Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Jack Hna said:

Koh Chang needs to pay big time for this. Koh Chang needs to be seperated and deported from the rest of thailand. It's the only logical solution to save Thai tourism.

I hope not. Koh Chang is a great holiday destination. I have made 30 visits and I love it. I visit 2-3 times per year. 

1 hour ago, micmichd said:

And hopefully for international gastronomy he will never come back. Thailand doesn't need scroungers. 

Anybody that leave a less than positive review is a scrounger? 6000 Baht a night I will say what I want and Im no scrounger 

• Like 1

Draconian defamation laws together with the ,clearly threatening,email response from the hotel eg  “we understand that you are still in Thailand” , that is enough for me and, I guess, the court of World opinion. This has done enormous damage to the country’s image. 
The background of the guest/reviewer is irrelevant as it always is , for 99.99% of the reviews on TA.

The hotel needs to quickly get off it’s high horse , apologies to the reviewer for the hasty response and move on. Otherwise this story is going to get completely out of control for them and for Thailand Tourism in general.

• Haha 1

Hotel shouldn't apologise to any guest that uses abusive language to a member of the hotel staff just because she informed him of the hotel rules regarding a corkage fee

As a standard, for any guest willing to bring their own bottled drinks there is a corkage fee of 500THB which you were informed by a member of our staff. When she informed you about our house rules you dismissed her and used abusive language towards her.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Don Mega said:

What bad service did this American receive ?

Absolutely terrible that they waived the corkage fee after he had a whinge about.... terrible terrible service!!

How do you or I know what really happened? we weren't there.

It's up to the customer to decide how he feels about the service he received as I said before that is how review sites work. It is then up to new customers to decide if the reviewer was being extra or not. Personally I would have read his review and thought he was being over the top about the corkage fee and still booked but I wouldn't book now that I could face jail for giving my opinion on my own stay it's just not worth it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

Hotel shouldn't apologise to any guest that uses abusive language to a member of the hotel staff just because she informed him of the hotel rules regarding a corkage fee

How do you know what really happened that night and what language was used? It's his word against there's but you are stating everything like you were there. 

You better hope that you don't one day end up in jail on some trumped up charges while people like yourself are on here telling everyone what you said without even knowing what happened first hand.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, misterjames said:

How do you know what really happened that night and what language was used? It's his word against there's but you are stating everything like you were there. 

It's not about that particular night. 

Go Google Sea View hotel reviews. Some one star with negative comments even including being bitten by bed bugs etc etc.

They have not been an issue or been removed. 

This fool went on campaign to hurt business with ONGOING reviews. 

Should be hit hard 

BTW Google defamation reviews Au. 

This guy is a fool. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's not about that particular night. 

Go Google Sea View hotel reviews. Some one star with negative comments even including being bitten by bed bugs etc etc.

They have not been an issue or been removed. 

This fool went on campaign to hurt business with ONGOING reviews. 

Should be hit hard 

BTW Google defamation reviews Au. 

This guy is a fool. 

At this point how can we know for sure it was this guy that wrote the extra reviews? he probably is a fool but does he deserve jail even if he did write some silly reviews? I don't think so. Also the hotel in my opinion must of really been annoying if he did choose to go to such lengths as to make fake accounts to post multiple reviews.

12 minutes ago, misterjames said:

You better hope that you don't one day end up in jail on some trumped up charges while people like yourself are on here telling everyone what you said without even knowing what happened first hand.

You making the assumption that the charges are trumped up made without foundation were you there I don't think so 

4 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

You making the assumption that the charges are trumped up made without foundation were you there I don't think so 

And you are making the assumption that the charges are not trumped up? do you see the irony? 

Also I did say I wasn't there if you read my post that was my point you weren't either so I don't know how you can be so sure of what happened that night? unless of course you have just decided you know best without even being there.

Just now, misterjames said:

At this point how can we know for sure it was this guy that wrote the extra reviews? he probably is a fool but does he deserve jail even if he did write some silly reviews? I don't think so. Also the hotel in my opinion must of really been annoying if he did choose to go to such lengths as to make fake accounts to post multiple reviews.

You new to Thailand? This will not go to court unless this yank is more of a fool than we already know. It will end in a wai and handshake. The hotel has been hit (not in my mind) and the aggressive kanker has spent couple nights in jail. Mind you he has been there done that in Kansas. 

Time to call it quits.

1 minute ago, misterjames said:

And you are making the assumption that the charges are not trumped up? do you see the irony? 

Also I did say I wasn't there if you read my post that was my point you weren't either so I don't know how you can be so sure of what happened that night? unless of course you have just decided you know best without even being there.

All the information can be found on Richard Barrow's twitter page and facebook

and since he has stated that the person in question is a friend of a friend the assumption is that he wouldn't allow any information on his pages that are factually incorrect would he...

• Like 1

Also I did say I wasn't there if you read my post that was my point you weren't either so I don't know how you can be so sure of what happened that night? u

What occured that night is confirmed by hotel and guy involved. Also subsequent posts on social media to Richard Barrow. Etc. 

You haven't followed thread at all. 

Go inform yourself. 

• Like 1

After dual pricing now foreigners will go to jail if they leave bad review of hotel online? Wow great way to promote Tourism welcome to land of fake smiles where you cannot do anythung except spending your money and f*** off back to your country, what will happen in next year is Thailand will beg for tourists to come back but nobody aint coming back than Thailand can make dual pricing for their own citizens and send them to jail over a bad review. And btw we will see hiw many visitors will actually wanted to visit that same hotel after make this drama or show on all domestic and foffshore news, they dig a hole themselve now they just have to jump in it. 

Edited by NB1986
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You new to Thailand? This will not go to court unless this yank is more of a fool than we already know. It will end in a wai and handshake. The hotel has been hit (not in my mind) and the aggressive kanker has spent couple nights in jail. Mind you he has been there done that in Kansas. 

Time to call it quits.

I love how people say are you new to Thailand? as if it makes any difference in a debate ???? but I will indulge you and tell you no I am not new in Thailand.

Anyway back to the point you make a lot of assumptions about someone you don't know lets hope you don't end up in a mix up here in Thailand while your bitter twisted fellow ex pats yell burn him on Thai visa without even knowing you or what happened really that night.

I really don't understand this crab mentality every other foreigner is a piece of <deleted> according to you guys.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

What occured that night is confirmed by hotel and guy involved. Also subsequent posts on social media to Richard Barrow. Etc. 

Go inform yourself. 

So we are gonna take some guy at the hotels word over another guys word that we don't know? ok then that's logical ????

So we are gonna take some guy at the hotels word over another guys word that we don't know? ok then that's logical ????

https://conandaily.com/2020/09/29/wesley-barnes-biography-13-things-about-u-s-man-jailed-over-tripadvisor-review-of-thai-resort/?fbclid=IwAR2Xq5IrOH_AqCuinT0QQhB3ujDoFcWTd2n5Gky9E0-6lTaEEs4n_UVxzM0

I would

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

A news article from a news agency with 345 followers it must all be true!

burn him! ????

https://twitter.com/conan_daily

Edited by misterjames
  • Sad 1

The customer is clearly a trouble making loser. However reviews/opinions shouldn't be addressed as criminal behavior.  The hotel should be avoided at all cost and the inappropriate law should be repealed.

Edited by rioD
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Go inform yourself. 

I guess you were in the restaurant when this happed and are informed.   I for one don't believe all the statements coming from the hotel or the American. You must really be a doctor. Simple deduction, the American can't say anything now as it is in litigation,  and the hotel's layer wants to put the best story foreword. This is one of the many draconian laws that keep the country from moving foreword. 

• Like 1

Some expats seem to assume by default that if a foriegner has been arrested by the police then he must have been guilty, case closed.

Perhaps this is a useful default position to take when living as an expat in the community - a type of adaptive evolutionary trait, similar to how horses teeth might change to adapt over time to more easily digest a different type of diet in order to survive.

• Like 2

I was once sitting at the bar of a hotel here in Phuket having a few beers on my own there was a Russian family sitting outside, the guy came in and ordered a bottle of Sangsom 1500 Baht the girl said, I looked but I didn't say anything.

I can partly understand the American guy who lives here knowing how much that bottle of Gin would be in 7/11 and seen the price in the hotel he should have checked to see if it was allowed to bring his own in and if any corkage would be charged seeing they decided not to charge him corkage then how can he complain about that? maybe pi$$ed.

12 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Anybody that leave a less than positive review is a scrounger? 6000 Baht a night I will say what I want and Im no scrounger 

No, but everyone that brings his own beverages into a hotel restaurant is a scrounger. He scrounges Thai labour. 

He could have asked in the hotel before. And TripAdvisor could have made it clear what corkage fee  means. Then this mess would probably not have happened. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, aroiaroi said:

Some expats seem to assume by default that if a foriegner has been arrested by the police then he must have been guilty, case closed.

Do they think that if they lick their Thai masters boots all day on here that when the tables turn and they have some unplanned legal trouble they will get some kind of pass by showing the officers their thaivisa posts? I can't quite work it out.. If that is the case they are severely delusional ???? 

2 hours ago, aroiaroi said:

Perhaps this is a useful default position to take when living as an expat in the community - a type of adaptive evolutionary trait, similar to how horses teeth might change to adapt over time to more easily digest a different type of diet in order to survive.

Some kind of Stockholm syndrome mixed with denial? about the injustices put upon their expat community? it must be the stupid farrangs fault right? it couldn't be that it might happen to them one day surely? it must be that every other farrang is a piece of <deleted> and deserves no legal rights. Or is it just a coping mechanism to try to convince themselves everything is fine? and that they made the right choice and it will never be them in this kind of situation.

tenor.gif

Edited by misterjames
  • Thanks 2