, and of course no-one else is doing anything they should be stopped for! Uh?

I talked to him, refused to budge and he eventually let me go.

Rgds

Khonwan

Usally the police will hold your car until the story is cleared out. Did they not keeped your car in the policestation?

Usally the police will hold your car until the story is cleared out. Did they not keeped your car in the policestation?

No, they did not keep my vehicle; holding on to it was never discussed. I doubt if they could have since, the senior cop I dealt with was a right sod with me and surely would have had it been in his power. We were constantly at loggerheads for, I guess, two hours.

He wanted me to claim on my insurance (class 1; fully comprehensive) since he said this would cost me nothing - the other driver just had the basic cover. I explained that a claim on my policy would indeed cost me - it would cost me 2 years no-claim-bonus at next renewal plus would continue to cost me each year until my discount rate reverted to what it would have been. He told me that I was talking rubbish and I retorted that it was he that knew nothing of what he was speaking and that I knew since that had been my job many years before. I was happy, and surprised, to hear a more junior officer explain to him (all conversations were in Thai) that I was correct.

Insults were exchanged by both of us throughout my time at the station. He typed up "my" statement for the court and asked me to sign it. After having my wife read it to me in Thai, I told him to amend crucial portions of before I would sign it. He tore it up and told me to provide my own statement to the court.

It was an interesting experience. I have respect for decent cops just doing their job but contempt for the others.

(I hope this, my second attempt to reply, succeeds - first attempt got lost in cyberspace...and I had forgotten to first copy it.)

Edited by Khonwan

No, they did not keep my vehicle; holding on to it was never discussed. I doubt if they could have since, the senior cop I dealt with was a right sod with me and surely would have had it been in his power. We were constantly at loggerheads for, I guess, two hours.

He wanted me to claim on my insurance (class 1; fully comprehensive) since he said this would cost me nothing - the other driver just had the basic cover. I explained that a claim on my policy would indeed cost me - it would cost me 2 years no-claim-bonus at next renewal plus would continue to cost me each year until my discount rate reverted to what it would have been. He told me that I was talking rubbish and I retorted that it was he that knew nothing of what he was speaking and that I knew since that had been my job many years before. I was happy, and surprised, to hear a more junior officer explain to him (all conversations were in Thai) that I was correct.

Insults were exchanged by both of us throughout my time at the station. He typed up "my" statement for the court and asked me to sign it. After having my wife read it to me in Thai, I told him to amend crucial portions of before I would sign it. He tore it up and told me to provide my own statement to the court.

It was an interesting experience. I have respect for decent cops just doing their job but contempt for the others.

(I hope this, my second attempt to reply, succeeds - first attempt got lost in cyberspace...and I had forgotten to first copy it.)

:D he he now i feel . U actually WERE talking rubbish, but i don't blame you, because i have been IN THE SAME position myself ! motorbike drove into my new car lo :o . Well the good news IS : unlike in the west insurance premiums here have nothing to do with how good you drive/or how old u are. But fixed solely to the value(or cubic.c) of your vehicle ! So in ur case, the cop was actually right, ur insurance was needed to deal with accident, & they would make lorry driver pay up ! No police involvement was needed ! unless someone was injured ! Next time, don't challenge this country, but 'when in Rome' >just call ur insurance guy,& they'll come on their bike & do all the talk & walk for you :D

At lease SOME insurance companies give discounts to "no claims" customers so it's not total rubbish.

I'm familiar only with Bangkok-Nakhon Sawan stretch and I have never seen a police checkpost there or anyone pulled over for staying in the fast lane (have they painted the lanes yet?).

When that road branches off to Kamphengphet it's a different story, police is always there, and I have been caught for speeding once.

:D he he now i feel . U actually WERE talking rubbish, but i don't blame you, because i have been IN THE SAME position myself ! motorbike drove into my new car lo :o . Well the good news IS : unlike in the west insurance premiums here have nothing to do with how good you drive/or how old u are. But fixed solely to the value(or cubic.c) of your vehicle ! So in ur case, the cop was actually right, ur insurance was needed to deal with accident, & they would make lorry driver pay up ! No police involvement was needed ! unless someone was injured ! Next time, don't challenge this country, but 'when in Rome' >just call ur insurance guy,& they'll come on their bike & do all the talk & walk for you :D

Wrong!

I was insured with AXA. they did discount! And they confirmed a claim would cost my discount. Further more, I involved the police because (as I've already written) the other driver would not accept responsibility. Assessors from both insurance companies did come out (as I have also written - did you actually read my post???) but their job was complicated because (as I have written!) we were no longer at the accident site (before you criticize me for not staying at the site, go read my post!).

I've "challenged this country" (where I am very happy to live) loads of times throughout my 13 years here, and will continue to do so when the need arises - but thanks for your advice.

Do your research before you make a fool of yourself asiaworld.